How much land and water do we need to support our modern lifestyles?
Australia has the fifth highest ecological footprint in the world, which is a footprint three times the global average.
Current estimates show that if the world's population used resources at the same rate as the Australian average, we would need the equivalent of 3 to 4 planets of resources each year.
What does it measure?
The ecological footprint takes into consideration
- how you live at home
- how you travel
- where your food comes from
- the goods and the services you buy
- and finally the waste you generate
Calculate your own footprint
Interested in finding out your individual eco-footprint?
Please refer to the links below to determine your impact on the environment
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF): Footprint calculator;
- Global Footprint Network: Global footprint calculator.
Last Updated: 24 October 2022