Registered premises overview

Registering business premises with Council

Relevant approvals and certificates are required to be obtained before commencing or changing the use of business premises. 

In most cases you will need to submit a Development Application and obtain a Construction Certificate before commencing the use of a premises or carrying out any building work, including any fit-out work. 

Sometimes, only a Complying Development Certificate is required to be obtained from Council or an accredited certifier and some changes of a similar-type use premises may not require Council approval, subject to certain exempt development requirements being met.

As part of its responsibilities in maintaining public health and safety, certain types of premises to be registered with Council prior to commencing the use of the business. 

Council's Environmental Health Officers and Building Surveyors carry out inspections of these premises from time-to-time, to ensure that relevant public health and fire safety requirements are being satisfied.

Types of premises to be registered

The following types of premises must be registered with Council:

The following changes for these premises must also be registered with Council:

  • change of proprietor or business manager
  • change in business operations
  • change of addresses.

Compliance requirements

The operation and maintenance of premises must comply with the relevant laws, standards and approvals. Where the premises don't comply, Council can issue on-the-spot fines and give directions to comply.

Where there is a serious breach Council can start legal proceedings, which may result in a significant penalty.

Council inspections

Council's Environmental Health and Building officers can inspect business premises to check compliance. After the inspection, Council will send an invoice for the inspection which must be paid within a set period. The fee is set out in the City Planning section of Council's Fees and Charges.

Last Updated: 24 October 2022
Back to top