Randwick's annual surfing themed event
Beach Breaks Carnival is a vibrant community event held along the picturesque Maroubra Beach promenade. The event celebrates the surfing history and culture of Maroubra Beach.
The Beach Breaks Carnival includes surfing contests, market stalls, food and drinks, amusement rides, live entertainment and an induction of a surfing legend into the Australian Surfing Walk of Fame.
The event was held on Sunday 24 July 2016, from 12noon to 4.30pm.
Nominations for the Australian Surfing Walk of Fame have now closed.
The Australian Surfing Walk of Fame at Maroubra Beach was initiated in 2006 and is the first of its kind in Australia. The Surfing Walk of Fame recognises and celebrates the outstanding achievements of Australia's leading surfers and surf life savers. The Surfing Walk of Fame is a prestigious and sought after award within Australia's surfing beach culture. Inductees are highly regarded and considered 'Legends of Surf' – water men and water women.
The surfers and surf life savers inducted into the Australian Surfing Walk of Fame had a bronze plaque laid into the promenade at Maroubra Beach at the 2016 Beach Breaks Carnival on Sunday 24 July 2016 at 1pm.
The 2016 Inductees:
Gordon Merchant AM
- Founding member – Maroubra Surfers Association
- Outstanding contribution to surfing
Jon Donohoe AM
- Australian Surf Race Champion 1955, 1958, 1959, 1961
- Australian Surf Team Representative 1960, 1961 (Captain)
- Olympian 1956
Leigh McCleery (nee Habler)
- 1st Female Australian Surf Lifesaving Team Captain 1999-2001
- Australian Surf Lifesaving Team Member 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Olympian 1992
- Steve ‘Blackie’ Wilson - Pro surfer, big wave charger and local Maroubra legend
- Jessi Miley-Dyer - World Junior champion 2003, 2005, Billabong Pro Maui Champion 2006, World Number 4, WCT 2006-2011
- Walter Brown - Olympic Bronze Medallist 1956 K2 10,000 metres, Australian Surf Ski Champion 1953 &1956
- Ron McKeon - Australian Surf Live Saving Champion Cadet Surf 1976, Junior Surf 1977, 1979, Open Surf 1980, Open Belt 1984, Olympian 1980 & 1984
- Mark Scott - 1980 World Surfing Champion and outstanding contribution to surf life saving
- Dennis Green - Australian Surf Life Saving Champion
- Grant Kenny - OAM World Ironman Champion and Outstanding contribution to surf life saving
- Tony Seddon - Australian Surf Life Saving Champion and outstanding contribution to surfing
- Lynette MacKenzie - World Surfing Champion
- Dennis Heussner - OAM Captain Australian Surf Life Saving Team 1970-1971
- Karla Gilbert - World Ironwoman Championship 2000-2002
- Larry Blair - 2SM/Coca Cola Surfabout Championship 1978
- Mark Richards - World Surfing Championship 1979 – 1982 Inductees Inductees Australian Surfing Walk of Fame at Maroubra Beach
- Snow McAlister - Outstanding contribution to surfing
- Nat Young - World Surfing Champion
- Midget Farrelly - World Surfing Champion 1964
- Barry Rodgers - Australian Ironman Champion 1967, 1968, 1969
For more information, please call our Events Team on 9399 0792 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some highlights from the 2016 Beach Breaks Carnival