Road & footpath excavations

Rules for excavating public land

Randwick City Council is the Roads Authority under The Roads Act 1993 and is responsible for the condition of road and footpath assets. Accordingly, Council is required to manage any excavation of these assets to ensure that the integrity is maintained.

Before you dig up a road or footpath

Organisations that need to excavate a road, footpath or other public place to access an underground utility service must submit an Asset Opening Permit application before commencing works.

Please ensure that you have completed all parts of the form before lodging the application with Council along with the appropriate restoration fees as published in Council's adopted Fees and Charges PDF, 323.3 KB.

Lodgement of forms and payment can be made by cheque, bank cheque, EFTPOS, Credit Card or cash. Payments may be made in person at Council's Customer Service Centre at 30 Frances Street, Randwick.

Compliance rules for excavation contractors

Contractors applying to excavate Council's road, footpath or other public place must comply with the following:

  1. $10,000,000 public liability insurance cover
  2. Prior evidence of satisfactory workmanship
  3. Ability to comply with SafeWork NSW and Work Health and Safety (Including Traffic Control in compliance with Australian Standard 1742.3 – Traffic Control for Works on Roads)

In addition to the above, it's important the contractors read and comply with all of the conditions PDF, 443.66 KB on the Asset Opening Permit application form.

Other works on public land

If your project requires other works on public land then visit the Driveways or Works on Public Land page.

Last Updated: 25 October 2022
Back to top