Sydney Writers' Festival: Jonathan Seidler in conversation
Sun 28 May 2023 - Sun 28 May 2023
1 pm - 2.30 pm
- Margaret Martin Library, Level 1 Royal Randwick Shopping Centre, 73 Belmore Rd, Randwick
Join author, creative director and culture critic, Jonathan Seidler, as he discusses his extraordinary memoir, "It's a Shame about Ray".
- Online booking essential
- More Information
- This is a Sydney Writers' Festival satellite event. For more information contact 9093 6400,
It's a Shame about Ray is blackly funny and frequently devastating, this memoir traverses family, death, hope, love, survival, compassion and the deep relationship we can develop with music throughout our lives when nothing else is enough. It's a Shame About Ray asks how we shape new identities from old tragedies - and whether the answers might be hiding in the bestselling record of 2001.
My dad, Ray, jabbed steroids into Beyonce's butt when she lost her voice the day of her stadium show. My dad jumped into Sydney Harbour to save my brand-new red Power Ranger toy. My dad made his own jam, muesli and sourdough bread. My dad protected me from cockroaches, but he never, ever killed them. My dad once covered for so many of my demerit points that he lost his own licence and had to ride a bicycle to work for a year. My dad tended a worm farm in the compost bins in our back garden.
Several lifetimes in the making, Jonathan Seidler has created a lyrical and original interrogation of men and memories, a tracklist of songs of innocence and experience that beautifully unpick a life lived to the full - and sometimes spilling over the lip.
Jonathan Seidler is an author, creative director and culture critic. His work has been published frequently in The Guardian, Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian, Monocle and GQ. Jonathan co-founded long-running music blog One A Day, launched two nationally syndicated fiction series for Broadsheet and recently commissioned, edited and published an Unyoked anthology of nature writing. Jonathan wrote and performed the score for 'Snare', shortlisted for SXSW and Tribeca 2019 and more recently was music supervisor on the SBS series 'Latecomers'.
This is a Sydney Writers Festival Event
Terms and conditions:
- You do not need to be a Library member to attend this event, however library membership is free and you can join online.
- Bookings are essential and spaces are limited. This event is supporting the Sydney Writers' Festival.
- If you are unable to attend, please cancel your ticket as soon as possible. This will enable others to participate in the event.
- Tickets are not transferable.
- Your ticket can be cancelled by the organiser at any time without further notice.
- Please attend the event at 4:15pm to allow the event to run on time.
- Your attendance at events supported by Randwick City Council may be digitally recorded through audio and/or video recordings. These recordings may be used later on council's websites, social media, or other external websites. By joining a session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to the recording, please contact us to discuss your concerns in good time prior to the web-event date.