Young Street, Randwick
'Newmarket' was built as 'Newmarket Hotel' by John Dillon in 1861. Property, including site of 'Big Stable' sold to James White, grazier and chairman of A.J.C.
'The Big Stable' built c.1880. A number of prominent racing men including Thomas Payten, Jim Pike, William Inglis and Son and W.J. Smith owned and leased stable.
During World War II used as detention barracks. After war as laminex factory.
Recently restored and returned to its original use by its present owners Wm. Inglis and Son.
The presence of Randwick racecourse, where racing was first held in 1833, brought to the suburb trainers, jockeys and stablehands, and from them developed a local racing industry which continues to this day.
Over the past century 'Newmarket' has stabled some of Australia's best horses. Built as a hotel on a ten-acre property in 1861 it was not a commercial success and the building, stables and grounds were bought by wealthy grazier James White, owner of a string of successful racehorses.
Stables fronting Barker Street were, in the 1860's, used by the Sydney Omnibus Company. All vehicles were then horse drawn.
One of White's trainers, Thomas Payten, eventually acquired the property and continued to live and train there until 1918 when the house and stables were sold to Wm. Inglis and Son.
The 'Big Stable' was used as a set in the film "Phar Lap." The stables were restored in the mid 1980's and received a Royal Australian Institute of Architecture Award, the Greenway Award, for conservation.