Residential rubbish collection
Here's where you'll find out everything there is to know about your household red lid rubbish bin.
What CAN go in my red lid rubbish bin?
- plastic bags
- snack wrappers
- broken glass
- broken household items
What CANNOT go in my red lid rubbish bin?
- Building materials: Find out how to dispose of building waste
- Car parts: Visit Planet Ark's RecyclingNearYou for options to recycle car parts
- Garden waste: This should go in your green lid FOGO bin
- Glass bottles and jars: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Medical waste: Find out how to dispose of Medical waste
- Milk and juice cartons: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Needles and syringes: Find out how to dispose of Sharps
- Newspapers and magazines: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Paints and poisons: Find out how to dispose of Hazardous waste
- Recyclable plastic containers: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
How should I present my bins for collection?
- Put bins on the kerb the night before or by 5.30am on the collection day
- Position the bin with the handles facing your residence
- Leave at least a 30cm gap between your bins
- Leave at least one metre between your bin and any obstructions (such as trees, cars or poles)
- Not overfill your bin
- Ensure the bin lid is closed to avoid spills
How can I reduce my rubbish?
- Buying products with little or no packaging
- Buying items in recyclable packaging such as paper and cardboard
- Choosing products that come in refillable or reusable packs
- Choosing goods that are reusable, rechargeable or recyclable rather than disposable
- Using your own shopping bags at the supermarket
- Composting vegetable and fruit scraps, garden clippings, shredded newspaper and other organic materials
- Starting a worm farm to turn vegetable and fruit scraps into rich plant food
Can I request a smaller red bin ?
If you live in a house, your red garbage bin will be collected once a fortnight, commencing 1st March 2021. You may need a 240L garbage bin as the volume of garbage you accumulate in a fortnight is likely to be more than you previously had for weekly collection. However, if you would prefer a smaller garbage bin (140L), please use this link.