Draft planning controls for the future of Kensington and Kingsford
Randwick City Council has prepared a draft planning strategy to guide the future of Anzac Parade in Kensington and Kingsford.
The strategy proposes new building heights and considerable public improvements. Extensive consultation will take place with the community prior to any final decision being made.
The Draft Planning Strategy was submitted to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment for Gateway Determination in December 2016. Council received approval to proceed with public exhibition (ie. Gateway Determination) in December 2017 subject to a number of significant changes.
On 5 March 2018, Council submitted its Gateway Review request to the Department of Planning & Environment.
On 30 August 2018, the Department referred Council's Gateway Review request to the Independent Planning Commission (IPC). The Commission has reviewed the Proposal and provided advice to the Department supporting Council's review request. Further information is available on the Independent Planning Commission website.
On 19 December 2018, the Department issued an altered Gateway Determination in response to the IPC’s recommendation. The altered Gateway Determination removes the condition requiring increased dwelling capacity in the town centres and relates to the provision of community infrastructure. Further information is available on the Department’s LEP tracking website.
Following the altered Gateway Determination, Council reconsidered the matter at a Council Meeting in May 2019 and endorsed the planning proposal for public exhibition. The planning proposal, draft Planning Strategy for Kensington and Kingsford town centres, and draft s7.12 contributions plan will be placed on public exhibition.
As required in the Gateway Determination, the revised planning proposal has been submitted to the Department of Planning and Environment for endorsement prior to public exhibition. The planning proposal will commence public exhibition once endorsement by the Department has been granted.
- 6 Dec 2016 - Council Planning Committee (deferred)
- 13 Dec 2016 - Council Ordinary Meeting
- 17 Dec 2016 - Extraordinary Council Meeting
- Dec 2016 - Planning Strategy submitted to Department for approval for public exhibition
- Feb 2017 - Greater Sydney Planning Award 'Great Plan - K2K Urban Design Competition'
- Feb 2017 - Draft Planning Strategy documents made public on Department of Planning & Environment LEP Tracking website
- July 2017 - National Landscape Architect's Award
- Nov 2017 - Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) (NSW) Award for Planning Excellence - Best Planning Ideas - Small Project
- 13 Dec 2017 - Council receives gateway approval for public exhibition subject to significant changes
- 19 Dec 2017 - Council writes to Department notifying them of Council’s intent to seek a Gateway Review
- 5 March 2018 - Submission to the Department seeking Gateway Review
- 30 Aug 2018 - Gateway Review request referred to the Independent Planning Commission
- 19 Sept 2018 - meeting between Council staff and Independent Planning Commission
- 8 Oct 2018 - second meeting between Council staff and Independent Planning Commission
- 29 Oct 2018 - Independent Planning Commission completes their review and provides advice to the Department on the Gateway Determination Review
- 19 Dec 2018 – Department issues altered Gateway Determination
- 21 Dec 2018 – Council writes to Department expressing concern with the amended Gateway Determination and requesting a meeting
- Early 2019 - Council meeting to consider the Planning Strategy, following the Department's determination of the Gateway Review request
- May 2019 - Council endorsed public exhibition of the Planning Proposal
- August 2019 - Commencement of public exhibition of planning proposal, contributions plan and supporting documents (6 weeks)
Documents & links
- Draft Planning Strategy documentation [Feb 2017]
- Media release - NSW Government chooses rampant overdevelopment over award-winning local planning strategy
- Request for Gateway Determination Review - various sites within the Kensington and Kingsford Town Centres
- Department of Planning & Environment Gateway Determination [13 Dec 2017]
- Media release - Randwick Mayor announces $300M Kensington and Kingsford transformation project [30 Nov 2016]
- Fact sheet - Kensington and Kingsford Planning Strategy PDF, 4013.09 KB
- Draft Planning Strategy (Large file, PDF, 25MB)
- Council Planning Committee Report [6 Dec 2016]
- Council Gateway Review Submission [5 March 2018]
- Gateway Determination Review Application Form PDF, 274.46 KB
- Gateway Review Submission PDF, 733.88 KB
- Attachment A - Letter to DP& E re Analysis and Feedback PDF, 1458.65 KB
- Attachment B - CM Assessment of Recommendations PDF, 12962.92 KB
- Attachment C - EMM Addendum Report PDF, 1875.91 KB
- Attachment D - ARUP Kensington and Kingsford Transport Modelling Report PDF, 5277.82 KB
Extensive community consultation will be conducted over a period of 6 weeks to ensure the community is informed of the matters contained in the draft Proposal that applies to the two centres. Documents relating to the Proposal and details on how to make a submission will be provided on Council's dedicated consultation website YourSay Randwick.
Joint Select Committee on Sydney's night time economy
The Joint Select Committee on Sydney’s night time economy is now receiving submissions and will close on Tuesday 2 July 2019. To lodge a submission please visit the NSW Parliament website via the link below. The Committee will report to Parliament by 30 September 2019.
Randwick City Council
Strategic Planning Unit
02 9093 6895