Carports & garages

Approval for garages and carports

Before you begin work, you need to find out what approvals are required.

Exempt or complying development

If your proposed carport or garage is located at least 1 metre behind the front of your dwelling, and is setback at least 900mm from side and rear boundaries, it may meet the nominated criteria for exempt or complying development. To view the full list of criteria, please refer to the NSW State Environmental Planning Policy (The Codes SEPP).

If your proposed carport meets all of the exempt criteria, it may be constructed without development approval from Council.

If your proposed carport or garage meets all of the complying criteria, you will need to obtain a complying development certificate prior to commencing work.

Development requiring a development application

If your carport or garage is located in front of your existing dwelling and/or does not meet the other exempt or complying criteria, you will need to lodge a development application with Council. If you receive development approval for your proposed garage/carport, you will also need to obtain a construction certificate prior to commencing building works.

The following steps are provided to assist you in preparing and lodging a development application for a carport or garage.

Step 1: Seek information

You should consider the following documents when preparing you DA:

Randwick Local Environmental Plan 2012

The Randwick Local Environmental Plan 2012 (RLEP) details planning controls applicable to your site; including whether your site contains a heritage item, is located within a heritage conservation area, or is within a foreshore scenic protection area.

If your site is within the vicinity of a heritage item or is located within a heritage conservation area, you will need to consider whether your proposed development will affect the heritage significance of the heritage item/s or heritage conservation area.

If your site is within a foreshore scenic protection area, clause 6.7 of the RLEP applies.

State Environmental Planning Policy No. 71 (Coastal Protection)

This State Environmental Planning Policy applies to all land within the Coastal zone as defined by the Coastal Protection Act 1979. It aims to protect and manage the natural, cultural, recreational and economic attributes of the NSW coast. If your site is located within a coastal zone, you will need to consider the requirements of SEPP No. 71 when preparing your DA.

Development Control Plans

The Randwick Comprehensive DCP 2013 contains objectives and controls. Applications are assessed on how well they achieve the objectives and controls of the DCP.

Your statement of environmental effects (refer to step 3) should demonstrate how the objectives and controls are being achieved through your design.

Proposals are expected to comply with the numerical controls in this DCP. Any proposed variation from the controls may be considered only where the applicant successfully demonstrates that an alternative solution could result in a more desirable planning and urban design outcome. This ensures that the DCP guidance has sufficient flexibility to recognise that every property has different characteristics based on their unique combination of site conditions, size, aspect and location. The context and site analysis will be critical in demonstrating the need for any variation to the numerical controls.

To download copies of Council's DCPs, please refer to Development Control Plans (DCPs).

Guidelines, Council policies and other site specific considerations

Preservation of Trees and Vegetation - If there are any trees (covered by Council's Preservation of Trees and Vegetation) that may be affected by your proposed works, Council's Landscape Development Officer will inspect the site and determine whether the impact on the tree is acceptable. You may also be asked to prepare an aborist's report to assess the potential impacts of the development. Your plans must clearly show the location of all trees on and near your site.

Flooding - If your site is located in an area that may be subject to flooding, your development must be designed with suitable freeboards; and must not obstruct any drainage easements or flow paths. If you are unsure whether your site is affected by flooding, or would like more information about flooding controls, please refer to Flood Management, or contact Council's Development Engineers.

Construction near stormwater pipes - If your proposal is located near a stormwater line, please contact Council's Development Engineers to discuss your proposal.

Construction near sewer lines - If your proposal involves construction over or near a sewer, please refer to the Sydney Water website to obtain Sydney Water's requirements for construction.

New driveways - If your proposal includes a new driveway off a classified road, the application will require referral to the Roads and Maritime Services.

Planning Certificates - A Planning Certificate (issued under Section 149 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act) provides formal advice on land zoning and planning controls applicable to your site.

Step 2: Prepare Plans and Drawings

The following plans will be required:

  • Site Analysis Plan
  • Scaled Plans and Elevations
  • Notification plans (A4)
  • Survey Plan

Step 3: Prepare a Statement of Environmental Effects

The following headings may be used to provide the framework for your statement of environmental effects (SEE).

  • Details of proposal
  • Assessment against the Randwick Local Environmental Plan, any relevant State Environmental Planning Policies, Development Control Plans, and Council Policies
    • Demonstrate how the carport/garage will complement the existing streetscape and not be visually obtrusive or adversely affect neighbours
    • Show how your proposal satisfies the site planning and design guidelines contained in the relevant DCP's*
  • Access and Traffic
    • Detail any impact the proposal may have on traffic and pedestrian safety (i.e. if a new driveway is proposed, is there adequate sight lines for vehicles entering and exiting the site?)
  • Flooding and Drainage
    • If your site is in an area that may be subject to flooding, detail how the required freeboards will be achieved.
    • Detail where stormwater runoff from the carport/garage will be directed
  • Heritage 
    • If your site is within the vicinity of a heritage item or is located within a heritage conservation area, you will need to consider the affect of the proposed development on the heritage significance of the heritage item/heritage conservation area.

The following supplementary reports/details may also be required:

  • Heritage impact assessment report
  • Flood study
  • Construction and demolition waste management plan 
  • Schedule of colours and finishes
  • Asbestos survey 

For more information on the supplementary reports, please refer to supplementary report requirements.

Step 4: Complete an application form

You will need to complete an application form & checklist PDF, 346.16 KB, and a cost summary report.

The cost summary report must be prepared in accordance with Council's S94A Development Contributions Plan.

The application form must be signed by all land owners and the applicant.

Note: Section 94 or Section 94A Development Contributions may be payable for your development.

Step 5: Lodge the DA with Council

The development application must be lodged with the applicable DA fee. Please contact us to obtain a fee quote.

You may lodge your DA directly with Council at our administration building or by online services. A Council Officer will use the Development Application checklist form to check your application. Council will only accept a DA with all necessary information.

You are required to submit:

  • One (1) copy of the completed DA form and checklist
  • One (1) copy of the cost summary report
  • Two (2) copies of the A4 Notification plans
  • Three(3) copies of the Survey Plan
  • Six (6) copies of all other plans.
  • Six (6) copies of the SEE and other supporting documentation

Additional sets of plans and SEE's will be required if your application requires referral to any external agencies (e.g. Roads and Maritime Services, Heritage Office, Police, etc)

Last Updated: 25 October 2022
Back to top