Delivering on a 100-year-old promise
- Project summary: This memorial completes a vision originally proposed more than 100 years ago to have bookend memorials marking the start and finish of Anzac Parade at La Perouse and Moore Park.
- Status: Complete. Officially opened 21 November 2022. See news story. Construction July - October 2022.
- Location: Anzac Parade, La Perouse.
- Contact officer: James Mould, 9093 6000 or email@example.com
In 1917, the Anzac Parade Memorial Obelisk at Moore Park was unveiled with the promise that one day it would be linked along Anzac Parade to a war monument at La Perouse. However, the La Perouse monument was never built.
100 years later, in 2017, the long-lost promise was revived by Margaret Hope, Randwick resident and the daughter of an Anzac. She approached Council and we committed to complete this vision with plans to design and construct an Anzac monument at La Perouse. The monument will be especially important for remembering the contribution and service of Indigenous soldiers.
Anzac Parade Monument La Perouse Trust worked closely with the Council to develop concepts for the monument which is to be located adjacent to the coastal footpath on Anzac Parade, just south of the Congwong Beach Walk entrance to Botany Bay National Park.
The memorial will consist of a bronze plaque surrounded by a granite border and will offer a space for remembrance for all who served, particularly the many indigenous soldiers. Construction is expected to commence in July 2022 and be complete by the end of September 2022.
The memorial will include:
- New landscaping
- New coastal footpath
- Granite border paving
- Bronze memorial plaque
The Memorial was officially opened on Monday 21 November 2022 by Mayor Dylan Parker, former Mayor Tony Bowen and Daughters of Anzac founder Margaret Hope. See Council's news story about the opening.
- La Perouse Anzac Memorial completes 100-year-old vision 21 November 2022
- Drawing of Anzac Parade Memorial plaque PDF, 34.13 KB
- YourSay Randwick - La Perouse Monument
- Daughters of Anzac
- SMH - 13 March 2017 - Anzac Parade, 100 years on, to be marked by Anzac monuments at both ends
- The Southern Courier - 24 April 2017 - Call for a La Perouse memorial to honour Aboriginal soldiers in historical and modern conflicts
- The Southern Courier - 13 March 2017 - Call for a La Perouse memorial to honour Aboriginal soldiers in historical and modern conflicts