Street Names G-L
Street names G-H
- Gabee Place, MALABAR
Indigenous word meaning water.
- Gainford Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Named for Judy Gainford, a former Miss Australia. The street was constructed about 1949.
- Gale Road, MAROUBRA
George Gale, a Randwick Council alderman c.1898-1908. Mayor of Randwick 1902-1903.
- Galu Avenue, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning brolga.
- Garden Street, MAROUBRA
Possibly named because of its proximity to the nursery run by Herbert Garrett.
- Garie Place, COOGEE
Aboriginal word meaning national park.
- Garnet Street, COOGEE
Named for Garnet Wolseley (1833-1913), 1st Viscount Wolseley, British general.
- George Street, RANDWICK
Named for George IV. (One of a group of streets with historic names of the same period, for example Pitt Street).
- Gibson Place, CHIFLEY
Named for Alfred Gibson, explorer, a young member of Ernest Giles' 1874 expedition who disappeared in 1874 when searching for water near Alfred and Marie Range.
- Gilderthorpe Avenue, RANDWICK
Named for TR Gilderthorp, a Randwick Council alderman 1908-1917. Originally called Orange Street, and changed in 1930. When the name change was first advertised it was spelt incorrectly and that spelling has remained.
- Giles Street, CHIFLEY
Named for Ernest Giles (1835-1897), explorer. Dedicated in 1953.
- Gipps Avenue, LITTLE BAY
Named for Sir George Gipps (1791-1847), 17th Governor of NSW 1838-1846. Gipps approved the plan for Coogee to be gazetted as a village.
- Glanfield Street, MAROUBRA
Named in 1972 on the recommendation of Alderman AC Molloy. The Glanfield family had a long history in the Municipality, and Mr and Mrs Glanfield celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in 1972.
- Glebe Street, RANDWICK
Part of the Glebe Estate, land originally belonging to the church.
- Glen Avenue, RANDWICK
Formerly known as Dove Avenue.
- Glenugie Street, MAROUBRA
Possibly for the northern NSW river. Dedicated in 1943.
- Glenwood Avenue, COOGEE
Named by subdivider when land was subdivided on 22 September 1937.
- Gloucester Lane, KENSINGTON
Based on the London suburb of Kensington.
- Gloucester Place, KENSINGTON
Based on the London suburb of Kensington.
- Goodrich Avenue, KINGSFORD
Named for Lord Goodrich, secretary of state for colonies.
- Goodwood Street, KENSINGTON
Name of a racecourse in England.
- Goolagong Place, PHILLIP BAY
Named for Evonne Cawley, née Goolagong, (1951- ), Australian tennis player.
- Goonda Avenue, LA PEROUSE
Aboriginal word meaning dark, night, rain or cloud.
- Goora Street, LITTLE BAY
Aboriginal word meaning long or tall.
- Govett Street/Lane, RANDWICK
Formerly known as Flinders Street and Huddart Street. Named for William R. Govett (1807-1848), surveyor of the Blue Mountains.
- Gumara Street, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning possum.
- Green Street, MAROUBRA
Formerly known as Boyce Lane and changed to Green Street in 1972. Apparently not named for any resident.
- Greenstead Lane, RANDWICK
Takes its name from the building owned by the Marist Brothers, Greenstead Hall, which in turn was named for a place near Colchester, Essex.
- Greenwood Avenue, COOGEE
Named for William Greenwood, rector of St Nicolas Church, Coogee
- Gregory Street, COOGEE
Constructed in 1943.
- Greville Street, CLOVELLY
Portion of street formerly known as Seaview Street. Named for William C. Greville who bought 20 acres of land at Clovelly in 1834
- Grose Street, LITTLE BAY
Named for Francis Grose (1754-1814), 1st Lieutenant-Governor of NSW Commanded the colony for three years after Arthur Phillip's departure.
- Grosvenor Street, KENSINGTON
The family name of the Duke of Westminster.
- Haig Lane and Street, MAROUBRA
Named for Douglas Haig, 1st Earl Haig (1861-1928), British commander during World War I.
- Hall Street, CHIFLEY
Possible named for Charles Francis Hall (1821-1871),USA Arctic explorer.
- Hamel Road, MATRAVILLE
Named for Hamel, the name of a village near the Somme in northern France which was devastated in World War I.
- Hampson Avenue, MAROUBRA
Named for William K. Hampson, Randwick Council alderman c.1940-1950s.
- Hamilton Street, COOGEE
Named for Sir Ian Standish Monteith Hamilton (1853-1947), Commander-in-Chief of British forces at Gallipoli.
- Hannan Street/Lane, MAROUBRA
Named for Francis Hannan, Randwick Council alderman c.1902. Constructed around 1943/5.
- Hargraves Place, MAROUBRA
Named for Patrick R. Hargraves, a Randwick Council alderman in the 1960s. Formerly known as Pat Hargraves Place and shortened in 1970.
- Harper Street, RANDWICK
Changed in 1961 from Harper Lane to Harper Street.
- Harrison Avenue, MAROUBRA
Named for John Harrison, a former municipal engineer with Randwick Council.
- Hastings Avenue, CHIFLEY
Most likely named for Hastings in England, site of Norman victory over the Saxons in 1066.
- Havelock Avenue, COOGEE
Named for Sir Henry Havelock (1795-1857), British soldier and hero of the Indian mutiny.
- Hayward Street, KINGSFORD
Named for W. Hayward, Randwick Council alderman c.1900.
- Helena Street/Lane, RANDWICK
Changed from Clarke Street in 1943. Renamed for Helena, a character in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Nights Dream. Other streets nearby named for other characters in the same play: Titania and Oberon. A section was also originally called Elizabeth Street.
- Hendy Avenue, COOGEE
Originally called Pirate Street. Renamed for Roy Hendy, a Randwick Council alderman c.1890-1900. Hendy became town clerk of Sydney.
- Hennegar Access, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning shark.
- Henning Avenue, KINGSFORD
Constructed in 1943.
- Henry Street, RANDWICK
Possibly named for Henry Lee who owned land in the area in 1857. Originally called Perry Street.
- Herbert Street, MALABAR
Possibly named for Herbert Dudley, real estate agent in the area.
- Hereward Street, MAROUBRA
Named for the iron clipper, Hereward, which was wrecked on the northern end of Maroubra beach in 1898.
- Higgs Street, COOGEE
Originally a section of Melody Street, Coogee
- High Street, RANDWICK
Popular street name in English villages and towns.
- Hillary Parade, MATRAVILLE
Named for Sir Edmund Hillary (1919-2008), the first man to conquer Mount Everest (in 1953).
- Hincks Street, KINGSFORD
Named for James Hincks, a Randwick Council alderman in the early 1900s and Mayor of Randwick 1904. See also Apsley Avenue; Baker Street.
- Hinkler Street, MAROUBRA
Bert Hinkler (1892-1933), aviator who in 1928 became the first person to fly solo from Britain to Australia. Dedicated in 1943.
- Hitchcock Street
Became Nagle Street, MAROUBRA on 25 September 1931.
- Hodgson Street, RANDWICK
Named for Isaac B. Hodgson, a Randwick Council alderman from 1897 to the 1900s and Mayor of Randwick in 1900 and 1901.
- Holden Street, MAROUBRA
Named for Leslie Hubert Holden (1895-1932), pioneer airman awarded the Military Cross in 1918. He later became the Sydney manager of Holden's Motor Body Builders, the company formed by his uncle HJ Holden. Les Holden was responsible for finding Kingsford-Smith and Ulm when they disappeared in 1929. The street was constructed in 1943.
- Holkham Avenue, RANDWICK
Named for the town in Norfolk, England.
- Hooper Street, RANDWICK
Originally called Orange Street. Renamed for George Hooper who build his home there in 1848. Hooper was a market gardener and an alderman and auditor of Randwick Council.
- Houston Road and Lane, KENSINGTON
Named for William Houston, Randwick Council alderman c.1895-1908 and Mayor of Randwick 1898.
- Howe Street, MALABAR
Named for George William Howe, owner of Yarra Bay Pleasure Grounds, who was an alderman with Randwick Council c.1890s-1910, serving one term as Mayor. Died in 1916.
- Howell Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Named for GJ 'Snowy' Howell who received the Victoria Cross for fighting in Bullecourt, France, in 1917.
- Huddart Lane, RANDWICK
Named for JG Huddart, Randwick Council alderman 1903-1906.
- Hughes Avenue, MAROUBRA
Named for Evan H. Hughes, a Randwick Council alderman in the 1950-1960s.
- Humes Street, CHIFLEY
Named for Hamilton Hume (1797-1873), explorer. Dedicated in 1953.
- Hunter Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Named in 1958 for the NSW river which was named for John Hunter (1737-1821), second governor of NSW (Clarence and Namoi Streets dedicated at the same time).
- Hurley Crescent, MATRAVILLE
Captain James Francis Frank; Hurley (1890-1962), famous photographer who went to Antarctica and was an official photographer to AIF during the First World War.
Street names I-J
- Ian Street, KINGSFORD
Constructed in 1943.
- Iluka Place, COOGEE
Aboriginal word meaning near the sea.
- Ireton Street, MALABAR
Possible named for Henry Ireton (1611-1651), English soldier and son-in-law of Oliver Cromwell. (Cromwell Place is nearby).
- Isis Lane, KINGSFORD
Local name for upper stretches of the River Thames, England (near Oxford).
- Jacques Street, KINGSFORD
Part changed from Bird Gully and Byrd Avenue South on 25 November 1938. Named for the Jacques family who lived in the area and owned property in the Kingsford/Kensington area.
- Johnston Parade, MAROUBRA
Named for NC Johnston, a Randwick Council alderman in the 1950s.
- Joongah Street, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning octopus.
- Judge Street, RANDWICK
Named for Judge Callaghan who lived nearby in his house, Avoca.
Street names K-L
- Kain Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Named for Edgar Cobber Kain (1918-1940), a New Zealand fighter pilot in the RAF who became an early war ace.
- Kara Lane, RANDWICK
Aboriginal word meaning high up.
- Karoo Place, PHILLIP BAY
Aboriginal word meaning clouds.
- Keating Street, MAROUBRA
Constructed in 1945.
- Kelly Street and Lane, MATRAVILLE
Named for D. Kelly, a Randwick Council alderman 1908-1911
- Kelso Lane, RANDWICK
J. Kelso was a prominent horse trainer.
- Kemp Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Constructed around 1947.
- Kennedy Street and Lane, KINGSFORD
Formerly called Joffre Street.
- Kenny Avenue, CHIFLEY
Named for Victoria Cross winner, Private Thomas James Bede Kenny who won the Cross at Hermies, France on 9 April 1917.
- Kensington Road, KENSINGTON
Named for the suburb.
- Kildare Lane, COOGEE
Named for the county in Ireland.
- King Street/Lane, RANDWICK
Named for Named for Phillip Gidley King (1758-1808), third Governor of NSW from 1800 to 1806.
- Kingsford Street, MAROUBRA
Named for the suburb and dedicated in 1943.
- Kitchener Street, MAROUBRA
Originally called Rainbow Street and French Street. Changed in 1955. Renamed for Horatio Herbert Kitchener (1850-1916), British field marshall and statesman. Originally constructed in 1943.
- Knowles Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Formerly Togo Avenue. Name changed in 1943.
- Knox Street, CLOVELLY
Land in the area was owned by Sir Edward Knox (1819-1901), founder of the Australian Sugar Company. Sir Edward is buried in St Jude's cemetery.
- Koorooera Avenue, PHILLIP BAY
Aboriginal word meaning camp.
- Kooringai Avenue, PHILLIP BAY
Aboriginal word meaning home by the water.
- Kurrawa Avenue, COOGEE
Changed from O'Donnell Street in 1914. Kurrawa is an Aboriginal word meaning rough sea. Previous to O'Donnell, the street was called Paul Street. (See Council Minutes of 6 January 1914).
- Kynaston Avenue, RANDWICK
Edward Kynaston Wild was responsible for developing the Esmay Villa Estate in the area in 1922.
- Kyogle Street, MAROUBRA
Indigenous word meaning a brolga or camping ground. Most likely named for the town near the Queensland border. Constructed in 1943.
- Landy Street, MATRAVILLE
Named for John Landy, AC MBE, Australian athlete and Governor of Victoria from 2001 to 2006.
- Lasseter Avenue, CHIFLEY
Presumed to be named for Lance Harold Bell Lasseter (1880-1931?), Australian prospector who claimed a reef of gold existed in the vicinity of the Petermann and MacDonnell Ranges in the Northern Territory
- Lawson Street, MATRAVILLE
William Lawson (1774-1850), first to cross the Blue Mountains in 1813 with Blaxland and Wentworth. Dedicated in 1943.
- Lee Street, RANDWICK
Possibly named for Henry Lee who owned land in the area of what is now Lee Street in 1857.
- Leonard Avenue, KINGSFORD
Named by Herbert Dudley when he subdivided the area. Dudley named it after his daughter, Murielle, whose married name is Leonard.
- Lexington Place, MAROUBRA
US aircraft carrier in World War II which was sunk during the Coral Sea battle
- Liguria Street, SOUTH COOGEE
Name of a ship in the Orient line.
- Lindsay Street, PHILLIP BAY
Constructed in 1953.
- Lion Street and Lane, RANDWICK
From the Shakespearean play, A Midsummer Night's Dream.
- Little Bay Road, LITTLE BAY
Named for nearby Little Bay.
- Little Nathan Street
Became Nathan Street, COOGEE on 18 February 1927.
- Loch Maree Street, MAROUBRA
Name of Herbert Garrett's house which was situated nearby. The street was constructed around 1943.
- Long Bay Road
Became Malabar Road, SOUTH COOGEE on 17 November 1933.
- Lorne Avenue, KENSINGTON
Named for Lord Lorne, Duke of Argyle, son-in-law of Queen Victoria. Named in September 1913. (See Council Minutes of 30 September 1913).
- Lowe Street, CLOVELLY
Named for TJ Lowe, a Randwick Council alderman c.1884. Formerly called High Street
- Lucas Avenue, MALABAR
Named for WH Lucas, a Randwick Council alderman in the 1950s and Mayor of Randwick 1957-1958.
- Lurline Street, MAROUBRA
Probably named for the bay on which it ends.
Last Updated: 24 October 2022