Randwick Mayor Dylan Parker unveiled four new inductees to the Australian Surfing Walk of Fame at Maroubra Beach on Sunday 24 July 2022 during Council’s annual Beach Breaks event.
The Surfing Walk of Fame pays tribute to the outstanding achievements of Australia’s leading surfers and surf life savers
This year’s inductees are:
- Pauline Menczer - Pauline grew up in Bondi and regularly surfed the stretch from Bondi to Maroubra and is a pioneer in women's pro surfing. She is the 1988 Amateur World Champion, 1993 Women’s World Pro Champion, 2002 Women’s World QS Champion and 2018 Australian Hall of Fame inductee. Pauline is known to be a strong supporter of women's and disabled surfing.
- Pam Burridge - Pam Burridge is known as one of Australia’s first professional surfer girls and blazed the trail for a generation of surfers to come. She is the 1990 World Surf Riding Champion, 1980 and 1981 Australian Women's Surf Riding Champion and 1979-81 Women's Surf Riding Champion. Pam was the first woman in Australia to become a full-time professional surfer and she has devoted herself to the pursuit of excellence in her chosen sport.
- Jacqui Russell - Jacqui was one of the pioneers of women in surf lifesaving, in particular at South Maroubra SLSC. Jacqui joined South Maroubra as a 10-year-old nipper and in 1986 gained her Bronze Medallion award. It was only in 1980 when women were eligible to gain their Bronze and patrol and serve the community. She is the 1988 World Champion Open Women's Surf Race, 1987 and 1989 Australian Champion Open Women's Surf Race, 1988 NSW Sportswoman of the Year and on the 1994 Australian Surf Life Saving Representative Team to Asia Pacific Championships.
- John Holt OAM – John is a former World Australian and NSW Iron Man champion who trained at Des Renford Leisure Centre and Maroubra Beach to hone his skills. He is the 1971 and 1974 World Ironman Champion, a two-time Australian Ironman Champion (Junior 1970, Open 1977) and has won 95 out of his 123 Ironman events.
The Australian Surfing Walk of Fame at Maroubra Beach was initiated in 2006 and is the first of its kind in Australia.
The timetable for the day included:
- 9am The Surfing NSW Grommets Titles – Maroubra Beach
- 11am–4pm Beach Breaks activities, workshops and live music
- 1pm Australian Surfing Walk of Fame Presentation