Randwick City Council has this week commenced building new handball courts and a half basketball court at Heffron Park in Maroubra, Mayor Lindsay Shurey announced.
The works are part of the overall Plan of Management for Heffron Park – a 44 hectare regional sporting facility.
The works involve building two new handball courts to cater for both 1-wall and 3-wall games, a half basketball court and landscaping located on the western side of the park adjacent to Bunnerong Road.
Randwick Mayor Lindsay Shurey said the works will provide another sporting opportunity in the popular park.
“These courts will be well used by locals and visitors alike and will add to the diverse sporting opportunities available at Heffron,” Mayor Shurey said.
Also currently under construction nearby at the park is a new tennis centre.
The centre includes nine courts and an acrylic show court, spectator seating, a new tennis clubhouse, clubroom, kiosk and changing facilities along with landscaping, shade structures, fencing and lighting. Work is expected to be complete in late 2018.
Council is also progressing plans in the same area of the park for a new gymnastics centre, indoor sports centre and high performance centre and headquarters for the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
The new facilities will replace the dated existing indoor sports and gymnastics buildings and help revitalise the south-western section of the park.
Design work is underway and community consultation will occur in the future.
Randwick Council has invested millions of dollars into ongoing improvement works at Heffron Park over the past decade including:
- Heffron Cycling Clubhouse and amenities building (completed 2015)
- Kids playground (completed 2008)
- 1.1km shared cycleway extension (completed 2011)
- Heffron Pedal Park – kids educational bicycle facility (completed 2013)
- New car park on Jersey Road (completed 2013)
- New gym and leisure centre built at Des Renford Leisure Centre (completed 2014)
- New cycling clubhouse and amenities building (completed 2014)
- Amenities buildings
- Constructing new synthetic playing fields (Completed 2015)
- Construction of additional parking on Bunnerong Rd (completed 2016)
Construction of the handball courts and basketball court is expected to be complete in late 2018.
Back to top