Wed 28 Jul 2021 - Wed 28 Jul 2021
6.30 pm - 7.30 pm
- Online via Zoom
Join historian Christine Yeats as she reflects on the sad history of Randwick’s ill-fated Mardi Gras celebrations.
The Randwick Municipality’s centenary celebrations began on Boxing Day 1958 with the opening of the grand Mardi Gras carnival at Coogee Beach. On the evening of 1 January 1959, holiday makers witnessed the collapse of the large ferris wheel. At least 40 people were injured, two critically. Christine will discuss the tragic accident, its aftermath and the impact on the community.
About the Author:
Christine is an archivist, researcher and professional historian. She is President of the Royal Australian Historical Society, Immediate Past President of the Independent Scholars Association of Australia (ISAA), Immediate Past Chair of ISAA NSW and Convenor of the Assessment Sub-Committee of the UNESCO Australian Memory of the World Committee.
Image courtesy of State Library of New South Wales - Mitchell Library
Registration and joining details:
Once you have registered via Eventbrite, you will receive an automatic confirmation email containing further information for the webinar. The webinar is held via Zoom. We will send you a link to join the webinar 2 hours prior and another reminder 15 minutes prior to the webinar so please check your email inbox.
If other members of the same household would like to watch the webinar on a different device than you, they will need to get their own ticket.
If you’re not familiar with Zoom we recommend you visit our library webinar FAQ's page for answers to the most common questions about joining our webinars and further details on how to join.
Terms and conditions:
- You do not need to be a Library member to attend this event, however library membership is free and you can join online.
- Bookings are essential and spaces are limited.
- If you are unable to attend, please cancel your ticket as soon as possible. This will enable others to participate in the event.
- The ticket and link to join the webinar are not transferable.
- The ticket holder/attendee is not permitted to record or distribute the webinar video. All copyright is held by Randwick City Library.
- Your ticket can be cancelled by the organiser at any time without further notice.
- Please join the event 10 minutes early to allow time for any technical setup or solving potential issues you might experience.
- Your attendance at events supported by Randwick City Council may be digitally recorded through audio and/or video recordings. These recordings may be used later on council's websites, social media, or other external websites. By joining a session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to the recording, please contact us to discuss your concerns in good time prior to the web-event date.