Lodge an application

Online lodgement of applications is now available

From 1 July 2021, all applications for development and building approvals including private Certifier registration of Construction Certificates and Complying Development Certificates within the Randwick City Council local government area must be submitted through the NSW Planning Portal website (with some exceptions as noted below), in accordance with the NSW Government’s new Environmental Planning and Assessment Amendment (Planning Portal) Regulation 2020. Applicants must have an email address and be able to provide electronic files to upload via the NSW Planning Portal website.

This change affects all Development Applications, Construction Certificates and Occupation Certificates, Subdivision Certificates, Complying Development Certificates, and appointments of a Principal Certifier.

Local Approval applications (i.e. footway dining applications) can only be accepted over the counter noting that these cannot be lodged electronically.

Pre-lodgement applications are accepted via Council’s own online lodgement process.

Council staff are available to assist with enquiries regarding the lodgement and application assessment process, and there is more information on the NSW Planning Portal.

Lodging applications

  • Option 1: NSW Planning Portal
  • Option 2: Council’s Online Services (pre-lodgement applications only)
  • Option 3: By Mail/Courier (Footway Dining)
  • Option 4: In person at Council’s Customer Service Centre (Footway Dining)

The following provides further information for each of the above options:

Option 1: Lodging via the NSW Planning Portal:

From 1 July 2020, the following applications can be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal:

  • Development Applications
  • Section 4.55 and Section 4.56 Modification Applications
  • Section 8.2 Review Applications
  • Construction Certificate and Occupation Certificate Applications
  • Subdivision Certificate Applications
  • Complying Development Certificate Applications

You can submit your application via the NSW Planning Portal from your home or office, or there is a computer available at Council’s Customer Service Centre (the computer can accept a USB). If you need assistance using the Planning Portal, please view the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment’s How To Guide or contact Service NSW on 1300 305 695.

When you lodge your application via the NSW Planning Portal, you will still need to provide all of the relevant information required by Randwick City Council. Please ensure to also have the relevant Application Form and checklist filled out and submitted.

The cost summary report must be prepared in accordance with Council's S7.12 development contributions plan. If the cost of your development is $500,000 or more, a detailed cost report will need to be prepared by a Registered Quantity Surveyor.

A Council Officer will use the application checklist to check your application. Council will only accept an application that is provided with all necessary information.

To lodge your application via the NSW Planning Portal, you need to register for a NSW Planning Portal account. Once you are logged in as a registered user, you need to:

  • Complete the online application.
  • Upload all the required application documents (forms, plans and supporting documents) which apply to your proposal as stipulated in Council’s application form and checklist.

Your application won't be formally lodged via the NSW Planning Portal until it has been checked by Council, and the correct fees have been paid. Please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 1300 722 542 to request a fee quote for your proposal.

Once your application has been checked for completeness, an email will be sent to the applicant with a reference number and payment must be paid via Council’s Epathway online services (i.e. credit card via Council’s website).

The application is considered to be lodged once the necessary information has been provided and the correct fees have been paid. Application fees not paid within 5 days of the reference number being issued will be cancelled.

Option 2: Lodging via Council's Online Services:

From 1 January 2021, only Pre-lodgement applications can be lodged via Council's Online Services.

You will need to complete the Pre-lodgement application form and checklist. The application form must be signed by you as the applicant.

To lodge an application via Council's online service you will need to:

Step 1 - Register to become an online user 

Select 'register here' on Council's online services homepage and enter your details to become an online user. Once you are a registered user you will have full access to online services and can submit multiple applications.

Step 2 - Submit your application details 

Return to the online services homepage and select 'Submit an application'. You then need to follow the prompts and provide the required information. At the end of the process, your application details will be sent to Council for checking. If all information is complete you will be sent a DA fee quote via email.

Step 3 - Pay the application fees 

To complete the lodgement process, you will need to pay the application fee. This may be done through Council's online services homepage.

Options 3 and 4: Lodging by Mail/Courier or in person at Council’s Customer Service Centre

From 1 January 2021 only Local Approval applications (i.e. footway dining applications) can be lodged over the counter.

If you are lodging an application by mail or in person at Council’s Customer Service Centre, your application must be accompanied by a USB containing ALL forms, plans (in colour) and documents saved as separate unprotected files in .pdf format.

If lodging by mail, your application must be submitted with a cheque. If lodging by mail or in person please provide the applicable application fee. Please contact us to obtain a fee quote.

Disclosure of political donations and gifts

Within NSW there is legislation surrounding political donations and gifts. If you (or anyone with a financial interest in the application) have made any political donations or gifts, it is your responsibility to ensure that you make the necessary declarations when lodging your DA.

If you (or an associate) have made a reportable political donation or gift within two years of the lodgement date, you must complete and submit a Political Donations and Gifts Disclosure Statement PDF, 69.36 KB.

Copyright matters

Council may be required to copy parts of your development application (and supporting information) for the purpose of obtaining public comment and/or making the information available under the provisions of Section 6 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 and Schedule 1 of the Government Information (Public Access) Regulation 2009 which includes publishing information electronically on Council's website.

Consequently, you are required to obtain a licence to use any copyright material forming part of your development application from the relevant copyright holder.

Allocation and referrals

Once a DA is lodged, initial processing takes place with the Development Application Committee (DAC). This involves:

  • allocating the application to an Assessment Officer
  • referring the application to relevant internal Council Officers, external agencies and Government Departments for review and comment (if required)

You will receive an acknowledgement letter including your Application Reference Number and contact details for the Assessment Officer.

Online tracking of development applications

Council's online services also provide information relating to:

  • Development applications currently under assessment by Council
  • Development applications lodged and determined from 2006
Last Updated: 25 October 2022
Back to top