A collection of resources for students
In addition to our in-Library curriculum support which includes text books, resources, study guides and core texts, Randwick City Library also offers a great selection of online resources to support your study.
Studiosity (formerly YourTutor) Click to Access
Need help with revision? Stuck on a question and not sure how to progress? Free online tutoring available for students in years 3 -12 in the following subjects: Maths, Science, English, Study Skills and Assignment Research. Their online study help service has a brand new feature just for essay and writing help providing 24/7 writing feedback. Students are able to upload a draft of their essay or writing assignment and receive expert feedback in less than 24 hours. Real-time online support is available Sunday to Friday 3pm - 10pm.
Need help with revision? Stuck on a question and not sure how to progress?
Beyond what Randwick City Library have in our physical and online collections, we've also gathered a great selection of links to resources and other sites to help you ace the HSC.
Explore the HSC online page:
General Study Guides
CSU Study Guide
CSU HSC Study Guide offers you HSC resources including links to past exam papers, general information and study advice.
University of Sydney HSC guide and short courses
University of Sydney offers a free practical study guide to the HSC as well as numerous short courses to help you excel with your studies. Access the University of Sydney for HSC guides and short courses.
Board of Studies, Tertiary and Education Standards (BOSTES)
The Board of Studies sets the core curriculum and syllabuses for Kindergarten to Year 12. You can access the Board of Studies to obtain past papers, HSC requirements and obtain information relating to your subjects.
Bored of Studies
Created by students, for students, Bored of Studies strives to provide current year 11 and year 12 students with all the resources and support they need to succeed during the 2 years that form the most important part of their education and subsequently, their future.
Exams and Study Stress
ReachOut.com provide a range of tips and tricks to alleviate exam and study stress.
After the HSC
Year 13 endeavours to find anything you need to know about jobs, studying, gap years, travelling, apprenticeships, money and discounts.
SpongeTV is a YouTube channel run by two post-HSC students that interview and discuss methods of making studying more efficient, de-stress techniques and general tips to dissipate anxiety over the HSC period.
Infocus was an innovative service linking students studying for the Higher School Certificate (HSC) with information from the State Library of New South Wales.
Infocus provides material that was:
- Specially chosen for its relevance to HSC topics, texts and issues
- Drawn from both Australian and international sources
- Often hard to locate without visiting the State Library of New South Wales
- Copyright-cleared, so that it can be maintained in member libraries' collections.
- Inclusive of reproductions of rare and even unique heritage materials.
While the service is no longer active, it is still incredibly current and a fantastic resource. Please ask staff for further information or assistance using the collection.
The Infocus collection available at Lionel Bowen and Margaret Martin Libraries is:
- Genetically Engineered Food, Gain or Gamble?(HSC/REFERENCE/0583)
- Genetic Engineering the Next Farm Revolution by Ian Paterson (HSC/REFERENCE/0397)
- Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?(HSC/REFERENCE/9881)
- The End of the Natural World by Ian Grayson (HSC/REFERENCE/0626)
- Should We Play God With the Rainforest? by Graham Harrington (HSC/REFERENCE/0505)
- Aids: The Next Generation(HSC/REFERENCE/0154)
- Patenting Therapeutic Treatments and Methods(HSC/REFERENCE/0123)
English: Hamlet & Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
- Ambushes For The Audience: Towards a high comedy of ideas Tom Stoppard interview (HSC/REFERENCE/1957)
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Owen E Brady (HSC/REFERENCE/422)
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead: Entitled to some direction (reviews) by Susan Rusinko (HSC/REFERENCE/0421)
English: The Pardoner's Tale & A Simple Plan
- Substance, Accident and Transformations: A reading of The Pardoner's Tale by Martin Stevens (HSC/REFERENCE/1403)
English: An Imaginary Life & Wordsworth
- David Malouf: The sound of inner voices by Margaret Jones (HSC/REFERENCE/0262)
- Raising Silent Voices: The role of the silent child in "An Imaginary Life" and "The Bone People" by Susan O'Brien (HSC/REFERENCE/1877)
English: Brave New World & Blade Runner
- Brave New World by Peter Bowering (HSC/REFERENCE/0900)
- Brave New World by Donald Watt (HSC/REFERENCE/0898)
- Brave New World: Huxley's dystopian dilemma by Robert Baker (HSC/REFERENCE/0902)
- The Future As Literature by Peter Edgley Firchow (HSC/REFERENCE/0903)
- Looking Ahead by John Atkins (HSC/REFERENCE/0897)
- Blade Runner and Cyberpunk Visions of Humanity by W.A. Senior (HSC/REFERENCE/1741)
- Blade Runner's Post Individual Worldspace by Kevin McNamara (HSC/REFERENCE/1743)
- Interview with Ridley Scott by Paul Sammon (HSC/REFERENCE/1746)
- The Rain People by Mike Wilmington (HSC/REFERENCE/1745)
- The Sacred and the Profane: examining the religious subtext of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner by Sharon L. Gravett (HSC/REFERENCE/1744)
- Who's Future? Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner by Peter Lev (HSC/REFERENCE/1742)
Don't forget to check out our eResources on this page.
Besides our own online resources, to help you ace the HSC we've gathered a great selection of links on the below subjects.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC Ancient History Study Guide 2014 - Don't spend longer on a question than it warrants, writes Kilmeny Adie.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC Biology Study Guide 2014 - "Talk like a biologist" on the exam paper to demonstrate your depth of knowledge, writes Clive Hopkins.
Economics and Business Studies
Austrade - The Government site provides information for students on trade issues. They also have a range of papers, speeches and articles on global issues and the benefits of trade.
Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) Companies - These databases provide information about listed companies as recorded in their reports. They also list documents each company has filed with ASIC, and instructions for obtaining copies, as well as information on delisted companies, registered financial professionals and more.
NLA - Australian Newspapers Online - Newspapers such as The Age, The Australian, The Advertiser, The Canberra Times, The Sydney Morning Herald, The west Australian, The Mercury and The Sunday Times. As well, Business review Weekly, The Australian financial Review, Business Sydney Online and the Western Australian Business News are found on this site.
Board of Studies NSW - Economics and Business Studies Syllabus - The Syllabus contains detailed information about the rationale, aim and objectives of the course. The course structure, requirements, and reporting and assessment processes are listed.
Money - This small business site is essential viewing for all students of Business Studies
NSW HSC Online - Business Studies - An initiative of the Charles Sturt University, this website contains a Glossary, Bibliography, Exam Information and links to relevant websites. In addition it contains general material about study hints, research methodologies and general resources.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC Economics Study Guide 2014 - Keep on top of a changing economy to excel in the HSC exam, writes Carolyn Boyd.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC English Study Guide 2014 - Re-reading English texts and knowing them intimately will stand you in good stead during the HSC English examinations, writes Carolyn Boyd.
Area of Study: Discovery
- State Library NSW Research Guides - Area of Study: Discovery resources
- University of Sydney Research Guides - Area of Study: Discovery
Emma & Clueless
- Emma in Los Angeles: Clueless as a remake of the book and the city - Includes an outline of both plots and an exploration of Jane Austen's world
- Character Transformation in Emma and Clueless
- Reviving Emma in a Clueless World: the current attraction to a classic structure
- Emma - Online Notes
Hamlet & Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead: a lecture
Includes an analysis of Theatre of the Absurd
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead: online study guide
Includes themes, styles and character overviews
The Pardoner's Tale & A Simple Plan
- Essays and articles on Chaucer - Scroll down to essays about The Pardoner's Tale
An Imaginary Life & Wordsworth - Selected Poems
Brave New World & Blade Runner
- Brave New World? A defence of paradise engineering
- Thresholds of Splendor: mythic and symbolic subtexts in Blade Runner
- Blade Runner - Study guide, critique and who's who in Blade Runner
Past the Shallows - Favel Parrett
- Rose Bay Secondary College - offers reviews and links to articles on the text, as well as a brief summary
Legal Information Access Centre - Find Legal answers is a free legal information service, managed by the Legal Information Access Centre (LIAC) at the State Library. It provides you with access to easy to understand and current legal information.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC Legal Studies Study Guide 2014 - Students who stray from exam questions are still losing marks, writes Owen Thomson.
Board of Studies NSW Website - Modern History Syllabus - The Syllabus contains detailed information about the rationale, aim and objectives of the course. The course structure, requirements, and reporting and assessment processes are listed. There are also links to other sites.
As well as the syllabus there are authoritative related sites to Gallipoli and the Anzacs, Anzac Day, Australia and the Vietnam War (including conscription) and Australians on the Western Front 1914 - 1918. These sites are being updated regularly.
NSW HSC Online - Modern History - An initiative of the Charles Sturt University, this website contains a glossary, bibliography, exam information and links to relevant websites.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC Modern History Study Guide 2014 - Practice on old questions, says Owen Thomson.
WWI Trench Maps and Arial Photographs - Reference maps and photographs from McMaster University in Ontario, Canada.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health - This site provides access to a comprehensive range of high quality, peer-reviewed information on Australian Indigenous health issues.
Australian Bureau of Statistics - The official government statistic site provides a range of informative statistics and articles on health issues.
Australian Drug Foundation - They provide drug and alcohol information in many formats which is delivered in many ways through their information services. Working together to prevent drug problems.
NSW Board of Studies - Past exam papers plus the syllabus and links to other useful sites.
NSW HSC Online - Health - An initiative of the Charles Sturt University this website contains a Glossary, Bibliography, Exam Information and links to relevant websites. In addition it contains general material about study hints, research methodologies and general resources.
State Library of New South Wales - Health - These internet links and databases can help you find information on your research topic by providing references to web content, journal or newspaper articles, or to other sources such as reports, conference proceedings and government publications.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC PDHPE Study Guide 2014 - Understanding the key words and directive terms in questions is vital in PDHPE, writes Melinda Ham.
Society and Culture
ABC Website - Link to ABC programs, current affairs and social issues.
Ask Asia Website - Resource devoted to the Asian region, specifically designed for students and teachers.
Board of Studies NSW - Society and Culture Syllabus - The Syllabus contains detailed information about the rationale, aim and objectives of the course. The course structure, requirements, and reporting and assessment processes are listed.
NSW HSC Online - Society and Culture - An initiative of the Charles Sturt University this website contains a Glossary, Bibliography, Exam Information and links to relevant websites. Information is broadly organised around the HSC Core.
Online Newspapers - Full text versions of hundreds of newspapers from around the world
SBS Online - Excellent link to SBS programs, current affairs and social issues. Many of the sites have their own links to external resources
State Library of NSW - Personal Interest Projects - Access award-winning digitised Personal Interest Projects (PIPS) for the HSC subject, Society and Culture. They show excellence in various areas related to the construction of the PIPs.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC Community and Family Studies Study Guide 2014 - Current affairs provide community insights, writes Owen Thomson.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics - The official government statistic site provides a range of informative statistics and articles on social issues.
Studies of Religion
Board of Studies NSW Website - Studies of Religion Syllabus - The Syllabus contains detailed information about the rationale, aim and objectives of the course. The course structure, requirements, and reporting and assessment processes are listed.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC Studies of Religion Study Guide 2014 - Remember to review the preliminary course material to succeed in the exam, writes Melinda Ham.
Sydney Morning Herald HSC Visual Arts Study Guide 2014 - Visual Arts students need to be able to reference the work of others, writes Melinda Ham.
The Getty Research Institute for the History of Art and the Humanities - Includes access to large indexes such as BHA and RILA. The Getty also has a museum homepage and an art education site. Searching can be frustrating at times due to slowness in downloading files.
Disclaimer: Randwick City Library Service does not warrant or accept any liability in relation to the quality or accuracy of the information on these websites.