Users of the Randwick City Council website are entitled to expect that any information collected as a result of that use will be treated within the terms of Randwick City Council's privacy responsibilities and obligations. Randwick City Council's privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and outlined in its Privacy Management Plan PDF, 684.45 KB.
What information do we collect?
When you look at the pages on the Randwick City Council website, our computers automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- The IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it
- Your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk, etc.)
- The address of your server
- The date and time of your visit to the website
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded
- The previous website visited
- The type of browser and operating system you have used
Note: Cookies are not used from the Randwick City Council website to collect information.
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports in order for Council to identify usage patterns of the website. This information will assist in improving the Randwick City Council website and the services offered on it.
Council will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998, or its Privacy Management Plan.
What exceptions are there to this rule?
Council will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- Unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published Randwick City Council pages
- Unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the Randwick City Council website
- Unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the Randwick City Council website by other websites
- Attempts to intercept messages of other users of the Randwick City Council website
- Communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
- Attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the Randwick City Council website by other users
Council reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the Randwick City Council website raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.
In the event of an investigation, Council will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by Council for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected it is deleted.
What will we do with information provided in Feedback?
Feedback facilities on the Randwick City Council website allow users to provide input into the future development of the website and to comment on the provision of services by Randwick City Council.
The provision of personal details on feedback is optional.
Users may provide personal details for the purpose of receiving a reply to their feedback. This information will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided. Randwick City Council will not add your email address or name to any mailing list.
Council may publish aggregated information about feedback on the website, to the extent that it does not identify or cannot be used to identify individual users.
Who else has access to information?
Council captures information on its own computers. Access to the raw data is restricted to a limited number of officers for the purpose of analysis and to report on the success of the Randwick City Council website in meeting the Council communication and access objectives.
Subscribing to receive email updates
If you choose to subscribe to one of Council's regular email newsletters we will keep your personal details confidential and not divulge them to any third party. You can elect to unsubscribe from the newsletters at any time. Council will send you the relevant email newsletters and other important communication.
Questions regarding this practice
If you have any questions about the application of this Privacy Practice please contact Randwick City Council's Administrative Services Department.