Randwick City Council, in conjunction with the University of NSW and Juvenilia Press, have extended the deadline for entries for the Lionel Bowen Young Writers’ Award and are calling on the school students of Randwick City to use their imagination and submit an entry until Sunday 12 August.
Named in honour of former Mayor of Randwick and former Deputy Prime Minister Lionel Bowen AC, the Lionel Bowen Young Writers’ Award aims to uncover the writing talents of young people in Randwick City and its neighbouring suburbs.
This year’s theme “plastics - choose to re-use and reduce” reflects on methods of conserving Randwick City Council's spectacular natural features. With 29 kilometres of coastline it is a place where people come to relax, enjoy the coastal views and beaches, or take a refreshing dip in the ocean. Randwick City Council is proud to be a leader in environmental stewardship and we are continually implementing innovative strategies and projects to protect our precious and very fragile coastal areas.
Entries have the chance to win fantastic prizes including prepaid gift cards, vouchers and books supplied by Juvenilia Press. Award winners will have the added thrill of seeing their work in print, when Juvenilia Press publishes a book containing all the winning entries.
How to enter
- Entry is free and open to all young people currently enrolled in Years 3 to 12 (or equivalent).
- The work can be submitted to either of the two categories in the form of a short story or a poem, with four age brackets in each category: Years 3 to 4, Years 5 to 6, Years 7 to 9 and Years 10 to 12.
- This year’s theme is “plastics - choose to re-use and reduce”, which must be referenced in the work.
- Entries can be based on personal experience or purely from and entrant’s imagination. It can be funny or serious, set in the past, present or future, in the real world or a land not yet discovered. You are only limited by your imagination!
- Entries will be accepted through the Randwick City Library website, email or in person.
- Entries close 12 August 2018.
- For further enquiries regarding the Lionel Bowen Young Writers’ award 2016, please visit the Randwick Library Website.
For more information or to enter, view the competition entry page.Back to top