Funding road repair and replacement
Randwick City Council is committed to providing safe and smooth roads across our City. Roads are critical transport systems for local residents, visitors and businesses.
In Randwick City there are:
- 20.8 kilometres of state road
- 26.4 kilometres of regional road and
- 276.6 kilometres of local road
- 3 kilometres of road under the ownership and control of The Department of Housing, the Sydney Ports Authority, and The Department of Lands.
Randwick City Council is responsible for managing local roads and regional roads (with the assistance of the Roads & Maritime Service) while state roads are the sole responsibility of the Roads & Maritime Services (RMS).
The following are state roads in Randwick City:
- Alison Road between Anzac Pde and Avoca St
- Anzac Parade between Alison Rd and Beauchamp Rd
- Avoca Street between Anzac Pde and Frenchmans Rd
- Botany Road between Beauchamp Rd and Bunnerong Rd
- Bunnerong Road between Botany Rd and Garderners Rd
- Carrington Road between Frenchmans Rd and Darley Rd
- South Dowling Street
- Frenchmans Road
- Gardeners Road
- Rainbow Street between Anzac Pde and Avoca St
- Oxford Street between York Rd and Lang Rd
Contact the RMS should you have any feedback regarding the above roads.
Council-managed roads within the Randwick City area are generally at a good or higher level due to Council's ongoing and responsible approach to managing roads.
Council uses a sophisticated Roads Asset Management Plan (pdf 1.14MB) to help keep track of the condition of our roads and to prioritise upgrades or repairs.
In 2013, The Division of Local Government gave Randwick City's public infrastructure the top 'very strong' rating. This puts Randwick in the top three Sydney councils in terms of the condition of local roads, footpaths, buildings and drains.
Council uses feedback and requests from local residents to help schedule and prioritise road upgrades and repairs.
Upgrade and repair program
Each year Council allocates approximately $2.5 million in our capital works program to resheet local roads.
Roads are chosen for repair or replacement following consultation with the community as part of the Budget and Operational Plan community consultation during May each year.
All residents living near footpaths scheduled for repair or upgrade are notified prior to works taking place.
All residents living on roads scheduled for repair or upgrade are notified prior to works taking place.
Council works and upgrades flyers
You can also download information about Council Works & Upgrades which include road, footpath and other major upgrades by Ward:
- Council Works & Upgrades Flyer - Central Ward PDF, 1337.08 KB (Maroubra, South Coogee)
- Council Works & Upgrades Flyer - East Ward PDF, 1347.11 KB (Coogee, South Coogee, Maroubra north and Randwick east)
- Council Works & Upgrades Flyer - North Ward PDF, 1499.17 KB (Clovelly, Coogee north and Randwick north)
- Council Works & Upgrades Flyer - South Ward PDF, 1466.26 KB (Chifley, Little Bay, La Perouse, Malabar, Maroubra south, Matraville, Phillip Bay)
- Council Works & Upgrades Flyer - West Ward PDF, 1538.6 KB (Kensington, Kingsford, Maroubra north and Randwick west)
Tell us about a road needing repair
Our residents are our eyes on the street. Should you think a road needs to be repaired or upgraded, we encourage you to contact Council so that we can investigate and repair it or schedule it in future works programs.