The Des Renford Leisure Centre (DRLC) is an award winning facility located in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs at Heffron Park in Maroubra. It is owned and operated by Randwick City Council and comprises of state of the art gym, aerobics and pool facilities. With over 500,000 visitors per year DRLC has a large range of water and dry land activities for you to experience:
- 50 metre outdoor olympic pool
- 25 metre indoor competition pool
- 25 metre indoor training pool
- Enclosed outdoor dome pool
- Toddlers' outdoor pool
- Large, spacious gym
- Extensive range of the latest cardio equipment
- Huge range of resistance & functional training equipment
- Dedicated group fitness and cycle studio's offering over 65 classes per week
- Functional Training Zone
- School Age Fitness programs
- Stronger 4 Life ('Over 50s' fitness program)
- On- site Crèche
- BBQ, lawn and shade areas
- Car parking
- Synthetic Soccer Field - Heffron Park
Who is Des Renford?
The centre is named in honour of the late Des Renford MBE, a renowned Australian marathon swimmer. Des Renford's 19 crossings of the English Channel from 19 attempts stand as an epic achievement in Australian sport and as such, he was inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame in 2016.
Des Renford spent many hours at the centre. He generously donated his time to both the Special Olympics group and to his beloved Coffee Club. Des formed the Coffee Club to give people of all swimming abilities the opportunity to swim and share a cup of coffee together.
Both of these groups still operate within the centre and new members are warmly welcomed.
Des Renford Leisure Centre on the Big Screen
Watch the video below to see DRLC Hoyts Ad (2015)
Watch the time lapse of the construction process (2012/13).