The Office of Local Government has announced that Council elections Scheduled for Saturday 12 September 2020 have been postponed to Saturday 4 September 2021. The decision to postpone the elections until September 2021 has been made in consultation with and on the advice of the NSW Electoral Commissioner.  Currently sitting Randwick Councillors will automatically serve another 12 months. Current Mayor Councillor Danny Said will also continue as Mayor until the election.

The 2021 Local Government elections event page is now live on the Electoral Commission’s website.

A person is entitled to vote at a council election if they are:

  • at least eighteen years of age and an Australian citizen
  • a resident of the council's area or a non-resident owner of rateable land or an occupier or ratepaying lessee of rateable land in the council's area.

Each person has only one vote for any council, and voting is compulsory for residents (but not for people on the non-residential roll). If you are unable to vote on election day due to disability, illness or travel you can apply for a postal vote or a pre-poll vote. There is no absentee voting in council elections. Please visit the Electoral Commission website for further information regarding postal and pre-poll voting.

Legal Obligations of Candidates

It is the responsibility of Councillors seeking re-election and new candidates to familiarise themselves with the legislated responsibilities of candidates and councillors around the election itself, such as nominating and the rules around campaigning.

The nomination process, the electoral laws that candidates must comply with and the ongoing obligations of councillors to make disclosures about electoral funding are administered by the NSW Electoral Commission (NSWEC). Non-compliance with or mistakes about these responsibilities may mean political participants miss out on running in an election and/or find themselves facing significant enforcement action, such as fines.

We would strongly suggest that candidates consult with the NSWEC to get a full understanding of the processes, their obligations in relation to nomination and other laws that apply to candidates.  Returning Councillors and candidates should go to the NSWEC’s website at www.elections.nsw.gov.au for more information. Candidates can also contact the NSWEC via email candidates@elections.nsw.gov.au or phone the Candidate Helpdesk 1300 022 011.

The NSWEC is also planning to run a series of candidate webinars in the coming months, which will also be recorded and loaded onto their website, alongside other election-focused material. Candidates should find these both useful and informative.

Non-Residential Roll

People who do not live in the Randwick area but pay rates on a property in this area are entitled to register to be included on the Non-Residential roll and to vote at the election. Click on the links below to download an application form. These rolls lapse after each election, so even if you have registered for a previous election you will need to register again.

In order to qualify for enrolment on the non-residential roll as a non-resident owner, a person must be an owner or nominated by the owner or owners of rateable land in the area. Rateable land means land that is rateable to an ordinary rate or a special rate, or both.

Please visit the Electoral Commission website for further information regarding applying for inclusion on the Non-Residential Roll.

Non-residential Rolls Application Forms

The forms below allow those electors seeking to apply for inclusion on the non-residential rolls to supply the necessary information to Randwick Council for that inclusion.

Forms must be received by the General Manager of Randwick City Council by 6:00pm (EST) Monday 26 July 2021.

Streets by Ward Listing

Visit our ward map to determine what Ward your street is located in, if you live in the Randwick City Council area.

Political donations

Candidates for the Local Government Elections should familiarise themselves with the Election Funding, Expenditure and Disclosures Act 1981. To assist, the NSW Electoral Commission (Funding, Disclosure & Compliance Branch) has published guidebooks and information on its website.

For more information use this link to the NSW Electoral Commission website.

Back to top