Sat 20 Jul 2019 - Sat 20 Jul 2019
1 pm - 2.30 pm
- Lionel Bowen Library, Maroubra
- 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra
Join Ian Tyrrell, author of River Dreams, and rediscover the people and landscape of the Cooks River.
- This is a free event. A gold coin donation is required if you wish to attend an afternoon tea following the talk.
- More Information
- BYO reusable cup to help prevent waste and protect the environment. Enquiries: 9093 6400
Located in south-eastern Sydney, the Cooks River has long been renowned as Australia’s most altered and polluted river. While nineteenth century developers called it ‘improvement’, the sugar mill, tanneries and factories that lined its banks had drastic consequences for the health of the river. Local Aboriginal people became fringe dwellers, and over time the river became severely compromised, with many ecosystems damaged or destroyed. Later, a large section was turned into a concrete canal, and in the late 1940s the river was rerouted for the expansion of the Sydney Airport.
Join Ian Tyrrell, acclaimed author and academic, as he delivers a timely reminder of the need to tread cautiously in seeking to dominate, or ignore, our environment.
This is a joint talk held by the Randwick and District Historical Society and Randwick City Library.
Terms and conditions:
- Your attendance at events supported by Randwick City Council may be digitally recorded through photographs and/or video recordings. Images may be used for promotional purposes on council's websites, publications, social media or by newspapers. By attending this session you agree to these terms. If you do not wish your image (or the image of your child) to be published, please notify staff before the event.
- Bookings are essential and spaces are limited.
- If you are unable to attend please cancel your tickets as soon as possible. This will enable others to participate in the event.
- Due to the safety and enjoyment of participants, we are unable to admit latecomers to the room after the start time.
- Please arrive 10 minutes early to allow the event to run on time.
- Patrons who fail to comply with the Terms and Conditions set out above will have their tickets cancelled.