Community Art Project: What I Found (workshops for all ages)
Thu 18 May 2023 - Thu 18 May 2023
10 am - 11 am
- Lionel Bowen Library, Maroubra
- 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra
Looking for a creative way to express your love of books and the impact they have had on your life? Join our community art project, "What I Found", where you can create a 2D artwork showcasing something you discovered in a book.
Whether it's an idea, emotion, realization, or story that made you laugh, cry, or taught you something new, all you need is a love of books and a story to tell. Your artwork will be part of a large installation at the Lionel Bowen Library in June, and all ages are welcome to participate. So grab your family and friends and come along to our free workshops facilitated by local artist Rosemary Strachen in partnership with Randwick City Library.
To give old books new life, all artwork will be created on the front cover of recycled books. Let your imagination run wild and join us for this wonderful community event!
All materials will be supplied. Bookings required. Enquiries: (02) 9093 6400.
Children are welcome with adult supervision.
Can't make it to a workshop? You can still get involved by creating artwork at home or at school and bringing it into the library. Please read further details towards the bottom of the page.
Bookings required online. The workshop is free and can be attended on the following dates:
- Thursday 16th March: 10am – 11am
- Thursday 16th March: 11am – 12pm
- Monday 20th March: 1pm – 2pm
- Thursday 13th April: 10am – 11am
- Thursday 13th April: 11am – 12pm
- Thursday 18th May: 10am – 11am
All workshops for the above dates will be facilitated by local artist Rosemary Strachen. Artwork can be taken home to finish but should please be returned in May to be part of the installation at the library in June.
To book, please choose your preferred session below. One workshop per person. All ages welcome. Children require adult supervision.
Group bookings welcome. For bookings >10 people, please contact the library directly at (02) 9093 6400.
Can't join any of the workshops but want to get involved?
If you won't be able to join the workshops, you can get involved in this wonderful project by making artwork at home or at school. Create it on a piece of paper, and bring it into the library to glue it to a book front later. When creating your piece of art, please follow the below guidelines:
- You can submit more than one work.
- Artworks can be but are not limited to: drawings, paintings, collage, mixed media, textile art, i.e. embroidery, writing, photography, prints of digital art, prints etc. as long as the artwork is 2D.
- The book that the artist is inspired by can be: fiction, non fiction, a picture book, an instruction manuel, a diary, a graphic novel. No papers or magazines, please.
- The recycled book only serves as canvas for the artwork, i.e. the book the artwork is created doesn't need to have any relevance to the artwork itself, unless desired by the artist.
- Works will be 2-dimensional and solid in nature. Please don't use loose parts or overly fragile parts as books will be stacked while we accrue enough books to create the installation.
Let's celebrate the power of books and the impact they have on our lives together!
Workshop terms and conditions:
- Covid-19 Safety Terms and Conditions apply. Follow this link to find out more. Please review them prior to attending this event as these may change with short notice.
- All ages welcome. Children require adult supervision.
- Bookings are essential as spaces are limited.
- If you are unable to attend, please cancel your ticket as soon as possible. This will enable others to participate.
- The ticket is not transferable.
- You do not need to be a Library member to attend this event, however library membership is free and you can join online.
- Your attendance at events supported by Randwick City Council may be digitally recorded through photographs and/or video recordings. Images may be used for promotional purposes on council's websites, publications, social media or by newspapers. By attending this session you agree to these terms. If you do not wish your image to be published, please notify staff before the event.