Tips & Tricks
Here we share some more tips and tricks so you can learn how to FOGO like a pro. We would like to give a big ‘thank you’ to our community who have embraced FOGO. Thanks to your efforts we are diverting 97% more green waste away from landfill.
There are five simple things you can do with food leftovers to make sure that your scraps don't go into landfill. Join Costa and Alex to find out what they are! Fogo like a pro!
- Keep your caddy or container close to kitchen work area for convenience – e.g. on benchtop, in a cupboard or under the sink
- Close the kitchen caddy lid
- Wrap food in newspaper or paper towels
- Store your caddy out of direct sunlight
- Empty every 2-3 days, or as needed
- Take your caddy out to your bin to prevent any spills when emptying it
- Line the bottom of your caddy with shredded paper or paper towel to absorb liquids or odours
- Sprinkle bicarbonate soda in the bottom of your caddy
- Clean your caddy regularly with warm soapy water
- Place shredded paper or paper towel on top of the food scraps
To order new FOGO caddy liners please use the link below.
- Place food waste in a compostable liner and tie up the bag before placing into the bin
- Store your FOGO bin out of direct sunlight
- Store meat or fish scraps in the freezer and adding these to the bin the night before collection wrapped in paper.
- Line the bottom of your bin with garden clippings or shredded paper to prevent loose food waste getting stuck to bottom
- Layer garden clippings or shredded paper on top of food waste
- Place your FOGO bin out for collection every week, even if there is only a small amount inside
- Clean your bin regularly with warm soapy water
- To make the liners compostable, they are made from corn starch and therefore softer than normal plastic
- To open, gently tear liners off the roll and rub the top between dry hands
- Store in a cool, dry place so they don’t begin to break down
- Dog bags provided by council in our open spaces are certified compostable and can go in the FOGO bin.
- A roll of 52 liners will be delivered to residents every 3 months – this will last the 3 months if you use 2-3 liners per week
- Liners begin to break down when in contact with liquids, so empty more frequently if your liners begin to split
- You don’t have to use the compostable liners – you can use a paper bag, put loose food in your caddy and bin or wrap food in newspaper or paper towel
- If you would like to purchase your own bags, please make sure they have the compostability certification and are green.
To order new FOGO caddy liners please use the link below or call our Customer Service Centre on 1300 722 542.