Residential rubbish collection
Here's where you'll find out everything there is to know about your household red lid rubbish bin.
NOTE: Red lid rubbish bin is serviced every fortnight for all houses (single dwellings). However, for apartment buildings the Red lid rubbish bin is serviced every week.
What CAN go in my red lid rubbish bin?
- plastic bags
- snack wrappers
- broken glass
- broken household items
What CANNOT go in my red lid rubbish bin?
- Building materials: Find out how to dispose of building waste
- Car parts: Visit Planet Ark's RecyclingNearYou for options to recycle car parts
- Garden waste: This should go in your green lid FOGO bin
- Glass bottles and jars: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Medical waste: Find out how to dispose of Medical waste
- Milk and juice cartons: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Needles and syringes: Find out how to dispose of Sharps
- Newspapers and magazines: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Paints and poisons: Find out how to dispose of Hazardous waste
- Recyclable plastic containers: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
How should I present my bins for collection?
- Put bins on the kerb the night before or by 5.30am on the collection day
- Position the bin with the handles facing your residence
- Leave at least a 30cm gap between your bins
- Leave at least one metre between your bin and any obstructions (such as trees, cars or poles)
- Not overfill your bin
- Ensure the bin lid is closed to avoid spills
How can I reduce my rubbish?
- Buying products with little or no packaging
- Buying items in recyclable packaging such as paper and cardboard
- Choosing products that come in refillable or reusable packs
- Choosing goods that are reusable, rechargeable or recyclable rather than disposable
- Using your own shopping bags at the supermarket
- Composting vegetable and fruit scraps, garden clippings, shredded newspaper and other organic materials
- Starting a worm farm to turn vegetable and fruit scraps into rich plant food
Can I request a smaller red bin ?
If you live in a house, your red garbage bin will be collected once a fortnight, commencing 1st March 2021. You may need a 240L garbage bin as the volume of garbage you accumulate in a fortnight is likely to be more than you previously had for weekly collection. However, if you would prefer a smaller garbage bin (140L), please use this link.