New toilets, changerooms and showers at Maroubra
As part of the Buildings for our Community program, Randwick City Council is planning a new amenities building at Mahon Pool, Maroubra.
Construction will commence in October 2018 and be complete in early-mid 2019.
At its meeting on 13 February 2018, Randwick Council resolved not to include a cafe as part of the design plans after receiving a petition with several thousand signatures against the addition of a cafe. The cafe idea was proposed as part of the Our Community Our Future Special Rate Variation.
Mahon Pool background
Mahon Pool is an ocean pool located just north of Maroubra Beach located in Jack Vanny Reserve along the world-famous Eastern Beaches Coastal Walkway. It was built in 1932 and provides a calmer swimming option for lap swimmers and families. It is popular on weekends as an alternative to the beach.
The existing buildings on site date from the 1950s and 70s and provide male and female toilets, change rooms and winter swim club facilities and storage.
Due to their age and exposed location, the buildings are degraded and in need of replacement. The buildings do not meet current building codes and are not meeting the needs of the community.
What we’re doing
Council will demolish the existing buildings and construct a new building containing:
- male and female toilets
- change rooms
- accessible toilets
- parents room
An additional smaller building will be built for the winter swimming club.
The two new buildings will be set back further from the cliff edge than the existing building and will be nestled into the landscape to reduce the visual impact. Extensive planting will complement the building and paths will connect it with the existing Coastal Walkway to Maroubra Beach.
This proposal has been subject to extensive community consultation in recent years with residents, pool users, and local community groups.
In 2015, Council conducted a comprehensive community engagement program to develop the current design. As a result of this feedback a number of changes to improve the project have been incorporated into the design. These changes include:
- extensive screen planting to the side and rear of the building
- floor level and pathways amended to provide better connection with the Coastal Walkway
- materials, colours and textures developed to respond to the sandstone cliff setting
- incorporation of external seating areas, and sitting edge to forecourt
- provision of external showers and bike racks
- provision of a windbreak
- internal planning changes to remove the open change area arrangement
- Mahon Pool Amenities – Detailed Design Plans PDF, 1480.44 KB
- YourSay Randwick consultation website
- Randwick Council Works Committee Report 9 February 2016 – Comments from the Maroubra Beach Precinct Committee
- Randwick Council Works Committee Report 10 November 2015 – Results of public consultation and proposed new building