Driveways & works

Gaining approval to build a driveway or other works on Council land

What to do before you start building

Driveways and other works on the road and footpath are not covered by Development Applications and require a separate approval from Council.

It is important that an approval for these civil works is obtained prior to any excavation and or construction commencing on public land. The steps and options available for civil works on public land are outlined below. These include making payments and arranging inspections with Council. Please read the following information carefully prior to submitting your Civil Works Application Form PDF, 76.35 KB.

Note: If a driveway or other works are constructed on Council's nature strip or road reserve without a civil works approval, it may be removed by Council and the area restored at your expense.

Council driveways in residential areas are to be of a plain white concrete finish. Faux brick, tiling and similar paving do not meet the requirements of Council's policy.

Step 1: Car space approval 

The construction of a new driveway in a location where there has not been a driveway before, is always associated with some form of planning approval whether it be a Development Application (DA), Complying Development Certificate (CDC) or Exempt and Complying Development (ECD).

Before applying for a new driveway, please ensure that planning approval has been obtained for a car space or garage through a DA, CDC or ECD.

Step 2: Completing the application form

Once you have a planning approval for the internal car space and can demonstrate vehicle access, you may lodge the Civil Works Application Form (pdf 137KB). Please ensure that you complete all parts of the form before lodging the application with Council. Additional information that you may provide to explain or support the application will assist in the administration and processing.

Design of the works

You must attach a site plan confirming the location of proposed works and details of any structures or drainage lines proposed to be installed or adjusted within the road reserve. Council may seek amendments or additional information as well as Structural Certification. Council will provide typical construction details relating to driveways, kerbs, footpaths or drainage structures that may be required with our letter of approval.

If the works include a vehicular crossing the applicant shall submit, with the Civil Works Application Form, a cross section drawing of the crossing to demonstrate that the property can be accessed without scraping in accordance with Australian Standard AS2890.1.

To allow assessment against AS2890.1 the cross section shall include the levels of the vehicle path from the centre line of the road to the car space location. Importantly, the assessment needs to make provision for footpath crossfalls not greater than 2.5% for existing footpaths or in the case when a footpath does not exist, provision should be made for a 1.3m wide footpath, at 2.5% crossfall, in a location 0.5m from the boundary. Further, if boundary alignment levels have been issued then the design shall comply with these levels.

Alternatively, Council can provide a driveways design service for dwellings up to Dual Occupancy.

Choice of contractor

The application provides you the choice of contractor to undertake the work.

Option 1: Construction by Council's contractor

This option is not available to developments which require other concrete works within the property. Council also recommends that applicants use their own contractor if the works are required to be completed prior to the issuing of an Occupation Certificate.

Randwick City Council obtains quotations from a list of Council nominated contractors. The cheapest quote is selected and the applicant is sent a letter detailing the cost of the proposed construction. This cost will also include work quality inspection fees.

When full payment is made by the applicant, the work is scheduled and the civil works are constructed under the supervision of a delegated Council officer.

Option 2: Construction by a contractor of your choice

Under this option, the applicant is sent the approved design and a letter of approval conditions. The letter also details the cost of the work quality inspection fees and a workmanship bond.

The applicant is then able to select a contractor of their choice, provided that they satisfy the following requirements:

  1. $10,000,000 public liability insurance cover
  2. Prior evidence of satisfactory workmanship
  3. Ability to comply with WorkCover and Work Health and Safety (Including Traffic Control in compliance with Australian Standard 1742.3 – Traffic Control for Works on Roads)
  4. Selected contractors must be capable of completing all works shown on issued construction plans including drainage, roadworks and soft landscaping to Council's specifications

Step 3: Lodging the application form

Once you have completed your Civil works application form you will need to lodge it with the Customer Service Centre.

You will be charged an application fee as quoted on the form when lodging the application.

In order to request an on-site meeting regarding the design, please contact Council's Engineering Technical Officer on 9399 0922.

Step 4: Approval letter

The application will be assessed once the form has been lodged at Council and the application fee is paid.

A letter will be sent to you detailing costs and other important information. The letter will also include approved drawings, sketch plans and construction details as required to depict the approved scope of work. It is important that you review the letter thoroughly so that you understand both the extent of work that is to be carried out and the conditions of approval.

Payment for the full amount can be made by cheque, bank cheque, EFTPOS, Credit Card or cash. Payments may be made in person at Council's Customer Service Centre at 30 Frances Street.

Note: At present, Council processes Civil Works Applications in approximately 15 to 20 working days.

Step 5: Constructing the driveway

Council will not permit the construction of the driveway on the road reserve until:

  1. Internal works are complete;
  2. The internal driveway has been constructed or formed up to the property boundary and to the correct levels;
  3. All building materials have been removed from Council's nature strip and roadway;
  4. Fees and bonds outlined in the letter of approval have been paid in full.

In the case that you have selected  - Option 1, the work will be added to the contractor's work program upon payment of the fees nominated in the letter of approval. Council's delegated officer will manage the contractor and undertake necessary inspections to ensure that the works are completed in accordance with the design and to Council's standards.

In the case that you have selected - Option 2, once payment of the bond and work quality inspection fee has been made, you can liaise with Council's Engineering Technical Officer regarding the timing of inspections and details of the works.

Note: You should not pay your contractor any monies until Council has inspected the driveway and the work has been completed satisfactorily. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all of the necessary Council inspections are arranged as required.

Step 6: Refunding the workmanship bond

If you have elected to use your own contractor, then you should write to Council at to request a final inspection on completion of the works.

The email should include the following information:

  • Application number
  • Address where the civil works had taken place
  • The full name of the original payer (person/company) who made the original payment of The Workmanship Bond
  • The preferred method of received the refund:
    • For Cheques, please provide the postal address of the original payer
    • For Electronic Transfers, please provide the correct BSB number, account number and account name

The Workmanship Bond will be released once the works have been completed to Council's satisfaction.

Back to top