Due to the coronavirus we’ve closed many of our facilities including the Customer Service Centre. Please visit our COVID-19 page to see what is impacted.
Street names A-F
- Abbe Receveur Place, LITTLE BAY
Named after Louis Receveur, a Franciscan friar and scientist who sailed with Jean-François de Galaup, Comte de La Pérouse, on his expedition to the Pacific 1785-1788. He died in 1788 at La Perouse and is buried there. The word Abbé is theoretically incorrect. It would be more correctly Père.
- Ada Lane and Street, RANDWICK
Named after the only daughter of the English poet George Lord Byron. The name is most likely to have been suggested by Isaac Nathan who lived in nearby Byron Lodge.
- Adams Avenue, MALABAR
Named after former Randwick Council Alderman, CC Adams, an alderman during the 1940s.
- Addison Street, KENSINGTON
Named after Christopher Addison, (1869-1951), the first Viscount Addison of Stallingborough who was a British physician and political leader.
- Adina Avenue, PHILLIP BAY
Originally part of a crown land subdivision. Adina is an Aboriginal word meaning good. The street was dedicated in 1953.
- Aeolia Lane and Street, RANDWICK
Edwin Daintrey, (1814-1887), a lawyer and botanist, and founder of the Linnean Society of NSW, who had his home, Aeolia, built nearby in 1859.
- Ahearn Avenue, COOGEE
Named after Harold Norbert Ahearn, a local builder and developer.
- Ainslie Street, KINGSFORD
Part of a Crown land subdivision. Possibly named after Mt Ainslie in the ACT, which was named after a British naval officer who arrived in NSW in 1823 and managed a sheep run in the Canberra district. The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Albert Street, RANDWICK
After Prince Albert, consort to Queen Victoria.
- Albi Place, RANDWICK
Town in France and birthplace of French navigator-explorer, Jean-François de Galaup, Comte de La Pérouse. In 1988 a sister-city relationship was formed between Randwick and Albi.
- Albion Street, RANDWICK
Original poetic Greek and Roman name for Britain.
- Alexander Street, COOGEE
Named after John Alexander who owned land nearby in 1857.
- Alice Lane, RANDWICK
Probably named after the wife of Simeon Pearce, Alice Isabella Thompson. One of Pearce's daughters was also named Alice Isabella.
- Alice Street
Became Pine Street, RANDWICK 09/07/1930.
- Alison Lane and Road, RANDWICK
Formerly known as Randwick Road and Allison Street. Named after Mrs Allison, owner of the Queen's Arms Inn in Darlinghurst, who was Simeon Pearce's landlady at one time.
- Alkoo Avenue, LITTLE BAY
Aboriginal word meaning visitor.
- Alma Road, MAROUBRA
Formerly known as Alma Lane, the name was changed in 1972. Has Napoleonic significance.
- Amiens Crescent/Way, MATRAVILLE
Place in France which was the site of a battle during the First World War.
- Amour Avenue, MAROUBRA
Named for Francis Michael (known as Frank) Amour, former Randwick Council Alderman from 1960 to the 1970s. Mayor in 1973. He was born on 25 November 1930 and died on 12 October 2019.
- Anderson Street, KINGSFORD
Named after AW Anderson, a Randwick Council alderman around 1905-1908.
- Andrews Street, CLOVELLY
Probably named for a relation of the auctioneer, Arthur Blackwood, who sold the land around 1909. Blackwood Avenue is nearby.
- Anthony Lane and Street, MATRAVILLE
Part of a Gray and Mulroney subdivision. Named after George Gray's eldest son Anthony.
- Anzac Parade, KENSINGTON
Anzac Parade was named in 1917 to commemorate the occasion when the first AIF (Australian Imperial Force), camped at Kensington Racecourse, paraded down that road on their way to embark for overseas service. Parts of Anzac Parade were previously known as Randwick Road, Eastern Avenue, Bunnerong Road, Broad Road, and Tramway Crescent. Moore Park Road - Alison Road: Randwick Road, Alison Road opposite Lorne Avenue: Eastern Avenue; Lorne Avenue - Kingsford (9 ways): Bunnerong Road; Kingsford-Yarra Junction: Broad Road. Yarra Junction - La Perouse: Bunnerong Road; La Perouse tram terminus - La Perouse wharf known as Quambi Avenue renamed Anzac Parade in November 1934.
- Apsley Lane and Avenue, KINGSFORD
Formerly a portion of Hincks Street. Changed in November 1925.
- Araluen Street, KINGSFORD
Aboriginal word meaning place of running water. The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Arcadia Lane and Street, COOGEE
Originally named Fish Street. Renamed after Joyton-Smith's Arcadia Hotel.
- Archer Place, MAROUBRA
Named after Bill Archer, a long-time Randwick Council employee who retired in about 1970. His father, Andrew William Archer, died in about 1932 while employed with Randwick Council.
- Arden Street and Lane, COOGEE
The Forest of Arden was the setting for Shakespeare's play As you like it. Prior to 1913, the Arden Vale Estate adjoined Arden Street.
- Armentieres Way, MATRAVILLE
Town in Northern France which was the site of battles during the First World War.
- Arthur Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Named after the son of James Pearce, Simeon Pearce's brother.
- Ascot Street, KENSINGTON
Named after English racecourse in the village of Ascot.
- Astoria Circuit, MAROUBRA
Part of the Coral Sea subdivision. "Astoria" was a USA cruiser during the Second World War.
- Asher Street, COOGEE
Possibly after local resident J. Asher.
- Astolat Street, RANDWICK
Formed part of the Astolat estate, owned by Laurence Bergin.
- Astoria Circuit, MAROUBRA
Part of the Coral Sea subdivision. Astoria was a US cruiser during the Second World War.
- Athol Street, COOGEE
Early house name. Formerly called Fraser Street.
- Australia Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Dedicated in 1937 and probably so named because of the 150th anniversary celebrations of white settlement in Australia.
- Avoca Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Changed from Frenchmans Road in 1859. Named after Judge Callaghan's home, Avoca, which in turn was named after the place in Ireland.
- Baden Street, COOGEE
Named for the Baden Baden Hotel in that street.
- Baird Avenue and Lane, MATRAVILLE
Possibly named after Sir John Lawrence Baird, Viscount Stonehaven (1874-1941) who was Australian Governor-General between 1925 and 1930.
- Baker Street, KENSINGTON
Named for George J. Baker, a Randwick Council alderman 1910-1920s for the north ward. Mayor of Randwick 1920-1921. Formerly part of Hincks Street and renamed in November 1930.
- Balfour Lane and Road, KENSINGTON
Named for Arthur James Balfour, 1st Earl of Balfour (1848-1930), and British Prime Minister from 1902 to 1905.
- Banburaang Street, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning bearded dragon or jackie lizard.
- Banks Street, MAROUBRA
Possibly named for Sir Joseph Banks (1743-1820), botanist with Captain Cook. Formerly called Victoria Road.
- Baragoola Avenue, PHILLIP BAY
The Aboriginal word means flood tide. The Baragoola ferry was launched in 1922. It collided with and killed a whale on 28 August 1934. The ferry was converted to diesel-electric between 1958-1961.
- Barden Lane, RANDWICK
Name of a prominent real estate family in Randwick. Jim Barden had stables in the lane.
- Baringa Avenue, PHILLIP BAY
Aboriginal word meaning light.
- Barker Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Named for the Bishop of Sydney, Frederic Barker (1808-1882) who was the first bishop to live at Bishopscourt, Randwick.
- Barry Street and Lane, CLOVELLY
Named for another former bishop of Sydney, Alfred Barry (1826-1910). Formerly called Barker and Park Streets
- Bass Street, KINGSFORD
Named for George Bass (1771-1803), surgeon and explorer.
- Battery Street
Became Melrose Parade, CLOVELLY, in September 1937.
- Bay Parade, MALABAR
Named for Long Bay.
- Beach Street and Lane, COOGEE
So named for its proximity to Coogee Beach.
- Bapaume Parade, MATRAVILLE
French town where Anzacs were engaged in fighting during World War I.
- Beatty Street and Lane, MAROUBRA
Named for British admiral, David Beatty (1871-1936). The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Beauchamp Road, MATRAVILLE
Originally named Old Botany Road. Renamed Beauchamp Road after William Lygon, Earl of Beauchamp (1872-1938), governor ofNSW 1899-1901.
- Beaumetz Way, MATRAVILLE
French town not far from Bapaume, site of fighting during World War I.
- Bedford Place, COOGEE
Originally named Pearce Street (between Denning Street and Malabar Road). Renamed Bedford Place after A. T. Bedford, Randwick Council alderman during 1940s and Mayor 1949.
- Bega Avenue, LITTLE BAY
Aboriginal word meaning "large camping ground."
- Bellevue Street, MAROUBRA
Possibly named for the beautiful view from the street or after Belle Vue Station, the home of Sir Austin Chapman's wife (Chapman Avenue is nearby).
- Belmore Road, RANDWICK
Formerly called Growin Street and Whale Street. Part renamed Coogee Bay Road between Perouse to Beach Street, 30 November 1930. Belmore Road also originally part of Perouse Road. Renamed after the Earl of Belmore, Sir Somerset Richard Lowry-Corry, who was governor of NSW between 1868 and 1872.
- Bennett Place, MAROUBRA
Named for AR 'Bluey' Bennett, a Randwick Council North Ward alderman in the 1950-1960s.
- Benvenue Street, KINGSFORD
Part of a crown land subdivision and dedicated in 1943.
- Berwick Street, COOGEE
Name of an English town near the Scottish border.
- Beulah Street, KINGSFORD
The name from the reference in Isaiah 6 2.4: "...and thy land shall be called Beulah..."
- Bilga Crescent, MALABAR
Aboriginal word meaning bee's nest.
- Binda Crescent, LITTLE BAY
Aboriginal word meaning deep water.
- Bishops Avenue, RANDWICK
So named because Anglican bishops lived nearby in Bishops court which was part of an estate granted in 1856 to Frederic Barker, Bishop of Sydney.
- Blackwood Avenue, CLOVELLY
Probably named for the auctioneer, Arthur Blackwood, who sold the land around 1909. Neighbouring Andrew Street probably has a connection with the family.
- Black Lion Place, KENSINGTON
Based on the London suburb of Kensington.
- Blaxland Street, MATRAVILLE
Named for Gregory Blaxland (1788-1853) who, with William Lawson and William Charles Wentworth were first Europeans to discover a route across the Blue Mountains in 1813. The street was dedicated in 1953.
- Blenheim Street, RANDWICK
Originally the drive to Blenheim House, the home of Simeon Pearce, Randwick's first mayor. The house was completed in 1848.The house itself was named after Pearce's minister's residence in England.
- Bligh Place, RANDWICK
Named for Bernie Bligh, a spec. builder who lived in the area. Bligh's son WM Bligh owned tennis courts nearby which have been replaced by residential flats.
- Bligh Street, CHIFLEY
Named for the former governor of the NSW Colony, William Bligh (1754-1817) who is also the Bligh of the Bounty mutiny. The street was dedicated in 1953.
- Bloomfield Street, COOGEE
Former Randwick Council alderman, C. Bloomfield was an early resident in the area, around the1890s. Formerly called Robertson Street. Declared a public road in 1948.
- Bona Vista Avenue, MAROUBRA
- Bond Street, MAROUBRA
Street named for Henry Bond who owned land in the area.
- Boomerang Street, MAROUBRA
Probably named because of its shape. Boomerang is the Aboriginal word for a throwing weapon.
- Boora Point, MALABAR
Boora was supposedly the Aboriginal name for Long Bay
- Boronia Street, KENSINGTON
Flowering shrub grown extensively in the area.
- Borrodale Road, KINGSFORD
Named after Henry Borrodale, a Randwick Council alderman c.1901.
- Botany Lane and Street, RANDWICK
Assumed so called because of the garden nurseries in the area. These nurseries were run by the Pearce brothers, Simeon and James.
- Boundary Street, CLOVELLY
On the municipal boundary between Randwick and Waverley.
- Bougainville Court, MAROUBRA
Part of the Coral Sea Park housing development. Named after the island because of its World War II connections - Japanese navy suffered a great defeat there. The island was named after Louis Antoine de Bougainville (1729-1811), French navigator and scientist.
- Bow Lane, KINGSFORD
Shortened version of Rainbow.
- Bowen Place, MAROUBRA
Named for Lionel Bowen, Randwick Council alderman 1950s and mayor in 1951 and 1955. Member of State parliament 1962-1969. Member for Kingsford-Smith in Federal parliament 1969-1990. Deputy Prime Minister 1983-1990.
- Bowral Street, KENSINGTON
Named for town in the Southern Highlands. Bowral means high.
- Boyce Lane, MAROUBRA
See Galvin Street, Glanfield Street, Green Street.
- Boyce Road, MAROUBRA
Named for Francis Stewart Boyce (1872-1940). MLC 1923-1932; became a judge of the Supreme Court of NSW in 1924.
- Bradley Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Walter Bradley, former alderman with Randwick Council in 1870s and mayor of Randwick 1870-1872 and 1874. Bradley lived in the street.
- Bream Street/Lane, COOGEE
Named for the fish.
- Bridges Street, MAROUBRA
Named for William T. Bridges (1861-1915) who commanded the 1st AIF Died from wounds received at Gallipoli.
- Brigids Lane, RANDWICK
Named for the Brigidine convent nearby.
- Brisbane Street, CHIFLEY
Sir Thomas Brisbane (1773-1860), governor of the colony 1821-1825. Dedicated in 1953.
- Broad Street
Became Anzac Parade in April 1931.
- Brompton Road, KENSINGTON
After Brompton Road in the London suburb of Kensington.
- Brompton Square, KENSINGTON
Based on the London suburb of Kensington.
- Broome Street, MAROUBRA
Named for Horatio Herbert Kitchener, Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and Viscount Broome of Broome (1850-1916). British soldier and administrator. The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Brown Road, MAROUBRA
Formerly known as Aub Brown Road after former Deputy Town Clerk of Randwick Council and shortened to Brown Road in 1970.
- Bruce Bennetts Place, MAROUBRA
Name of a former Maroubra Surf Club boat captain who was accidentally killed at Coogee.
- Budd Avenue, LITTLE BAY
Named for an early female resident of that name who lived there.
- Budjan Street, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning bird.
- Bullecourt Way, MATRAVILLE
French battlefield during the First World War.
- Bumborah Point Road, MATRAVILLE
Aboriginal word meaning wave running out to sea.
- Bundock Street and Lane, RANDWICK
James B. Bundock, former Randwick Council alderman c.1897.
- Burragulung Street, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning wallaby.
- Burton Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Probably named for Joseph Burton, a horse trainer who lived in the area of Burton Street at the turn of the century. Formerly called Bruce Street.
- Bunnerong Road, MATRAVILLE
Formerly known as Botany Bay Old Road. Bunnerong is the Aboriginal word for sleeping lizard. See also Anzac Parade.
- Bunya Parade, COOGEE
Aboriginal word meaning shade.
- Burbong Street, KINGSFORD
Part of a crown land subdivision. Aboriginal name for Goulburn. The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Burke Street, CHIFLEY
Named after Robert O'Hara Burke (1821-1861), explorer. With William John Wills became the first Europeans to cross Australia from south to north. The street was dedicated in 1953.
- Byna Street, MALABAR
Various Aboriginal meanings: possum; type of tree or cutting or cleft.
- Byng Street and Lane, MAROUBRA
Byng of Vimy, Julian Hedworth Byng, 1st Viscount (1862-1935). English field marshall. The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Byrd Avenue, KINGSFORD
Changed from Bird's Gully in 1930. Named for Richard Evelyn Byrd (1888-1957), the American Antarctic and Arctic explorer, also a rear admiral. The street follows one of the streams into the Lachlan Swamps.
- Byrne Avenue, COOGEE
Named for AC Byrne, former Randwick Council alderman between 1956 and 1962. Other streets nearby are also named for former aldermen.
- Bryne Crescent, MAROUBRA
Shortened after the British poet Byron, George Gordon Noel Byron, 6th Baron (1788-1824). Isaac Nathan who lived nearby in Byron Lodge was friendly with Byron before he came to Sydney and was influential in having streets named after both Byron and Byron's daughter, Ada.
- Byron Street, COOGEE
Presumably or Lord Byron. See also Ada Lane and Street.
- Caerleon Crescent, RANDWICK
A school and a house of that name used to be in the area.
- Cairo Street, COOGEE
Named for the Egyptian city of that name.
- Caley Street, CHIFLEY
Formerly known as Wills Street. Changed to Caley Street in 1940. George Caley (1770-1829), botanist was appointed Botanical collector in NSW (1800). Returned to England in 1810. Dedicated in 1953.
- Calga Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Aboriginal word meaning star or stony ridge.
- Cameron Street
Became Pitt Street in September 1929.
- Camira Street, MAROUBRA
Aboriginal word meaning wind or reeds used in making dillybags. The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Campbell Street and Lane, CLOVELLY
Possibly named for former Randwick Council alderman for Coogee ward between 1908 and 1913, Arch. Campbell, Mayor of Randwick 1913; or after John Campbell who owned Mundarrah Towers 1866-1972. Formerly called Carlisle Street.
- Canara Avenue, PHILLIP BAY
Possibly named for the MV Canara. Dedicated in 1953.
- Canberra Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Originally called Tiger Street. Renamed after Canberra, the place. The Aboriginal meaning of Canberra is meeting place. Named in October 1913. (See Council Minutes of 14 October 1913).
- Cantrill Avenue, MAROUBRA
Named for the former Randwick Council alderman during the 1950-1960s, Arthur Cantrill.
- Carnegie Circuit, CHIFLEY
Named for the World War II USA warship, USS Carnegie. Dedicated in 1953.
- Carrington Road, RANDWICK
Formerly known as Nathan Street and Power Street. Renamed after Lord Carrington (1843-1928), Charles Robert Wynn, Marquis of Lincolnshire, governor of NSW 1885-1890. Lord Carrington dedicated Centennial Park.
- Carter Street, RANDWICK
Named for JG Carter, a Randwick Council alderman c.1899. Formerly called Arthur Street.
- Centennial Avenue, RANDWICK
Named for Centennial Park, which was developed as a recreational area to commemorate the centenary of Colony's founding.
- Chapman Avenue, MAROUBRA
Possibly named for Sir Austin Chapman (1864-1926), MLA for Braidwood 1894-1901, MHR for Eden-Monaro 1901-1926. Sir Austin lived in Eden Monaro, Maroubra Road and is buried in the Randwick cemetery.
- Charlotte Road, MATRAVILLE
Named for the First Fleet transport, the Charlotte.
- Charman Avenue, MAROUBRA
Chapman and Charles local real estate agents combined their names to form Charman.
- Chatham Street, RANDWICK
Named for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham (1708-1778), English orator and statesman. (Pitt Street is nearby).
- Chester Avenue, MAROUBRA
Chester Nimitz, USA admiral, Commander-in-chief of naval forces in Pacific during World War II.
- Chicago Avenue, MAROUBRA
USS Chicago, USA warship during World War II. The Chicago was attacked by Japanese mini submarines whilst in Sydney Harbour and was involved in the Battle of Coral Sea.
- Chichester Street, MAROUBRA
Named after Sir Francis Chichester (1901-1972), English yachtsman and aviator. Chichester made the first east-west solo flight across the Tasman Sea in 1931. The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Church Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Originally intended that a Wesleyan Church was to be built there.
- Clara Street, RANDWICK
Named for Simeon Pearce's daughter.
- Clarence Street, MATRAVILLE
Named in 1958 after the Clarence river which was named after the Duke of Clarence (1765-1837), later to become William IV. (Nearby Namoi and Hunter Streets dedicated at the same time).
- Clarke Lane, RANDWICK
Possibly named for Henry Clarke who owned The Pines in nearby Avoca Street.
- Cliffbrook Parade, CLOVELLY
Named for the house of the same name which was demolished in 1976.
- Clifton Road, CLOVELLY
Named for a suburb of Bristol, England.
- Clift Lane, CLOVELLY
Named for an early resident of the area.
- Clio Lane, MAROUBRA
Named for one of the Greek Muses, Clio, the goddess of history.
- Clisby Way, MATRAVILLE
Australian World War II fighter pilot, Lionel Clisby, killed in France 1940.
- Close Street, COOGEE
Named for Richard Colonna-Close who owned some land in the area in the 1880s-1890s. The land was later subdivided under the name of Colona Point Estate in 1910.
- Clove Lane, CLOVELLY
A concentration of Clovelly from nearby Clovelly Road.
- Clovelly Road, CLOVELLY
Known as Susan Street until 1928 when it was renamed after the suburb. The section of Clovelly Road between Darley Road and Market Street was known as Orange Street until 1930.
- Cobham Street, MAROUBRA
Sir Alan Cobham (1894-1973), English aviator who flew from England to Australia and back in 1926. Dedicated in 1943.
- Coldstream Street, COOGEE
Possibly named after the small town on the English/Scottish border OR the English military unit which forms part of the English Monarch's guard. Dedicated in 1943.
- College Street
Became Tunstall Avenue in June 1928.
- Combles Parade, MATRAVILLE
Agricultural village in northern France which formed part of the battle line during World War I.
- Conway Avenue, RANDWICK
Name of a land subdivider/developer who lived in the area.
- Coogee Bay Road, COOGEE
First named Whale Street then Coogee Bay Road. It was changed to Belmore Road in 1930 before becoming Coogee Bay Road again. See also Coogee Street.
- Cook Street, RANDWICK
Probably named after Alfred Cook, a prominent Randwick citizen and alderman with Randwick Council during the 1870s.
- Cooper Street and Lane, MAROUBRA
D. M. Cooper, Randwick Council alderman in early 1900s. Mayor of Randwick 1911 and 1914. Dedicated in 1943.
- Cottenham Avenue, KENSINGTON
Town in Cambridgeshire, England.
- Court Avenue, KINGSFORD
Named because of tennis courts that were situated close by.
- Cowper Street, RANDWICK
Named for Sir Charles Cowper (1807-1875), colonial treasurer and later premier of NSW1856, 1857-1859, 1861-1863, 1865-1866 and 1870. Friend of Simeon Pearce.
- Cox Street, COOGEE
Possibly named for WV Cox, alderman for the West Ward 1945-1950.
- Crana Avenue, COOGEE
Aboriginal word meaning welcome. Used to be the meeting place of a social club called the Savage Club who held monthly dinners there. Named in 1952.
- Cromwell Place, MALABAR
Formerly Malabar Road. Changed to Cromwell Place in 1951. Named after Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658), English soldier, statesman and Lord Protector of the Commonwealth.
- Cunningham Street, MATRAVILLE
Allan Cunningham (1791-1839), British botanist and explorer with Oxley. (Other streets nearby are also named after explorers). Dedicated in 1953.
- Curtin Crescent, MAROUBRA
Formerly Dan Curtin Crescent and shortened to Curtin Crescent in 1970. Daniel James Curtin was Federal Member of Parliament for Watson 1949-1955 and Kingsford-Smith 1955-1969.
- Cuthill Street, RANDWICK
Dr. Alexander Cuthill, first medical officer of the Destitute Children's Asylum at Randwick.
- Cuzco Street, COOGEE
Name of a sailing ship trading between South America and Sydney. Cuzco is also the name of the Inca capital in Peru.
- Dacre Street and Lane, MALABAR
Possibly named after Lord Hampton, 21st Baron Dacre, speaker in the English House of Commons or the Dacre baronies which had connections with Oliver Cromwell (Cromwell Street is nearby).
- Daintrey Crescent, RANDWICK
Edwin Daintrey (1814-1887), solicitor, Daintrey held land and built in 1859 a substantial home which now forms part of the Brigidine Convent. Founder of the Linnean Society of NSW
- Dampier Street, CHIFLEY
William Dampier (c.1652-1715), early explorer of Australia's west coast. Dedicated in 1953.
- Dan Avenue, MAROUBRA
Originally called George Dan Place.
- Dangar Lane/Street, RANDWICK
Possibly named after the Dangar family who were well represented in parliament during 19th century. Henry Cary Dangar (1830-1917) was a barrister and MLA and MLC and Committee member of the AJC.
- Dans Avenue, COOGEE
Formed part of the Dans Estate.
- Darling Lane and Street, KENSINGTON
Possibly named for John Darling (1852-1914), Australian company director and politician and associated with the establishment ofBHP
- Darley Road and Lane, RANDWICK
Formerly known as Boundary Street. Renamed after Sir Frederick Darley (1830-1910), Chief Justice and Lieutenant-Governor of the NSW colony.
- Daunt Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Formerly Togo Road (between Bunnerong Road and Combles Parade). Renamed in 1942 after a local sailor lost when HMAS Sydney was sunk in November of that year.
- Davidson Crescent, MAROUBRA
Named for Sir Walter Davidson, governor of NSW between 1918 and 1923. Dedicated in 1925.
- Dawes Avenue, LITTLE BAY
Named for Lieutenant William Dawes (1762-1836) who was on the First Fleet.
- Day Avenue and Lane, KENSINGTON
Name changed from Day Street in 1925 to avoid confusion with Tay Street. Named after WR Day, a Randwick Council alderman from the 1890s to 1910.
- Denning Street, COOGEE
Named for George Denning, a Randwick Council alderman from about 1860 to the 1880s and mayor of Randwick 1885.
- Dewey Court, MAROUBRA
Named for a US World War II admiral.
- Dick Street, RANDWICK
There are two Dr Dicks in Randwick history, Dr Alexander Dick who owned land nearby in 1856 and Dr James Adam Dick (1866-1942). More likely to be named after Dr James Dick who resided at Catfoss and married into the early Randwick family of Wall.
- Dine Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Formerly known as Carlton Street and renamed after a local stonemason, Silas Dine (1831-1892).
- Dive Street, MATRAVILLE
Named for the Dive family who operated Dive's brickworks. Samuel Dive (1853-1918) was a pioneer of the district and A.E. Dive became a Randwick Council alderman c.1931-34. Named in September 1913. (See Council Minutes of 30 September 1931). The street was apparently named 22 September 1937.
- Djirama Street, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning tea tree.
- Dolphin Street and Lane, COOGEE
Originally called William Street then named after the animal.
- Don Juan Avenue, RANDWICK
Named after the hero of Byron's famous poem Don Juan. (Isaac Nathan, a friend of Byron, lived nearby and had several streets named for their connection with his friend). Formerly called Thorn and Goldbrough Lanes.
- Donovan Avenue, MAROUBRA
Named for AJ Donovan, a Randwick Council alderman c.1930-1940s who founded the South Ward Municipal League to agitate for a Municipality of Maroubra. Founded the Messenger newspaper. Died 1942. The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Doncaster Avenue, KENSINGTON
Named for the racecourse in England.
- Donnellan Circuit, CLOVELLY
Named for John J. Donnellan, a former Randwick chief engineer who retired in February 1965.
- Dooligah Avenue, RANDWICK
Indigenous word meaning mythical man.
- Dowling Street and Lane, KENSINGTON
Sir James A. Dowling (1787-1844), second Chief Justice of NSW who owned land in Coogee and was principle police magistrate for the colony. The western part of Todman Ave was also called Dowling Street.
- Duri Street, MALABAR
Aboriginal word meaning: to crawl or snake crawling in the grass.
- Dutruc Street, RANDWICK
Named for Pierre Dutruc (1804-1882), early Randwick resident, council alderman, teacher and wine merchant. Dutruc is buried in Randwick cemetery. He was also briefly the French consul.
- Dwyer Avenue, LITTLE BAY
Named for Matt Dwyer, Randwick Council alderman 1940s-1950s and Mayor of Randwick 1953. The street was also dedicated in 1953.
- Eastbourne Avenue, CLOVELLY
After the English seaside resort.
- Eastmore Place, MAROUBRA
Changed from Weller Lane to Eastmore Place in 1972. Residents petitioned Randwick Council and suggested the new name and although no reason was given for the new choice it has been suggested that several residents of the street were supporters of the Eastern Suburbs rugby league team.
- Edgar Street, KINGSFORD
The street was dedicated in 1943.
- Edgecliffe Avenue, COOGEE
Possibly because of its proximity to the cliff edge.
- Edgecumbe Avenue, COOGEE
Possibly named after John Edgecumbe, sergeant of marines on the Endeavour.
- Elaroo Avenue, PHILLIP BAY
Aboriginal word meaning day. Dedicated in 1953.
- Ellen Street, RANDWICK
Formerly called Calder and Cavill Streets.
- Elphinstone Road, COOGEE
Named for Charles E. Elphinstone, a surveyor with the NSW Lands Department. Elphinstone was Surveyor-General of NSWbetween November 1960 and November 1963.
- Endeavour Avenue, LA PEROUSE
Street originally called Aborigine Avenue and Abbotts Street. Renamed after Captain Cook's ship following agitation from non-Aboriginal residents.
- Eucla Crescent, MALABAR
Aboriginal word: a point or the bluff or brightfire, (descriptive of planet Venus).
- Eulalie Avenue, RANDWICK
Second name of Pierre Dutruc's wife, Louise Eulalie. Mme Dutruc conducted a young ladies' school in Avoca Street, Randwick. She died in 1890 and is buried in Randwick cemetery.
- Eurimbla Avenue, RANDWICK
Possibly named for SS Eurimbla, a small vessel on the Sydney to Newcastle coal run.
- Evans Street, RANDWICK
Probably named for George William Evans, (1780-1852), surveyor and explorer. (Govett and King Streets are nearby).
- Eyre Street, CHIFLEY
Edward John Eyre (1815-1901), explorer of south-western Australia. The street was dedicated in 1953.
- Farnham Avenue, RANDWICK
A house, Farnham Grange, was built nearby around 1860.
- Farthing Place, MAROUBRA
Named for Jim Farthing, long-time Randwick Council employee, overseer of works who retired around1964.
- Fenton Avenue, MAROUBRA
Named for John Fenton, Randwick Council alderman in 1910s and Mayor of Randwick 1916-1917.
- Ferguson Lane and Street, MAROUBRA
Formerly Robey Lane between Murray Street and Maroubra Road. Renamed after Carl Ferguson, a former Randwick Council alderman. Built about 1946.
- Fewings Street, CLOVELLY
Originally called Frederick Street. Changed in 1937 to Fewings Street after Frederick Fewings, (1830-1914) proprietor of the Coogee Palace Aquarium and owner of a timber business at Charing Cross. He owned land in the area.
- Figtree Avenue, RANDWICK
Named for the Figtree family who lived nearby.
- Finucane Crescent, MATRAVILLE
Named for Brendan Finucane (1920-1942), Irish, famous RAF fighter pilot during World War II.
- First Avenue, MAROUBRA
An attempt to copy the American method of naming streets by numbers (Second Avenue is nearby).
- Fischer Street and Lane, KINGSFORD
H.B. Fischer, Randwick Council alderman for Middle ward c.1908-1911.
- Fishburn Road, MATRAVILLE
Name of the store ship that was part of the First Fleet.
- Fisherman's Road, MALABAR
This is an access road to Yellow Rock, a popular spot with local fishermen, hence the name.
- Fitzgerald Avenue, MAROUBRA
Formerly Hogue Street between Robey Street and Anzac Parade. Renamed for John Daniel Fitzgerald (1862-1922), a prominent figure in the Greater Sydney movement. He was MLA 1891-1894, MLC1915-1922 and Minister for Local government 1916-1920.
- Flanders Avenue, MATRAVILLE
Named for the region in Belgium which was the site of many battles during the First World War.
- Flers Way, MATRAVILLE
A private access way named by the Housing Commission in harmony with other Soldier Settlement street names which have First World War origins. Flers is in northern France.
- Flinders Street, MATRAVILLE
Named for Matthew Flinders (1774-1814), explorer and chart maker, the first man to circumnavigate Australia. The street was dedicated in 1953.
- Flood Street, CLOVELLY
Named for Thomas Flood who owned land in Clovelly. Formerly called Victor Street.
- Flower Street/Lane, MAROUBRA
Named for E.V. Flower, a Randwick Council alderman for the Coogee Ward c.1906-1911.
- Foots Place, MAROUBRA
Named for Mark Foots, Randwick Council alderman 1931-1936.
- Ford Road, MAROUBRA
Named for John Ford, Randwick Council alderman, 1962-1987. Mayor of Randwick: 1981. Road was originally called John Ford Road but shortened to Ford Road in 1970.
- Forrest Street, CHIFLEY
Named for Sir John Forrest (1847-1918), explorer. Became first premier of Western Australia and later a minister in the federal government. Built in 1953.
- Fowler Crescent, COOGEE
Named for HJ Fowler, Randwick Council alderman, c.1950-1960s.
- Fox Street, MALABAR
Named for Dr George Fox, member of the Fijian Legislative Council and a guest at Randwick's Jubilee celebrations in 1909.
- Frances Street and Lane, RANDWICK
Formerly known as Johns Lane. Renamed after one of Simeon Pearce's daughters.
- Franklin Street, MALABAR
Named for Sir John Franklin (1786-1847), English naval officer and Lieutenant-Governor of Van Diemen's Land 1836-1842. Sailed on the Erebus seeking the Northwest Passage and died when his ship was trapped in the ice.
- Frederick Street, COOGEE
Named for one of Simeon Pearce's sons. Originally called Meymott Street.
- French Street and Lane, MAROUBRA
Section between Haig Street and French Street formerly known as Cooper Street. Named on 5 March 1927 after Sir John French (1852-1925), British Commander-in-Chief during World War I who became the 1st Earl of Ypres in 1922 and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland 1918-1921.
- Frenchmans Road, RANDWICK
Named for French explorer, Jean-François de Galaup, Comte de La Perouse, and his crew. Originally included what is now known as Avoca Street. One of the oldest European roads in Australia, dating to 1788.
- Friendship Road, MATRAVILLE
Named for transport ship with the First Fleet.
- Fromelles Way, MATRAVILLE
Named for place in France which was the site of fighting during World War I.