A community sporting facility incorporating the South Sydney Rabbitohs
Randwick City Council is building a new community sporting facility in Maroubra's Heffron Park known as The Heffron Centre.
The Development Application for the project was approved in March 2021 and construction is scheduled to commence in mid 2021 and be complete in late 2022.
The Heffron Centre will be located on the Bunnerong Road side of Heffron Park and will be built where the existing indoor sports centre and gymnastics buildings are located. Both of these buildings date from the 1940s and are in poor condition and will be demolished as part of this project.
Heffron Centre was designed by award winning architect CO-OP Studio, shaped by community feedback, inspired by the culture and people of Randwick.
The Heffron Centre will include:
- Indoor multi-purpose facility with two indoor sports halls to accommodate sports such as netball, basketball, badminton, volleyball and indoor futsal
- Dedicated gymnastics facility (33% larger than the existing facility) including high quality amenities such as air conditioning, changerooms and dedicated bathrooms, office administration and parent / participant viewing
- South Sydney Rabbitohs’ community and high-performance centre including facilities to support Souths Cares’ educational and community programs
- Vehicle and bus parking servicing the Heffron Centre
- Landscaping to integrate the centre with Heffron Park
- A rugby league standard training field to NRL requirements
- Upgrade of lighting to adjacent south west sports fields.
How did we get here?
In April 2020, we asked the community about your aspirations for the Heffron Centre, and what you would like to see be included and how we can best integrate the Heffron Centre into the park. We also consulted with key stakeholders including state sporting bodies and federations.
Both Council and the Rabbitohs have achieved funding contributions through the State and Federal Governments to support the Project. The funding breakdown is below:
Indoor Community Sports Centre and Gymnastics Centre:
- $22.6M Council contribution. Largely funded through
borrowings as part of the 2017 Our Community Our Future Plan
- $3.135M State Government grant
South Sydney Rabbitohs High Performance Centre:
- $10M Federal Government grant
- $8.696M State Government grant
- $4M Rabbitohs contribution
- $3M Council contribution
Showcase Field (part of the Heffron Park Masterplan):
- $6.315M Council contribution
Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to the most commonly asked questions about the Heffron Centre.
View the FAQ web page.
- 29 September 2021 - Construction commences on Heffron Centre
- 4 August 2021 - Tenders appointed as Heffron Centre set to commence construction
- 25 May 2021 - First look revealed into Heffron Centre community sporting complex
- 30 March 2021 - Heffron Centre plans approved, new community sporting centre set for construction mid 2021
- 30 March 2021 - Gymnastics and multi-purpose sports at the new Heffron Centre – Your questions answered
- Spring 2020 - Randwick Council Scene Magazine feature story
- 12 October 2020 - Heffron Centre on exhibition
- 26 August 2020 - Grassroots to elite athletes – design released for the Heffron Centre
- 9 February 2016 - Randwick Council Works Committee Report
- 3 October 2014 - Randwick Mayor welcomes Rabbitohs move to Maroubra
To find out more information including FAQs and community consultation conducted on this project visit the Your Say Randwick website.