Draft planning controls for the future of Kensington and Kingsford
On 10 December 2019, Council endorsed the Planning Proposal for the Kensington and Kingsford Town Centres and resolved to forward the proposal to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment requesting amendments be made to Randwick LEP. A link to the Council Business Paper is available here. Draft Height Transition Maps associated with the Draft Planning Proposal can be found here. The final Planning Proposal has been forwarded to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.
The Strategy proposes a new vision for the two centres that is based on sustainable growth to create vibrant, prosperous and attractive places.
Council is currently preparing draft controls that will be inserted into the Randwick Development Control Plan 2013 to provide guidance for new development within the corridor. These new provisions will be placed on public exhibition in the latter half of 2020.
The Draft Planning Strategy was submitted to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment for Gateway Determination in December 2016. Council received approval to proceed with public exhibition (ie. Gateway Determination) in December 2017 subject to a number of significant changes.
On 5 March 2018, Council submitted its Gateway Review request to the Department of Planning & Environment.
On 30 August 2018, the Department referred Council's Gateway Review request to the Independent Planning Commission (IPC). The Commission has reviewed the Proposal and provided advice to the Department supporting Council's review request. Further information is available on the Independent Planning Commission website.
On 19 December 2018, the Department issued an altered Gateway Determination in response to the IPC’s recommendation. The altered Gateway Determination removes the condition requiring increased dwelling capacity in the town centres and relates to the provision of community infrastructure. Further information is available on the Department’s LEP tracking website.
Following the altered Gateway Determination, Council reconsidered the matter at a Council Meeting in May 2019 and endorsed the planning proposal for public exhibition.
In early August 2019, as required in the Gateway Determination, the revised Planning Proposal was endorsed by the Department of Planning for public exhibition. The Planning Proposal, draft Planinng Strategy for Kensington and Kingsford town centres, draft Contributions Plans and affordable Housing Plan were exhibited from 20 August - 10 October 2019. Further information is available on Council's Your Say Randwick webpage.
- 6 Dec 2016 - Council Planning Committee (deferred)
- 13 Dec 2016 - Council Ordinary Meeting
- 17 Dec 2016 - Extraordinary Council Meeting
- Dec 2016 - Planning Strategy submitted to Department for approval for public exhibition
- Feb 2017 - Greater Sydney Planning Award 'Great Plan - K2K Urban Design Competition'
- Feb 2017 - Draft Planning Strategy documents made public on Department of Planning & Environment LEP Tracking website
- July 2017 - National Landscape Architect's Award
- Nov 2017 - Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) (NSW) Award for Planning Excellence - Best Planning Ideas - Small Project
- 13 Dec 2017 - Council receives gateway approval for public exhibition subject to significant changes
- 19 Dec 2017 - Council writes to Department notifying them of Council’s intent to seek a Gateway Review
- 5 March 2018 - Submission to the Department seeking Gateway Review
- 30 Aug 2018 - Gateway Review request referred to the Independent Planning Commission
- 19 Sept 2018 - meeting between Council staff and Independent Planning Commission
- 8 Oct 2018 - second meeting between Council staff and Independent Planning Commission
- 29 Oct 2018 - Independent Planning Commission completes their review and provides advice to the Department on the Gateway Determination Review
- 19 Dec 2018 – Department issues altered Gateway Determination
- 21 Dec 2018 – Council writes to Department expressing concern with the amended Gateway Determination and requesting a meeting
- Early 2019 - Council meeting to consider the Planning Strategy, following the Department's determination of the Gateway Review request
- May 2019 - Council endorsed public exhibition of the Planning Proposal
- 20 August - 1 October 2019 - Public exhibition of planning proposal, contributions plan and supporting documents (6 weeks)
- 10 Dec 2019 - Report to Council on outcomes of public exhibition. Council endorsed the Planning Proposal and associated plans.
Archived documents prior to finalised Gateway Determination
- Draft Planning Strategy documentation [Feb 2017]
- Media release - NSW Government chooses rampant overdevelopment over award-winning local planning strategy
- Request for Gateway Determination Review - various sites within the Kensington and Kingsford Town Centres
- Department of Planning & Environment Gateway Determination [13 Dec 2017]
- Media release - Randwick Mayor announces $300M Kensington and Kingsford transformation project [30 Nov 2016]
- Fact sheet - Kensington and Kingsford Planning Strategy PDF, 4013.09 KB
- Draft Planning Strategy (Large file, PDF, 25MB)
- Council Planning Committee Report [6 Dec 2016]
- Council Gateway Review Submission [5 March 2018]
- Gateway Determination Review Application Form PDF, 274.46 KB
- Gateway Review Submission PDF, 733.88 KB
- Attachment A - Letter to DP& E re Analysis and Feedback PDF, 1458.65 KB
- Attachment B - CM Assessment of Recommendations PDF, 12962.92 KB
- Attachment C - EMM Addendum Report PDF, 1875.91 KB
- Attachment D - ARUP Kensington and Kingsford Transport Modelling Report PDF, 5277.82 KB
Randwick City Council
Strategic Planning Unit
02 9093 6849