Planning and Design guidance
A Development Control Plan (DCP) provides detailed planning and design guidance for new development, which supplements the provisions of Randwick Local Environment Plan (LEP) 2012.
Draft Comprehensive Development Control Plan
Randwick City Council has commenced the comprehensive review of the existing 2013 DCP. DCPs need to be amended periodically to ensure they meet best planning practice, are strategically aligned with the LEP and local policies along with the directions of state plans.
The review is being progressed in two stages:
- Stage 1 includes changes to support the approved amendments to the Randwick LEP put forward under the Comprehensive Planning Proposal, including minimum lot size, dual occupancy development, heritage conservation areas and housing investigation areas.
- Stage 2 will involve review of all remaining parts of Randwick DCP to ensure the controls align with Council’s strategic directions and to address the evolution in design expectations since it was last comprehensively reviewed in 2013.
A draft of Stage 1 has been prepared for community and stakeholder review. Public exhibition is scheduled to commence in December 2022/January 2023.
Stage 2 of the review is anticipated to be prepared in early 2023 and released for community consultation in mid-2023.
Draft Interim Policy
At the 22 November 2022 meeting, Council resolved to endorse the Stage 1 Draft DCP as an interim policy, commencing on the date of gazettal of the Comprehensive LEP.
This means that once the LEP is gazetted, the draft controls contained within the Stage 1 Draft DCP become Council policy. If you are proposing any of the following works, your development application will need to consider the Stage 1 Draft DCP:
- Part C1 Low Density Residential PDF, 1199.95 KB – new development and alterations and additions to dwelling houses, dual occupancies (attached and detached), semi-detached dwellings and secondary dwellings
- Part E7 Housing Investigation Areas PDF, 5140.95 KB – new development and alterations and additions to existing development within the housing investigation areas
- Part B2 Heritage PDF, 8530.01 KB – new development and alterations and additions to existing development within the Moira Crescent and Edgecumbe Estate Heritage Conservation Areas
- Part E2 Randwick PDF, 7977.02 KB Education and Health Specialised Centre – development within the Health and Education Centre.
Randwick Comprehensive Development Control Plan 2013
Randwick DCP 2013 was approved at the Council meeting of Tuesday 28 May 2013 and formally commenced on Friday 14 June 2013. The 2013 DCP comprises the following:
Part A - Introduction
This Part provides introductory information and explains the structure of the DCP and how to use it. It describes key requirements to be addressed in development applications (DAs). Please note that Section A3 - Public Notification of part A is no longer applicable and has been repealed and superseded by provisions in a broader Community Participation Plan (CPP) which was adopted by Council on 10 December 2019. The CPP can be accessed here.
Part B - General Controls
This Part contains key controls that apply to all DAs and should be read in addition to the controls for particular development types and locations in other Parts of the DCP.
This Part covers design, heritage, ecologically sustainable development, landscaping and biodiversity, trees and vegetation, recycling and waste, traffic, parking and access, water management, management plans, foreshore scenic protection areas and laneway development.
Part C - Residential
This Part establishes provisions for all types of residential accommodation and includes guidance on site planning, building envelopes, building design, setbacks, open space, landscaped area, amenity, car parking and ancillary elements for low density and medium density residential development. This Part also has separate sections on boarding houses and adaptable and universal housing.
- Low Density Residential PDF, 2033.98 KB
- Medium Density Residential PDF, 2123.27 KB
- Adaptable & Universal Housing and Boarding Houses PDF, 83.82 KB
Part D - Commercial and Industrial
This Part focuses on the City's commercial centres with specific sections for certain Centres including:
- Randwick Junction Centre PDF, 583.24 KB
- Maroubra Junction Centre PDF, 6184.91 KB
- Matraville Centre PDF, 1633.41 KB
- Maroubra Beach Centre PDF, 2356.72 KB
- The Spot, Randwick PDF, 470.04 KB
- Neighbourhood Centres - General controls PDF, 295.95 KB
This Part also sets out provisions for specific commercial land uses such as backpackers accommodation, child care centres, footpath dining and trading, late night trading and sex service premises. It also includes a section on industrial development:
Part E - Specific Sites
This Part provides additional provisions for Specific Sites in the City. These override similar provisions in other parts of the DCP unless otherwise noted. The specific sites are:
- Bundock St, Randwick PDF, 4020.86 KB
- Randwick Education and Health Specialised Centre PDF, 18897.14 KB
- Royal Randwick Racecourse PDF, 1591.25 KB
- Prince Henry Site - Little Bay PDF, 8083.54 KB
- Newmarket Green - Randwick E5 PDF, 2875.27 KB
- Kensington and Kingsford - PART A PDF, 6804.17 KB
- Kensington and Kingsford - PART B PDF, 18105.02 KB
- Kensington and Kingsford - PART C PDF, 536.14 KB
- Kensington and Kingsford - PART D PDF, 1047.37 KB
Part F - Miscellaneous
This Part includes a range of uses and development that may arise across the City in a variety of zones. It includes provisions relevant to recreation zones, outdoor advertising, Sydney Airport (noise and height), undergrounding overhead powerlines, telecommunications and radio communications, and must be referred to depending on the location and nature of the proposed development.
To view the DCP public exhibition documents, including all submissions made on the draft DCP, responses to these submissions and the draft final DCP that was reported to the Council on 28 May 2013, go to the special consultation website Draft DCP.
Note DAs lodged before the 15 February 2013 are assessed under the previous local planning controls, being Randwick LEP 1998 (Consolidation) and previous DCPs. Refer to the archive pages here for the and DCPs and planning policies.
View the Archive of previous DCPs .
To see any draft plans on exhibition check the community consultation page