Commonly asked questions about COVID-19 in Randwick City and our responses

Jump to the different topics below

Testing and vaccinations

I haven’t received my COVID-19 test results. What do I do?

NSW Health is responsible for all COVID-19 testing sites. Council makes some carparks and reserves available for testing clinics, but we do not operate the sites.

NSW Health will also provide COVID-19 test results. Their website suggests patients allow up to 72 hours for the test results to be received, depending on the volume of testing.

If you don’t receive your result, you should contact the pathology provider who is operating the testing centre or NSW Health.

Why is a COVID-19 testing clinic located in a Council park?

The pop-up testing clinics at Heffron Park and Chifley Sports Reserve offer safe, convenient testing sites for our community. The location of each site has been chosen in consultation with NSW Health and the Mobile Testing Clinic controllers based upon several considerations.  These include:

  • minimising disruption to park access for passive recreation,
  • ease of access and traffic flow in and out for safe traffic management, and
  • maximising the ability to provide space for queueing cars.

The testing itself is carried out by trained industry professionals, to specific Australian Standards and industry guidelines, with numerous checks and balances in place to ensure the safety of the community and the people testing and being tested.

How can I find out if I am eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccination?

NSW Health is responsible for providing COVID-19 vaccinations to eligible recipients.  To find out if you are eligible or to book an appointment use this link

Locations are opening in Randwick City and the CBD, including GP clinics and vaccination hubs. Please use the availability checker to confirm locations and available times.

Local Government Elections, Saturday 4 December 2021

Are local government elections going ahead?

Local Government Elections were originally scheduled to occur on Saturday 4 September have now been deferred by the NSW Government until Saturday 4 December 2021.

Further information is available at the NSW Electoral Commission website or on Council’s election page.

I don’t feel comfortable attending a polling booth in person. What options are there?

The NSW Electoral Commission runs the Council election on our behalf. They have several measures in place to protect voters who use polling booths, which includes the use of the Service NSW QR check-in codes, face masks, physical distancing, single use pens, queue management, hand hygiene and cleaning. More information can be found here

To manage the number of people at polling stations, you can also pre-poll vote in person. This option will be available from Monday 23 August 2021.

You may also be eligible to vote by post if you meet one of the following criteria:

  1. You are a permanent or temporary resident in a hospital, nursing home, retirement village or similar facility; or
  2. You are self-isolating because of COVID-19; or
  3. You reasonably believe that attending a polling place on election day will pose a risk to the health or safety of yourself or another person because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The NSW Electoral Commission will make online voting available to select vulnerable voters including those who have a disability.

For more information, head to:

Parks, beaches and open spaces

Why aren’t benches and seats barricaded?

During the lockdown in 2020 Council put up barricades or tape to prevent the use of benches and seats. These were often removed by members of the public.

Less mobile members of the community and those suffering from medical conditions make use of these seats and benches while in our parks and reserves. For these reasons we have not reinstated the barricades.

If you do see people inappropriately using seats and benches in breach of Public Health Orders please contact NSW Police Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000. For more information please visit:

Why are outdoor gyms still open?

In 2020 the NSW Government required councils to prevent access to outdoor gyms. This is not a requirement under current Public Health Orders.

Council asks residents to exercise in a COVID-safe way and observe the limitations on the number of people in any group exercising.

If you are using these facilities, like any other touch point outside your home, we strongly recommend the use of hand sanitiser.

If you do see people inappropriately gathering using outdoor gyms in groups larger than the Public Health Order allows, please contact NSW Police Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000. For more information please visit:

Why are drinking fountains still on?

Council provides drinking fountains to ensure convenient access to water for those exercising in our parks and open spaces. Shutting off access to water fountains also means shutting off water access for nearby amenities such as toilets and showers. We would prefer to continue to provide access to clean, potable water for residents.

If you use these facilities, like any other touch point outside your home, we strongly recommend the use of hand sanitiser.

Why are BBQs still available for use?

Council will continue to provide access to BBQs in parks and reserves. This allows rough sleepers and people who share small apartments, but who need to maintain social distancing, to access cooking facilities. We continue to work with not for profit and community organisations to assist those who are homeless to provide them with services and support.

Council staff clean BBQs daily. If you use these facilities please remember to use hand sanitiser and follow social distancing protocols. If you see a breach of social distancing regulations please contact NSW Police Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000. For more information please visit:

I’ve seen groups of people exercising above the current cap on numbers. What is Council doing?

If you see a group of people exercising together that is greater than the number allowed by current Public Health Orders please contact NSW Police Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000. Bear in mind that families and household groups can exercise together.

For more information please visit:

There’s a group of people sitting in a park, not exercising. What can I do?

If you see this behaviour we encourage you to report this to NSW Police Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000. For more information please visit:

What is Council doing to prevent pedestrian “pinch points”?

Council welcomes use of the coastal walkway and other paths in Randwick City for the purposes of exercise and active travel to avoid the use of public transport or carpooling. Council assists NSW Police through the Council’s CCTV network and staff to monitor high traffic areas and NSW Police respond accordingly.

Due to engineering, environmental and traffic factors it is not possible to widen most pathways within the City or to remove vegetation as this could lead to erosion.

Members of the public are required to carry a mask when away from their place of residence and are strongly encouraged to wear the mask in areas where it is not possible to socially distance, and where there is no practical alternative route.

We also encourage residents to consider back streets or smaller neighbourhood parks away from busy areas, or exercising outside of peak times. Council has turned lights on in many parks and sports fields to provide more time for people to exercise.

Is filming in parks and reserves allowed to continue?

Film productions are allowed to continue under the NSW Public Health Order, however, as the custodian of public lands Council works to ensure the safety of the community and that compliance with Public Health Orders is maintained.

Therefore, any application for filming and still photography in the Randwick Council area is considered based upon the information provided, including a relevant COVID safety plan.

Local businesses, construction industry and compliance

Can I open for trading, either in person or for click and collect/drop off?

As restrictions change, please keep up to date with NSW Health restrictions that apply to your specific business:

I’ve seen a business doing something wrong. What should I do?

Examples of this include:

  • They shouldn’t be open for trading or in person retail,
  • They are not enforcing Service NSW check-in requirements, or
  • They are breaching social distancing or mask rules.

NSW Police are responsible for compliance with the Public Health Orders. To report a breach of any of the rules please contact NSW Police Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.

I’ve seen customers or staff not wearing masks in a business. What should I do?

It is up to each individual and business to comply with mask wearing orders.

If you feel that the breach is deliberate and you wish to report it, please contact NSW Police Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000. For more information please visit:

There’s construction work going on that I feel is in breach of the orders.  What should I do?

The NSW Government has determined the rules for the construction industry. Note that in certain instances, works may be essential such as emergency plumbing, electrical and roofing works and these are allowed to continue.

To find out more on the restrictions please visit

Like all other breaches, please report them to NSW Police Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000. For more information please visit:

Can I sell goods or services to Council such as cleaning products or hand sanitiser?

Council currently has existing contracts in place for all services relating to deep cleaning, protective equipment and routine cleaning materials and products.

When looking to purchase goods or services, Council is bound by the relevant local government legislation, tendering regulations, purchasing policies and procedures. The purchase of all goods or services must go through a formal purchasing process to ensure equity and transparency.

Interested parties can monitor the Local Government Tenders section in

Details of quotations being sought by Council for various goods and services not under contract are also published on the website.

Randwick City Library

Can the library run a click and collect or a click and deliver service?

Our priority is to keep our community and staff as safe as possible and to follow current Public Health Orders. At present library services are not classified as an essential service by NSW Government so we have suspended all our in-person services.

Are there library services available online?

We provide a wide variety of electronic online resources that members can access on a smartphone, laptop or desktop computer.  Members can:

  • Stream films,
  • View magazines,
  • Borrow and download eBooks,
  • Borrow and listen to eAudiobooks,
  • Access education support,
  • Improve your language skills, and
  • Improve your skills to seek jobs.

For more information, visit

Can I join the library while it’s closed?

Yes, you can sign up as a member of the library to access online services.

I have items on loan. What should I do?

Relax and enjoy your current loans. All library items will be extended until our libraries reopen in person.

Last Updated: 25 October 2022
Back to top