New Year's Eve fireworks
Every year Randwick City Council proudly presents the Coogee Sparkles NYE fireworks at the family-friendly time of 9pm (note there is no midnight fireworks).
Families, local community and visitors gather along the coast at Coogee Beach to watch this fabulous 15-20 minute fireworks display. Many people make a day of it by swimming at the beach during the afternoon and enjoying a picnic dinner while waiting for the sun to set.
The fireworks are set off from Dunningham Reserve (near the Bali Memorial) which is located to the north of Coogee Beach.
Best viewing areas
The Coogee Sparkles can be seen from a distance and there are many vantage points in surrounding suburbs where you'll get a good view of the fireworks. Here are some locations:
- Goldstein Reserve, Coogee: located right next to the beach
- Grant Reserve & Trenerry Reserve: located further south but there are good viewing areas close to the coast
- Clovelly Beach car park: good view of the fireworks from the north
- Burrows Park headland: good view of the fireworks from the north
- Local restaurants and hotels: many local establishments host excellent NYE events within sight of the fireworks
Construction is underway at Coogee Beach to build a brand new amenities building. This has reduced the area available for Coogee Sparkles, but the event will go ahead as planned. Make sure you get there early to secure your spot!
A guide to Coogee NYE
- This event is popular, so arrive early to secure a spot
- Parking is limited. Be prepared to park some distance away and walk, or better still take a bus direct to Coogee Beach - visit Sydney buses website
- Glass, dogs, smoking and alcohol is banned on Coogee Beach
- Please take your rubbish with you when you leave or dispose of it responsibly
- Effective 28 February 2017, Coogee Beach and beachside parks have been declared alcohol-free.
We hope you have a great night!