Randwick City Council, in conjunction with the University of NSW and Juvenilia Press, have extended the deadline for entries for the Lionel Bowen Young Writers’ Award and are calling on the school students of Randwick City to use their imagination and submit an entry before 17 July 2016.
Named in honour of former Mayor of Randwick and former Deputy Prime Minister, Lionel Bowen AC, the Lionel Bowen Young Writers’ Award aims to uncover the creative writing talents of young people in and around Randwick City.
Mayor of Randwick, Noel D’Souza, believes that writing is a powerful tool to generate creativity and is a great outlet for students to create something new and exciting.
“This year’s theme “conserving our environment” reflects one of Randwick City Council’s key priorities, namely the implementation of innovative strategies and projects to protect and enhance our precious natural environment.
“I’m really excited to see what the students of Randwick City can come up with and to get them thinking about the importance of our natural environment,” said Mayor D’Souza.
Entrants have the chance to win fantastic prizes including prepaid credit cards, vouchers and books supplied by Juvenilia Press. Award winners will have the added thrill of seeing their work in print, when Juvenilia Press publishes a book containing all the winning entries.
How to enter
- Entry is free and open to all young people currently enrolled in Years 3 to 12 (or equivalent).
- The work can be submitted to either of the two categories in the form of a short story or a poem, with four age brackets in each category: Years 3 to 4, Years 5 to 6, Years 7 to 9 and Years 10 to 12.
- This year’s theme, “conserving our environment”, must be referenced in the work.
- Entries can be based on personal experience or purely from and entrant’s imagination. It can be funny or serious, set in the past, present or future, in the real world or a land not yet discovered. You are only limited by your imagination!
- Entries will be accepted through the Randwick City Library website, email or in person.
- Entries close 17 July 2016.
- For further enquiries regarding the Lionel Bowen Young Writers’ award 2016, please visit the Randwick Library Website.