McIvers Baths

McIvers Baths

145-149R Beach Street, Coogee NSW 2034

145-149R Beach Street, Coogee NSW 2034
  • Toilets
  • Changing facilities
  • Showers

  • Ladies only

  • Smoking is prohibited in this area
  • Dogs prohibited
  • Glass prohibited
  • Fires prohibited

Features

McIver's Baths are perched on a cliff face and rock platform between Coogee Beach and Wylie's Baths. The baths have magnificent oceans views and are relatively well screened from the surrounding area. Steps lead from Grant Reserve down the cliff to the pool.

The baths consist of a large concrete sea pool, brick sunbathing area, change rooms, amenities block and small clubhouse. It is surrounded by native coastal vegetation and small grassed areas.

It is the last remaining women's-only seawater pool in Australia and has been in continuous use since its establishment. The State Government granted the pool an exemption from the New South Wales Anti-Discrimination Act in 1995. They are open only to women and children. There are numerous other nearby ocean pools that are not restricted including Wylie's Baths, Ross Jones Memorial Pool and Giles Baths.

Hours of operation

The pool is open from Sunrise to Sunset. However, these times are subject to suitable weather and tidal conditions. Facilities are closed one hour before Sunset for cleaning.

Regular maintenance by the Randwick City Council is scheduled on Tuesdays. For safety reasons, this may require the grounds to be closed on occasions, whilst the works are carried out.

History

According to a National Trust report on the baths, they have been used as a spot for bathing for women since before 1876. The baths themselves were built in 1886 and the lease expired in 1901. The McIver family ran the baths until 1922 when the Randwick Ladies Amateur Swimming Club was formed. The club took over the lease and has held it since that time.

Back to top