Help your environment by saving water
Water Wise rules
In June 2009, Sydney Water replaced water restrictions with Water Wise rules.
The rules provide simple and sustainable actions on how we use water outside, including:
Watering your garden
- water with hoses fitted with a trigger nozzle, sprinklers and irrigation systems any day before 10 am and after 4 pm
- use a bucket or watering can to water lawns and gardens at any time
- establish new lawn using your sprinkler or watering system at any time of day for 14 days after you've laid the turf
- use water from your rainwater tank, as long as it's not connected to or topped up with drinking water.
Looking after your pool and keeping cool
- fill or top up your swimming pool
- use water to cool people or animals.
- use a bucket, watering can or a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle to wash vehicles
- clean your bin using a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle. Where possible, wash your bin in an official bin wash area or on grass
- hose paths, driveways, concrete or other paved surfaces for health, safety, emergency, construction or surface discoloration reasons. You must be able to give a legitimate reason to one of our authorised staff members if you're asked
- use a hose to flush your boat engine
- use a hose with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning device to clean your boat bilges, boat trailer brakes and wheels.
- use a fire hose for fire fighting activities.
Water Wise exclusions
These items are exempt from the Water Wise rules:
- Recycled water
- Bore water
- Water used for testing fire systems, fire fighting and related activities
- Water from rainwater tanks (if it is not topped up from Sydney Water's supply)