Steps for preparing a DA for lodgement

This section provides an overview of the five steps involved in preparing and lodging a Development Application (DA).

Step 1 - Seek information

The first step in preparing a development application (DA) is to find out what policies and planning controls apply to your development. This involves considering:

You will also need to determine if your proposal requires approval from another government agency (referred to as an integrated approval). If your application is integrated, you should contact the other agency as soon as possible to obtain their requirements. 

For large or complex proposals, it is recommended that you have a formal prelodgement meeting with Council to identify the key issues prior to lodgement of your DA.

Legislation and policy documents

There are a number of documents that you will need to consider when preparing your DA. These include:

  • Environmental Planning Instruments 

    The Randwick Local Environmental Plan 2012 (RLEP 2012) is the principal legal document controlling development within the City of Randwick. It contains information on how land is zoned and establishes what uses are permissible in each zone. It also contains development standards to regulate the extent of development, and provisions to conserve Randwick's heritage and natural environment.

    There are also State Environmental Planning Policies  (prepared by the State Government) which are applicable to different types of developments.

  •  Development Control Plan (DCP)

    A DCP is a policy document produced by Council that provides information and controls relating to the design and planning of developments.

    All development applications will be assessed under the Randwick Comprehensive Development Control Plan 2013 (DCP).

  •  Guidelines and Council Policies

    There are various guidelines and policies that are appropriate for different types of developments. Please refer to the City Planning policies in Council's policy documents.

For more information on legislation and policy documents, please refer to Planning Strategies and Controls.

If you are unsure which documents are applicable to your type of development, please refer to the common building projects section of this website. Alternatively, you may speak with Council's duty planner (available 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday-Friday) at Council's administration building.

Site specific planning constraints

Planning Certificate  (issued under Section 149 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act) provides formal advice on land zoning and planning controls applicable to your site.

You are also advised to liaise with Council's development engineers to determine whether your site is subject to any flood related planning considerations.

Integrated Approvals (Approval from other agencies)

Your proposal may require approval from other government agencies.  Where possible, we can help you identify relevant agencies; however, it is your responsibility to ascertain which approvals are required.

If you require approval from other government agencies, we strongly recommend that you consult with the relevant agencies as early as possible.

Prelodgement meetings

Council offers a formal pre-lodgement application assessment, which is aimed at identifying key issues at an early stage, prior to lodgement of your DA.

The service offers a meeting with relevant senior Council staff to provide applicants with early advice on their development proposal.  Formal correspondence is then provided, outlining any issues that will need to be considered prior to the subsequent lodgement of the DA. 

The service aims to provide a better understanding of the DA process and ensures there is consistency and continuity in advice provided by Council. 

For large or complex proposals it is always advisable to have a formal pre-lodgement meeting.  We charge a fee for this service; however you are likely to save time and money if you heed the advice and resolve any problems before you submit your development application.

If you would like to have a pre-lodgement meeting, you will need to lodge draft plans of your proposal (4 copies) along with the relevant Pre-lodgement Application form PDF, 76.49 KB and fees to Council. If your application is for multi-unit housing and is subject to SEPP 65, you will need to lodge an additional 6 sets of plans for referral to the design review panel (additional fees also apply).

For further information please refer to Councils Pre-Development Application Guide PDF, 150.17 KB.

Step 2 - Prepare plans and drawings

You will need to submit plans and drawings with your DA. The following list details the different plans and drawings that may be required. For more information on each type of plan, please refer to the Development Application guide PDF, 324.31 KB.

  • Site Analysis Plan
    • Required for all applications which involve external building work, except minor additions and outbuildings.
    • This plan shall illustrate and analyse existing conditions of the site in relation to surrounding land and buildings.
  • Scaled Floor Plans and Elevations
    • Generally required for all applications.
    • These drawings shall clearly document the proposed building/s and works
  • Notification Plans (A4 size)
    • 2 complete sets required for all applications.
    • These plans will be made available for the public to view through Council's website.
    • These plans shall show building heights and external configuration. Internal building layouts should not be shown.
  • Survey Plan
    • Required for new buildings, additions to existing buildings, swimming pools over 500mm above ground level, earth works, landscaping, subdivisions, and works involving construction along a boundary (e.g. fences)
    • This plan must be prepared by a Registered Surveyor and show the exact location of buildings, structures, boundaries and other features. The plan shall also show site levels.
  • Landscape Plan
    • Required for new buildings, excluding outbuildings
  • Drainage Plan
    • Required for all new buildings and alterations and additions which involve changes to stormwater drainage.
    • This plan shall illustrate how rainwater will be managed on site. Note: Concept drainage plans are generally sufficient for DA lodgement.
  • Shadow Diagrams
    • Required for all new buildings & additions that are two or more storeys in height.
    • These plans shall clearly show the shadow impacts of your proposed development
    • Elevational shadow diagrams are required for buildings which have an impact on north facing windows.
  • Sediment and Erosion Control Plan
    • Required for all new buildings
    • This plan shall show how you will prevent erosion and sediment washing onto adjoining land or into Council's drainage system
  • Subdivision Plan
    • Required for all subdivisions
  • Streetscape elevations
    • Generally required for new dwellings and first floor additions (especially in heritage conservation areas). Council may also request streetscape elevations at other times.
  • Architectural Model
    • Generally required for development proposals >15 metres in height or for sites >10,000sqm. Council may also require models for other large scale developments.
    • All models must be accompanied with a letter from the principal architect for the development confirming that the model has been checked and is consistent with their design
  • Photomontage
    • May be required by Council to facilitate assessment of the proposal in the streetscape.
    • The photomontage must be labelled with the designers name, company and credentials.

The following information is required on plans and drawings:

  • Title block - Include a title block on every plan showing:
    • Name of Architect or Draftsman;
    • Plan number and date;
    • Amendment number and date (if relevant);
    • Applicants' name; and
    • Address and description of property
  • Orientation - Include a north point on every plan. 
  • Scale - Show the scale on every plan with a bar scale so that dimensions can be easily determined on photocopy reductions. If you are lodging any plans electronically, the plans must be at a scale of 1:50, 1:100 or 1:200 when printed on A3.
  • Levels - Your plans and elevations must show relevant information such as floor levels, ground levels, roof levels, etc.  Levels and contours should be shown relative to Australian Height Datum (AHD).

Step 3 - Prepare a SEE

You will need to submit a Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE) with your DA. The statement should detail the following:

  • the nature of the proposal
  • the suitability of the site for the proposed development
  • the likely impact of the proposed development on the natural and built environment
  • a discussion on compliance with relevant Environmental Planning Instruments, Development Control Plans, and Council policies
  • design elements that minimise any adverse effects of the development
  • any social or economic impacts

Refer to the common building projects section for more information in what to include in your SEE.

Step 4 - Complete an application form

You will need to complete a development application form and checklist PDF, 220.77 KB and cost summary report PDF, 70.98 KB.

The application form must be signed by the landowner/s and by you as the applicant.  If there is more than one landowner, every owner must sign.  If the owner is a company or owners' association (body corporate), the application must be signed by an authorized person under seal.

The cost summary report must be prepared in accordance with Council's S94A development contributions plan. If the cost of your development is $500,000 or more, a detailed cost report will need to be prepared by a Registered Quantity Surveyor.

Step 5 - Lodge your application

You may use Council's online services to lodge your development application (DA) online. Alternatively you may lodge your DA directly with Council at our administration building (contact us). A Council Officer will use the Development Application checklist form to check your application. Council will only accept a DA with all necessary information.

The information provided here is general and relates to all types of applications. For more detailed information on a specific type of application, please refer to Common Building Projects.

If you would like to speak to a planning officer about the DA process, Council has a duty planner available (8:30am - 5pm, Monday to Friday) at Council's administration building, 30 Frances Street, Randwick. No appointments are necessary.

Back to top