Overgrown & unsafe land

How Council deals with overgrown land

Overgrown land can pose health, safety and environmental hazards. Read how Randwick City Council deals with land that's abandoned, uncared for or otherwise unsafe.

Council officers deal with a variety of general nuisances such issues as overgrown vegetation, accumulated rubbish, and unsafe or unhealthy conditions of private land.

Many properties may be considered to be untidy, but untidy does not necessarily mean that the property is in an unsafe or in an unhealthy condition and requires Council intervention.

Council encourages residents to try to solve the problem amicably by talking to the property owner or manager agent if known. Often people are unaware that their activity or lack of property maintenance is causing a problem and are usually happy to address the problem after being notified.

Council officers will respond to a customer service request by undertaking an inspection of the property to determine if the property is maintained to a reasonable standard to ensure conditions do not pose a health and safety risk.

Should Council determine the property is unsafe or unhealthy, correspondence will be sent to the owner and/or occupier of the property requiring action to be taken to rectify the situation. Most cases are resolved amicably at this stage of action.

However, if works are not undertaken and an authorised Council officer considers the land to be in an unsafe or unhealthy condition, Council may be able to issue a notice or order under the Local Government Act 1993, requiring work to be carried out to make the land safe and healthy.

Council also recommends that the owners of vacant land establish an agreement with a mowing contractor to maintain the land on a regular basis.


Penalties range from an 'on-the-spot' fine of $330 being issued or up to $22,000 if action is pursued through the courts.

Last Updated: 24 October 2022
Back to top