Sat 17 Aug 2019 - Sat 17 Aug 2019
1 pm - 2.30 pm
- Lionel Bowen Library, Maroubra
- 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra
Join Linda McIntosh as she discusses her research into the lives of the families, including her own, who lived in Poverty Point in the suburb now known as Clovelly.
- This is a free event. A gold coin donation is required if you wish to attend an afternoon tea following the talk.
- More Information
- BYO reusable cup to help prevent waste and protect the environment. Enquiries: 9093 6400
In the decades that Linda’s family has lived in Clovelly, it has transformed from the era of Poverty Point as it was known by the locals, to one of the most desired Sydney suburbs.
Learn about the trials and tribulations of the early residents through the story of one of the original cottages, Shawbost which weathered the southerly and westerly winds to stand for over 124 years.
Linda McIntosh is an experienced local historian and dedicated family history expert. She is a long-standing member of Cape Banks Family History Group and long-time resident of Clovelly.
This is a joint talk held by the Randwick and District Historical Society and Randwick City Library.
Image top: Carlingford Estate subdivision plan, 1886. Subdivision plans were used by real estate agents to advertise land for sale. Courtesy SLNSW.
Terms and conditions:
- Your attendance at events supported by Randwick City Council may be digitally recorded through photographs and/or video recordings. Images may be used for promotional purposes on council's websites, publications, social media or by newspapers. By attending this session you agree to these terms. If you do not wish your image (or the image of your child) to be published, please notify staff before the event.
- Bookings are essential and spaces are limited.
- If you are unable to attend please cancel your tickets as soon as possible. This will enable others to participate in the event.
- Due to the safety and enjoyment of participants, we are unable to admit latecomers to the room after the start time.
- Please arrive 10 minutes early to allow the event to run on time.
- Patrons who fail to comply with the Terms and Conditions set out above will have their tickets cancelled.