Choose your development

Generally, development including building work and renovations may:

  • be Exempt Development;
  • be Complying Development; or
  • need a Development Application and a Construction Certificate

Council's Building section gives an overview of the approvals and certification process.

Exempt Development

If your development meets the nominated criteria for exempt development, Council consent is not required.

Complying Development

If your development meets the nominated criteria for complying development, a complying development certificate is required. A complying development certificate may be issued by Council or a private Accredited Certifier.

Development requiring a Development Application

All development proposals that do not meet the nominated criteria for exempt or complying development will require a development application.

If your proposal requires a development application and involves building work, you are required to:

  1. Submit a to Council
  2. Obtain Development Consent, subject to the application complying with relevant planning and environmental considerations
  3. Obtain a Construction Certificate from Council or a private Accredited Certifier
  4. Appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) - either Council or a private Accredited Certifier) and notify Council of the appointment
  5. Notify Council of the date when it is intended that works will commence
  6. Organise for the Principal Certifying Authority to inspect the construction works at specified stages; and
  7. Obtain an Occupation Certificate from the Principal Certifying Authority, before using the building.

Note: Steps 4 to 7 also apply to Complying Developments

Further information
You may contact us by phone or email, or come into our Customer Service Centre to discuss your proposal with our duty officer.

Common Building Projects

Last Updated: 25 October 2022
Back to top