Randwick's annual surfing themed event
Sunday 28 July 2019 - Surfing Walk of Fame
The Surfing Walk of Fame recognises and celebrates the outstanding achievements of Australia’s leading surfers and surf life savers. A prestigious and sought-after award, inductees are highly regarded as ‘Legends of Surf’
The surfers and surf lifesavers inducted into the Australian Surfing Walk of Fame will have a bronze plaque in recognition of their efforts laid on the promenade at Maroubra Beach. The winner will be announced at the Beach Breaks Carnival on Sunday 28 July 2019 at 1pm.
Here are some highlights from the 2018 Beach Breaks Carnival.
- Malibu Board Race Australian Champion 1987, 1990, 1991
- Malibu Board Race World Champion 1990
- Inaugural Ella Baché Ironwoman Champion 1991
- Inaugural Australian Ironwoman Champion 1992
Stephen ‘Bullet’ MacKenzie
- Australian Pro Bodyboard Tour Champion 1996, 1997
- Australian Bodyboard Champion 1984, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1995
- Australian Sports Medal 2000
- Pipeline Bodyboard Champion 1997
- Shark Island Bodyboard Champion 1998
Mark ‘Winny’ Windon OAM
- Established Maroubra Southend Boardriders 1985
- Local Maroubra surfing mentor
- Candice Warner (nee Falzon) - 19 Surf Life Saving national medals, NSW Iron Woman Champion 1999 & 2013, Professional Series Coolum 2012.
- Graham “Johno” Johnson - Australian Surf Life Saving Championships 1966 – 1975, Olympian 1972.
- Tony White - GUNSTON 500, South Africa 1977, Stubbies Surf Classic and Coca Cola Surfabout 1977 – 1980, Pioneer of pro-surfing & role model.
- Kevin Davidson - 2SM/Coca Cola Surfabout 1978, Local Maroubra surfing mentor.
- Gordon Merchant AM - Founding member of Maroubra Surfers Association and outstanding contribution to surfing
- Jon Donohoe AM - Australian Surf Race Champion 1955, 1958, 1959, 1961, Australian Surf team representative 1960, 1961 (Captain), Olympian 1956
- Leigh McCleery (nee Habler) - 1st Female Australian Surf Lifesaving Team Captain 1999-2001, Australian Surf Lifesaving team member 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, Olympian 1992
- Steve ‘Blackie’ Wilson - Pro surfer, big wave charger and local Maroubra legend
- Jessi Miley-Dyer - World Junior champion 2003, 2005, Billabong Pro Maui Champion 2006, World Number 4, WCT 2006-2011
- Walter Brown - Olympic Bronze Medallist 1956 K2 10,000 metres, Australian Surf Ski Champion 1953 &1956
- Ron McKeon - Australian Surf Live Saving Champion Cadet Surf 1976, Junior Surf 1977, 1979, Open Surf 1980, Open Belt 1984, Olympian 1980 & 1984
- Mark Scott - 1980 World Surfing Champion and outstanding contribution to surf life saving
- Dennis Green - Australian Surf Life Saving Champion
- Grant Kenny - OAM World Ironman Champion and Outstanding contribution to surf life saving
- Tony Seddon - Australian Surf Life Saving Champion and outstanding contribution to surfing
- Lynette MacKenzie - World Surfing Champion
- Dennis Heussner - OAM Captain Australian Surf Life Saving Team 1970-1971
- Karla Gilbert - World Ironwoman Championship 2000-2002
- Larry Blair - 2SM/Coca Cola Surfabout Championship 1978
- Mark Richards - World Surfing Championship 1979 – 1982 Inductees Inductees Australian Surfing Walk of Fame at Maroubra Beach
- Snow McAlister - Outstanding contribution to surfing
- Nat Young - World Surfing Champion
- Midget Farrelly - World Surfing Champion 1964
- Barry Rodgers - Australian Ironman Champion 1967, 1968, 1969