Using technology to make visiting the beach easier and safer
The Coogee Smart Beach project seeks to adopt a wide variety of current and emerging technologies to make visiting the beach easier and safer.
The project is jointly funded by Randwick Council and a grant from the Australian Government’s Smart Cities and Suburbs Program
What we’ve already done
- Implemented free high-speed wifi at Coogee Beach with up to 2 gigabytes of data per day (Read our news story)
- Installed or upgraded live beach cameras at Coogee Beach, Maroubra Beach, Clovelly Beach and Little Bay Beach. These cameras are available to view on Council’s website. Coogee Smart Beach technology solutions, including the Coogee Beach Live Stream are provided through the assistance of the Australian Government Smart Cities and Suburbs Program.
What we’re planning
- Trialling smart parking technology in Coogee off-street car parks
- Expanded CCTV along Coogee Beach and Coogee Bay Road to improve safety
- Digital signage with real-time beach conditions including air and water temperature, wind direction, solar UV rating, wave height and swell and the presence of rips and other beach hazards
- Real-time transport information with public transport and ride-sharing information and
- Sensors on BBQs, amenity blocks and bins to improve service response time