Thu 24 Oct 2019 - Thu 24 Oct 2019
3.45 pm - 4.45 pm
- Every week on Thursday, until 14 Nov 2019
- Lionel Bowen Library
- 669 - 673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra
The Spark! Adventurers’ Club is a membership-only club aimed at inquisitive young scientists in school years K to 2. Members will be able to experiment, learn and discover through regular interactive and hands-on science-based workshops and activities.
- Membership to the Club is limited to the first 30 people to pay the $43 membership fee and register online.
- More Contact Information
- Enquiries: 9093 6400
The Club, which is limited to 30 members, meets once a week each Thursday from 3.45 - 4.45pm on 24 October, 31 October, 7 November, 14 November.
It is coordinated by Randwick City Library staff, with all workshops and activities presented by professional science providers such as the Children’s Discovery Museum and The Nutty Professor.
Spark! Club Calendar:
Voracious Vampires, Thursday 24 October, 3.45 – 4.45pm
Do you like bats? In this jaw-dropping workshop we will discover more about these “often misunderstood” flying mammals including the blood-sucking vampires (is there really such a thing?). You will make their own bat and learn what goes into producing edible blood - will you be up for a taste? It’s gory fun for everyone. The ideal workshop just before HALLOWEEN (October 31st)!
Animal Superheroes, Thursday 31 October, 3.45 – 4.45pm
Are you as strong as a coconut crab? Can you see as well as an eagle? How does your sense of smell compare to an elephant? In this workshop we explore the amazing abilities or superpowers of some animal superheroes and discover how these adaptations help them to survive in their environment.
Water Works, Thursday 7 November, 3.45 – 4.45pm
Try to stay dry. You will explore the wonderful world of the water molecule and all the tricks it performs through a series of wet and wild challenges. Water may be essential to life on Earth, but it does so much more! Discover the magic of water using a selection of household items and take your kit home to challenge family and friends.
Tantalising Tastebuds, Thursday 14 November, 3.45 – 4.45pm
We commence by exploring what happens in our mouth and how our senses of smell and taste work together to kick start the digestion process off. In this class we will have a blast with our blindfold tastings - see how we can trick our brains when one of our senses is compromised and then make your own sherbet from scratch.
DISCLAIMER: Bookings below are made through Eventbrite which is an
how they store and use your information. You are also able to express your
interest in attending by phoning 9093 6400 during business hours.
Terms and Conditions:
- Members of the Spark! Adventurers’ Club must be between the school years of K to 2 in 2019.
- You must be a Library member to attend. Library membership is free and you can join up at any branch.
- The first 30 children to pay their subscription of $43 and register online will be given a place to attend all the Term 4 Spark! Adventurers’ Club meetings in 2019.
- Children in years K – 2 must be accompanied by an adult as they will require help with the activities.
- Refunds or credits will not be given for missed activities under any circumstances.
- Children are expected to attend the full term’s course. The Library should be informed when your child is unable to attend.
- The Spark! Adventurers’ Club is administered and run by Randwick City Library with activities supplied by professional providers.
- Attendance at events supported by Randwick City Council may be digitally recorded through photographs and/or video recordings. Images may be used for promotional purposes on council’s websites, publications, social media or in print media. If you do not wish your image (or the image of your child) to be published, please notify staff before the event.