Building overview

Prior to carrying out any building work or renovations, it is important to find out if the particular work requires approval from Council and or an Accredited Certifier.

In most cases, you will need to lodge a development application with Council and obtain a Construction Certificate from either Council or an Accredited Certifier.

In some cases, only a Complying Development Certificate may need to be obtained from the Council or Accredited Certifier.

Certain types of small-scale development, building work and changes of use of a premises, may be classed as Exempt Development and not require Council approval, subject to specific requirements and limitations.

All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and relevant Australian Standards.

Last Updated: 2 October 2020
Back to top