On Wednesday 23 June 2021, the total number of COVID-19 cases linked to the Bondi Cluster in Sydney grew to 31. As a result, new restrictions were introduced by the State Government, which applies to Greater Sydney, and some to our Council area specifically.
These public health measures have been put in place to help contain an outbreak of the Delta variant. Starting from 4pm Wednesday 23 June 2021:
- Visitors to households will be limited to 5 guests — including children
- Masks will be compulsory in all indoor non-residential settings, including workplaces, and at organised outdoor events
- Drinking while standing at indoor venues will not be allowed
- Singing by audiences at indoor shows or by congregants at indoor places of worship will not be allowed
- Dancing will not be allowed at indoor hospitality venues or nightclubs however, dancing is allowed at weddings for the bridal party only (no more than 20 people)
- Dance and gym classes limited to 20 per class (masks must be worn)
- The one person per four square metre rule will be re-introduced for all indoor and outdoor settings, including weddings and funerals
- Outdoor seated events will be limited to 50 per cent seated capacity
- Previous public transport capacity limits, represented by green dots, will be reintroduced
- If you live or work in the City of Sydney, Waverley, Randwick, Canada Bay, Inner West, Bayside, and Woollahra local government areas, you cannot travel outside metropolitan Sydney for non-essential travel.
All Council venues are currently open. When visiting Council’s Customer Service Centre, Libraries, Des Renford Leisure Centre or the La Perouse Museum, visitors are required to sign in using a QR code and wear a mask while indoors. See more information about our Libraries, as well as Des Renford Leisure Centre, below.
To find out more about Council and our response to COVID-19, please head to this page.
COVID testing centres
There are more than 300 COVID-19 testing locations across NSW, many of which are open 7 days a week. A new location has just opened on Fitzgerald Street, Maroubra at Heffron Park. It is open from 8am-4pm, Monday to Friday only.
It is important to get tested, even if you have mild symptoms. You can find information about testing clinics here.
You can find the latest COVID-19 case locations and alerts in NSW here.
Capacities have been reduced to 4 square meters per person this means that:
- Library study rooms can accommodate one person at a time only
- Lionel Bowen Library max capacity of 300 persons
- Margaret Martin Library max capacity of 150 persons
- Malabar Library max capacity of 20 persons
JP Service has been suspended until Sunday 4 July 2021.
All library events and programs have been suspended until Friday 2 July 2021. This includes the following events:
- Table Tennis for Fun
- Chess Club for Adults
- Friday Movies at the Library
- Snip, Stick, Print (for school years 3-6) | IN PERSON
- Zine Fun-Damentals (for ages 12-18) | IN PERSON
- Robogals Sound of Colour Workshop (for school years 3-6) | IN PERSON
- Robot Rescue (for ages 12-18) | IN PERSON
- Meet the Author: John Michael (for school years 3-6) | IN PERSON
The following online event will continue:
Des Renford Leisure Centre
The following restrictions will be introduced at DRLC from 4pm Wednesday 23 June 2021 for one week:
- Face masks will be compulsory in all indoor settings for patrons over 12 years of age
- Dance and gym classes are limited to 20 per class (masks must be worn during classes)
Class entry will be on a first in, first served basis.
- The one person per four square metre rule will be re-introduced for all indoor and outdoor settings.
- Physical distancing is to be maintained at all times (minimum 1.5 metres between people)
- Practising good hygiene is an expectation of all customers (e.g. wearing a face mask, washing your hands regularly, coughing into your elbow, disinfecting surfaces you've touched, etc.);
- If you are feeling ill or exhibiting symptoms, you need to stay home and follow NSW Health guidelines in regards to getting COVID tested.
At this stage, all other services at DRLC remain unchanged. Should restrictions change further we will advise ASAP.