Microchipping & registration

Due to the coronavirus we’ve closed many of our facilities including the Customer Service Centre. Please visit our COVID-19 page to see what is impacted.

How to microchip your companion animals

More than 150,000 dogs and cats are lost or stolen every year in New South Wales. Many are transferred to animal shelters because their owner can't be contacted. Some may end up being re-homed or even destroyed.

To decrease the number of pets that are euthanised each year, the Companion Animals Act requires all NSW dog and cat owners to have their pets permanently identified and registered for life.

Microchipping and registration is a two step process that requires dog and cat owners to:

  1. Have their animals implanted with a microchip by the time they are 12 weeks of age, at the point of sale or change of ownership (whichever occurs first).
  2. Register their animals with the NSW local council by 6 months of age.

Step 1 – Microchipping and identification (required by 12 weeks)

A vet or accredited implanter can microchip your pet and fill out a Permanent Identification form. The vet or implanter will forward the form so your pet will be entered onto the NSW Companion Animals Register.

Congratulations! You will then be sent a Certificate of Identification and Lifetime Registration Form.

Step 2 – Registration (required by 6 months)

You must fill in a Lifetime Registration Form and bring it (or send it) to Council along with your copy of the Certificate of Identification. Also bring your desexing certificate or pensioner card if you want a discount.

A Certificate of Registration will be posted to you once it is processed.

Payment Options

  • Pay in person at Randwick City Council’s Customer Service Centre - 30 Frances St, Randwick during business hours Monday to Friday
  • Pay by post - please enclose a cheque or money order along with a completed Registration form and copy of desexing certificate if applicable
  • Registration can also be paid online at NSW Pet Registry. If registering online, email a copy of the desexing certificate to council@randwick.nsw.gov.au first to ensure you pay the correct amount.

Change of Address or Owner

If you change ownership of your pet it is the responsibility of the original or previous owner to ensure the Change of Owner Form is signed and completed by both parties and submitted to Council within 14 days or penalties may apply.

If you change address please complete the Change of Address Form. This must be done within 14 days of moving or penalties may also apply. Any other change of details such as phone number should be done on the Change of Owner Form.

All forms, together with any proof required, should be mailed to Council.

If you have any enquiries regarding the details of your pet, please contact Council's Call Centre on 1300 722 542 during business hours, Monday to Friday.

Pets and the Law

Permanent Identification Form

Lifetime Pet Registration Form


  • Desexed animal: $58
  • Non-desexed animal: $210
  • Breeder concession: $58
  • Pensioner concession (desexed animal only): $25
  • Desexed animal sold by eligible pound/shelter: $29
  • Maximum fee for Council inspections of restricted and dangerous dog enclosures: $150

Lifetime registration fees will be annually indexed to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) from 1 July 2019.

Change of Pet Owner Details Form

Companion Animals Change of Address Form

Penalty Notices

Dog and cat owners may be issued with a Penalty Notice if they fail to microchip and register their animal.

Back to top