FOGO like a pro
Tips & Tricks
Here we share some more tips and tricks so you can learn how to FOGO like a pro. We would like to give a big ‘thank you’ to our community who have embraced FOGO. Thanks to your efforts we are diverting 97% more green waste away from landfill.
There are five simple things you can do keep flies and smells out of your FOGO bins and caddies this summer. Join Costa and Alex to find out what they are! Fogo like a pro!
- If you would like to purchase your own bags, please make sure they have the AS4736 compostable certification below:
- Compostable liners are made from plant based materials and therefore are softer than normal plastic
- To open the liner, gently rub the top between dry hands
- Store in a cool, dry place so they don’t begin to break down
- One pack of liners is delivered to residents every year
- Liners begin to break down when in contact with liquids, so empty more frequently if your liners begin to split
- You don’t have to use the compostable liners – you can put loose food directly in your caddy and bin or wrap food in newspaper or paper towel
To order new FOGO caddy liners please use the link below or call our Customer Service Centre on 1300 722 542.
- Keep your caddy or container close to kitchen work area for convenience – e.g. on benchtop, in a cupboard or under the sink
- Close the kitchen caddy lid
- Line your caddy with a certified compostable liner or wrap food in newspaper or paper towels
- Store your caddy out of direct sunlight
- Empty every 2-3 days, or as needed
- Take your caddy out to your bin to prevent any spills when emptying it
- Sprinkle bicarbonate soda in the bottom of your caddy
- Clean your caddy regularly with warm soapy water
- Place food waste in a compostable liner and tie up the bag before placing into the bin
- Store your FOGO bin out of direct sunlight
- Store meat or fish scraps in the freezer and adding these to the bin the night before collection wrapped in paper.
- Line the bottom of your bin with garden clippings to prevent loose food waste getting stuck to bottom
- Layer garden clippings on top of food waste
- Place your FOGO bin out for collection every week, even if there is only a small amount inside
- Clean your bin regularly with warm soapy water
Last Updated: 18 May 2023