Thu 15 Aug 2019 - Thu 25 Jul 2019
3.45 pm - 4.45 pm
- Every week on Thursday, until 15 Aug 2019
- Lionel Bowen Library, Maroubra
- 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra
A membership-only club for young scientists in school years 3 - 6. Members will learn the art of discovery and scientific enquiry through a series of hands-on science-based workshops and activities.
- Membership to the club is limited to the first 30 people to pay the $43 membership fee and register online.
- More Contact Information
- Enquiries: 9093 6400
The Club is coordinated by Randwick City Library staff, with all workshops and activities presented by professional science providers such as the Children’s Discovery Museum and The Nutty Professor.
Mentors from Young Scientists Australia will be on hand at each session.
- Illuminated Geometry
Thursday 25 July 2019, 3.45 - 4.45pm
Be there or be square as we explore geometry in nature, and create illuminated geometric lanterns to take home. See geometry come to life.
- Escape Room
Thursday 1 August 2019, 3.45 - 4.45pm
Do you have what it takes to escape? Race against the clock to solve puzzles and open the chest which holds the key to your escape! In this workshop you will work in teams to solve the clues, open the chest and retrieve the key, but hurry, the clock is ticking!
Thursday 8 August 2019, 3.45 - 4.45pm
Experience life from the inside out! Uncover the ins and outs of a living organism using dissection techniques to expose its anatomical structure and function. Apply your observation skills and critical thinking to explain how these features help keep it alive.
Please note: High-quality specimens sourced from ethical suppliers will be used in this workshop.
- Molecular Gastronomy
Thursday 15 August 2019, 3.45 - 4.45pm
Calling all Master Chefs. Today we will be taking a walk on the wild side of kitchen chemistry. We will explore sophisticated molecular gastronomy techniques to make our very own edible worms and slugs. We will also learn about real life worms - what is it that they do that makes them so important to the ecosystem? Come and find out.
DISCLAIMER: Bookings below are made through Eventbrite which is an
how they store and use your information. You are also able to express your
interest in attending by phoning 9093 6400 during business hours.
- Members of the Spark! Explorers’ Club must be between the school years of 3 to 6 in 2019.
- You must be a Library member to attend. Library membership is free and you can join up at any branch.
- The first 30 children to pay their subscription of $43 and register online via www.randwick.nsw.gov.au/library will be given a place to attend all the Term 3 Spark! Explorers’ Club meetings in 2019.
- Refunds or credits will not be given for missed activities under any circumstances.
- Children must be signed in and out by a parent/guardian at each meeting.
- All activities are ‘drop off’ unless otherwise stated. Children must be collected within 10 minutes of class finishing time.
- Children are expected to attend the full term’s course. The Library should be informed when your child is unable to attend.
- The Spark! Explorers’ Club is administered and run by Randwick City Library with activities supplied by professional providers.
- Attendance at events supported by Randwick City Council may be digitally recorded through photographs and/or video recordings. Images may be used for promotional purposes on council’s websites, publications, social media or in print media. If you do not wish your image (or the image of your child) to be published, please notify staff before the event.