Content last updated: 25 March 2020.
For those that are caring for children and must stay at home and maybe have to squeeze in work at the same time, we've accumulated a list of interesting advice, tips and resources to help you during this unprecedented time. We will update this page regularly - our source is a group of staff who have children from the very young right up to HSC who can relate to the challenge of home-schooling.
Tips and Strategies
- Balance work and young kids at home, The Conversation: If working from home, its important to create a clear workspace and make sure to plan things out appropriately. This article by Ruchi Sinha will help explain six strategies on doing that.
- Let your kids get bored, The Guardian: Schooling at home and not sure how to get the kids listening? Getting kids to learn is hard at the best of times. This article suggests giving kids some autonomy and letting themselves get a little bored sometimes among other tips.
- Be as active and social as possible, The Conversation: Exercise is crucial to our mental health. Where possible, kids should be encouraged to get up and move about. The article features a list of possibilities. It also encourages dialogue with parent and child and measured use of social media to talk to friends.
Fun and Educational Resources
- 10 of the World’s Best Virtual Museum and Art Gallery Tours, The Guardian: This collection of ten tours can make for an entertaining and edifying excursion for both parent and child. Featuring the Vatican Museums and the Natural History Museum of London.
- Story Box Library: Imagine the best picture book stories being read aloud to you by our favourite storytellers – well that's Story Box Library! Its free to access with your library membership card.
- Children up to Year 6: Younger members can access some great online tools to help learn new skills or research a school assignment. The interactive online tutoring and fun games will develop literacy, numeracy and coding skills too! You just need to be a Randwick City Library member to access
- Students from Years 6 - 12: Visit this page for a selection of links to resources to help ace exams, particularly the HSC.
- Audible Stories: Audible This is not an official library resource but it made the list because these audiobooks are all free! Take a look at this range of fun stories for kids in different languages including Spanish, Chinese and French.