Approval for hoardings, cranes, hoists and skip bins
Approval must be obtained from Council to carry out a number of activities in a public place (in accordance with section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993), including:
- Installation of a temporary hoarding, safety fence or other barriers on the footway, nature strip or public road during demolition or building work.
- Operation of a crane, hoist or concrete pump over a public road or footway.
- Placement of a waste storage container or skip bin on a public road, footway, nature strip or public place.
- Placement of a shipping container or any other article or enclosure on a road, footway or public place.
To obtain approval from Council, an application form must be submitted to Council's Health, Building & Regulatory Services department together with information about the proposed activity and relevant application fees.
Applications will be assessed against relevant matters for consideration, including public safety, traffic management, pedestrian safety and convenience, environmental amenity, and any relevant Regulations, Standards and Guidelines relating to the activity.
If the proposed activity is considered to be acceptable, a written approval will be provided to the applicant. The approval generally includes a number of standard and specific conditions which must be complied with.
A number of waste skip bin providers currently have an annual approval to place their waste skip bins on Council's roadways up until 30 June 2020 (subject to specific conditions and limitations).
|Action Bins||0419 622 275|
|Aussie Skips Bin Services Pty Ltd||1300 110 011|
02 8765 0250
0449 192 692
|Bingo Industries||02 9737 0308|
|Brown Bros Skip Bins||02 9999 6466|
02 9545 2627
0418 298 830
02 9311 4745
0413 389 124
|Freddy's Skip Bins||0410 455 633|
|Jim's Skip Bins||13 15 46|
|Just Skip Bins Pty|
1800 626 388
0424 335 545
|Purple Cow Industries Pty Ltd||1300 131 918|
02 9311 2528
0415 868 741
|Standby Waste Pty Ltd||02 9661 1000|
0409 420 490
02 9344 0929
How to lodge an application
To make an application, please complete the relevant Local Approval application form.
- Application for Installation of Temporary Hoardings, Safety Fences & Other Articles in a Public Place PDF, 191.73 KB
- Application to Operate a Crane, Hoist or Pump over a Public Road/Footway PDF, 209.29 KB
- Application for Placement of a Waste Storage Container in a Public Place
- Local Approval Application Request for Extension of Approval PDF, 152.26 KB
Applications, together with relevant fees, may be lodged at Council's Customer Service Centre or via email to email@example.com.
For further information please contact Council on 1300 722 542.
Failure to obtain the required approval from Council or to comply with the terms and conditions of an approval is an offence under the Local Government Act 1993, which may result in legal proceedings or issue of a notice, order or penalty infringement notice.
Relevant approvals, licences and permits are also required to be obtained from other relevant Public Authorities, Agencies and Service Providers (for example NSW Roads and Maritime Services, NSW Police, Sydney Buses,Civil Aviation, Telstra, Ausgrid and AGL.)
If the proposed activity is to be carried out upon, or impacts upon, any State or Regional Road, applicants are advised to consult with NSW Roads & Maritime Services, NSW Police and Council's Integrated Transport Department, as soon as possible, to ensure that the relevant approvals and permits are obtained beforehand.
A Traffic Control Plan is also required to be submitted to Council if the activity impacts upon traffic flow or results in the closure of all or part of a roadway.