New Year's Eve fireworks
31 December 2016
Every year Randwick City Council proudly presents the Coogee Sparkles NYE fireworks at the family-friendly time of 9pm (note there is no midnight fireworks).
Families, local community and visitors gather along the coast at Coogee Beach to watch this fabulous 15-20 minute fireworks display. Many people make a day of it by swimming at the beach during the afternoon and enjoying a picnic dinner while waiting for the sun to set.
The fireworks are set off from Dunningham Reserve (near the Bali Memorial) which is located to the north of Coogee Beach.
Best viewing areas
The Coogee Sparkles can be seen from a distance and there are many vantage points in surrounding suburbs where you'll get a good view of the fireworks. Here are some locations:
- Goldstein Reserve, Coogee: located right next to the beach
- Grant Reserve & Trenerry Reserve: located further south but there are good viewing areas close to the coast
- Clovelly Beach car park: good view of the fireworks from the north
- Burrows Park headland: good view of the fireworks from the north
- Local restaurants and hotels: many local establishments host excellent NYE events within sight of the fireworks
Construction is underway at Coogee Beach to build a brand new amenities building. This has reduced the area available for Coogee Sparkles, but the event will go ahead as planned. Make sure you get there early to secure your spot!
A guide to Coogee NYE
- This event is popular, so arrive early to secure a spot
- Parking is limited. Be prepared to park some distance away and walk, or better still take a bus direct to Coogee Beach http://www.sydneybuses.info/
- Glass, dogs, smoking and alcohol is banned on Coogee Beach
- Please take your rubbish with you when you leave or dispose of it responsibly
- Effective 29 December 2016, Coogee Beach and beachside parks have been declared alcohol-free until the end of summer 2017.
Special event clearways and road closures
Special Event clearways will be in place on the 31 December 2016 between 12 midday and 10pm in the following streets:
- Alfreda Street - both sides from Brook Street to Arden Street
- Arden Street - both sides from Bream Street to Carr Street
- Coogee Bay Road
- Coogee Bay Road - both sides from Brook Street to Arden Street
- Dolphin Street - north side from Brook Street to Arden Street
A road closure will be in place on the 31 December 2016 between 12 midday and 9:30pm in:
- Alfreda Street from Brook Street to Arden Street.
Road closures will be in place on the 31 December 2016 between 7pm and 9:30pm in the following streets:
- Alfreda Street - from Brook Street to Arden Street
- Arden Street - from Bream Street to Carr Street
- Coogee Bay Road
- Coogee Bay Road - from Brook Street and Arden Street
- Dolphin Street - from Brook Street and Arden Street
Both the Coogee Oval and the Dolphin Street car parks will also be closed on the 31 December 2016 between 12 midday and 9:30pm.
\We hope you have a great night!