Recycle food scraps and garden waste
Here, you'll find out what you can and cannot put in your 240 litre green lid FOGO bin.
Where can I get more information about FOGO?
What CAN go in my green lid FOGO bin?
Your green FOGO bin is for materials such as:
- Garden waste – flowers, leaves, grass clippings, prunings, etc.
- Food waste – leftovers, bread, vegetable scraps, bones, milk, cheese, etc.
- Tissues and paper towel
- Soiled pizza boxes
- Compostable packaging
- Pet waste
What CANNOT go in my green lid FOGO bin?
The following items should not be placed in your green lid garden organics bin:
- Building materials: Find out how to dispose of building waste
- Car parts: Visit Planet Ark's RecyclingNearYou for options to recycle car parts
- Glass bottles and jars: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Household waste: This should go in your red lid rubbish bin
- Medical waste: Find out how to dispose of Medical waste
- Milk and juice cartons: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Needles and syringes: Find out how to dispose of Sharps
- Newspapers and magazines: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
- Paints and poisons: Find out how to dispose of Hazardous waste
- Recyclable plastic containers: These should go in your yellow lid recycling bin
What should I do if I have too much garden waste to fit in my bin?
To avoid spillage, it's best not to overfill your bin. If you have extra garden waste, you can drop it off at our Recycling Centre on Saturdays from 8am-11am.
How should I present my bin for collection?
To help ensure your bin collection runs smoothly and enable our drivers to pick up, empty and replace your bins safely, it's important to:
- Put bins on the kerb the night before or by 5.30am on the collection day
- Position the bin with the handles facing your residence
- Leave at least a 30cm gap between your bins
- Leave at least one metre between your bin and any obstructions (such as trees, cars or poles)
- Not overfill your bin
- Ensure the bin lid is shut to avoid spills.