Gabee Place, MALABAR Indigenous word meaning water.
Gainford Avenue, MATRAVILLE Named for Judy Gainford, a former Miss Australia. The street was constructed about 1949.
Gale Road, MAROUBRA George Gale, a Randwick Council alderman c.1898-1908. Mayor of Randwick 1902-1903.
Galu Avenue, RANDWICK Indigenous word meaning brolga.
Garden Street, MAROUBRA Possibly named because of its proximity to the nursery run by Herbert Garrett.
Garie Place, COOGEE Aboriginal word meaning national park.
Garnet Street, COOGEE Named for Garnet Wolseley (1833-1913), 1st Viscount Wolseley, British general.
George Street, RANDWICK Named for George IV. (One of a group of streets with historic names of the same period, for example Pitt Street).
Gibson Place, CHIFLEY Named for Alfred Gibson, explorer, a young member of Ernest Giles' 1874 expedition who disappeared in 1874 when searching for water near Alfred and Marie Range.
Gilderthorpe Avenue, RANDWICK Named for TR Gilderthorp, a Randwick Council alderman 1908-1917. Originally called Orange Street, and changed in 1930. When the name change was first advertised it was spelt incorrectly and that spelling has remained.
Giles Street, CHIFLEY Named for Ernest Giles (1835-1897), explorer. Dedicated in 1953.
Gipps Avenue, LITTLE BAY Named for Sir George Gipps (1791-1847), 17th Governor of NSW 1838-1846. Gipps approved the plan for Coogee to be gazetted as a village.
Glanfield Street, MAROUBRA Named in 1972 on the recommendation of Alderman AC Molloy. The Glanfield family had a long history in the Municipality, and Mr and Mrs Glanfield celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in 1972.
Glebe Street, RANDWICK Part of the Glebe Estate, land originally belonging to the church.
Glen Avenue, RANDWICK Formerly known as Dove Avenue.
Glenugie Street, MAROUBRA Possibly for the northern NSW river. Dedicated in 1943.
Glenwood Avenue, COOGEE Named by subdivider when land was subdivided on 22 September 1937.
Gloucester Lane, KENSINGTON Based on the London suburb of Kensington.
Gloucester Place, KENSINGTON Based on the London suburb of Kensington.
Goodrich Avenue, KINGSFORD Named for Lord Goodrich, secretary of state for colonies.
Goodwood Street, KENSINGTON Name of a racecourse in England.
Goolagong Place, PHILLIP BAY Named for Evonne Cawley, née Goolagong, (1951- ), Australian tennis player.
Goonda Avenue, LA PEROUSE Aboriginal word meaning dark, night, rain or cloud.
Goora Street, LITTLE BAY Aboriginal word meaning long or tall.
Govett Street/Lane, RANDWICK Formerly known as Flinders Street and Huddart Street. Named for William R. Govett (1807-1848), surveyor of the Blue Mountains.
Gumara Street, RANDWICK Indigenous word meaning possum.
Green Street, MAROUBRA Formerly known as Boyce Lane and changed to Green Street in 1972. Apparently not named for any resident.
Greenstead Lane, RANDWICK Takes its name from the building owned by the Marist Brothers, Greenstead Hall, which in turn was named for a place near Colchester, Essex.
Greenwood Avenue, COOGEE Named for William Greenwood, rector of St Nicolas Church, Coogee
Gregory Street, COOGEE Constructed in 1943.
Greville Street, CLOVELLY Portion of street formerly known as Seaview Street. Named for William C. Greville who bought 20 acres of land at Clovelly in 1834
Grose Street, LITTLE BAY Named for Francis Grose (1754-1814), 1st Lieutenant-Governor of NSW Commanded the colony for three years after Arthur Phillip's departure.
Grosvenor Street, KENSINGTON The family name of the Duke of Westminster.
Haig Lane and Street, MAROUBRA Named for Douglas Haig, 1st Earl Haig (1861-1928), British commander during World War I.
Hall Street, CHIFLEY Possible named for Charles Francis Hall (1821-1871),USA Arctic explorer.
Hamel Road, MATRAVILLE Named for Hamel, the name of a village near the Somme in northern France which was devastated in World War I.
Hampson Avenue, MAROUBRA Named for William K. Hampson, Randwick Council alderman c.1940-1950s.
Hamilton Street, COOGEE Named for Sir Ian Standish Monteith Hamilton (1853-1947), Commander-in-Chief of British forces at Gallipoli.
Hannan Street/Lane, MAROUBRA Named for Francis Hannan, Randwick Council alderman c.1902. Constructed around 1943/5.
Hargraves Place, MAROUBRA Named for Patrick R. Hargraves, a Randwick Council alderman in the 1960s. Formerly known as Pat Hargraves Place and shortened in 1970.
Harper Street, RANDWICK Changed in 1961 from Harper Lane to Harper Street.
Harrison Avenue, MAROUBRA Named for John Harrison, a former municipal engineer with Randwick Council.
Hastings Avenue, CHIFLEY Most likely named for Hastings in England, site of Norman victory over the Saxons in 1066.
Havelock Avenue, COOGEE Named for Sir Henry Havelock (1795-1857), British soldier and hero of the Indian mutiny.
Hayward Street, KINGSFORD Named for W. Hayward, Randwick Council alderman c.1900.
Helena Street/Lane, RANDWICK Changed from Clarke Street in 1943. Renamed for Helena, a character in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Nights Dream. Other streets nearby named for other characters in the same play: Titania and Oberon. A section was also originally called Elizabeth Street.
Hendy Avenue, COOGEE Originally called Pirate Street. Renamed for Roy Hendy, a Randwick Council alderman c.1890-1900. Hendy became town clerk of Sydney.
Hennegar Access, RANDWICK Indigenous word meaning shark.
Henning Avenue, KINGSFORD Constructed in 1943.
Henry Street, RANDWICK Possibly named for Henry Lee who owned land in the area in 1857. Originally called Perry Street.
Herbert Street, MALABAR Possibly named for Herbert Dudley, real estate agent in the area.
Hereward Street, MAROUBRA Named for the iron clipper, Hereward, which was wrecked on the northern end of Maroubra beach in 1898.
Higgs Street, COOGEE Originally a section of Melody Street, Coogee
High Street, RANDWICK Popular street name in English villages and towns.
Hillary Parade, MATRAVILLE Named for Sir Edmund Hillary (1919-2008), the first man to conquer Mount Everest (in 1953).
Hincks Street, KINGSFORD Named for James Hincks, a Randwick Council alderman in the early 1900s and Mayor of Randwick 1904. See also Apsley Avenue; Baker Street.
Hinkler Street, MAROUBRA Bert Hinkler (1892-1933), aviator who in 1928 became the first person to fly solo from Britain to Australia. Dedicated in 1943.
Hitchcock Street Became Nagle Street, MAROUBRA on 25 September 1931.
Hodgson Street, RANDWICK Named for Isaac B. Hodgson, a Randwick Council alderman from 1897 to the 1900s and Mayor of Randwick in 1900 and 1901.
Holden Street, MAROUBRA Named for Leslie Hubert Holden (1895-1932), pioneer airman awarded the Military Cross in 1918. He later became the Sydney manager of Holden's Motor Body Builders, the company formed by his uncle HJ Holden. Les Holden was responsible for finding Kingsford-Smith and Ulm when they disappeared in 1929. The street was constructed in 1943.
Holkham Avenue, RANDWICK Named for the town in Norfolk, England.
Hooper Street, RANDWICK Originally called Orange Street. Renamed for George Hooper who build his home there in 1848. Hooper was a market gardener and an alderman and auditor of Randwick Council.
Houston Road and Lane, KENSINGTON Named for William Houston, Randwick Council alderman c.1895-1908 and Mayor of Randwick 1898.
Howe Street, MALABAR Named for George William Howe, owner of Yarra Bay Pleasure Grounds, who was an alderman with Randwick Council c.1890s-1910, serving one term as Mayor. Died in 1916.
Howell Avenue, MATRAVILLE Named for GJ 'Snowy' Howell who received the Victoria Cross for fighting in Bullecourt, France, in 1917.
Huddart Lane, RANDWICK Named for JG Huddart, Randwick Council alderman 1903-1906.
Hughes Avenue, MAROUBRA Named for Evan H. Hughes, a Randwick Council alderman in the 1950-1960s.
Humes Street, CHIFLEY Named for Hamilton Hume (1797-1873), explorer. Dedicated in 1953.
Hunter Avenue, MATRAVILLE Named in 1958 for the NSW river which was named for John Hunter (1737-1821), second governor of NSW (Clarence and Namoi Streets dedicated at the same time).
Hurley Crescent, MATRAVILLE Captain James Francis Frank; Hurley (1890-1962), famous photographer who went to Antarctica and was an official photographer to AIF during the First World War.
Ian Street, KINGSFORD Constructed in 1943.
Iluka Place, COOGEE Aboriginal word meaning near the sea.
Ireton Street, MALABAR Possible named for Henry Ireton (1611-1651), English soldier and son-in-law of Oliver Cromwell. (Cromwell Place is nearby).
Isis Lane, KINGSFORD Local name for upper stretches of the River Thames, England (near Oxford).
Jacques Street, KINGSFORD Part changed from Bird Gully and Byrd Avenue South on 25 November 1938. Named for the Jacques family who lived in the area and owned property in the Kingsford/Kensington area.
Johnston Parade, MAROUBRA Named for NC Johnston, a Randwick Council alderman in the 1950s.
Joongah Street, RANDWICK Indigenous word meaning octopus.
Judge Street, RANDWICK Named for Judge Callaghan who lived nearby in his house, Avoca.
Kain Avenue, MATRAVILLE Named for Edgar Cobber Kain (1918-1940), a New Zealand fighter pilot in the RAF who became an early war ace.
Kara Lane, RANDWICK Aboriginal word meaning high up.
Karoo Place, PHILLIP BAY Aboriginal word meaning clouds.
Keating Street, MAROUBRA Constructed in 1945.
Kelly Street and Lane, MATRAVILLE Named for D. Kelly, a Randwick Council alderman 1908-1911
Kelso Lane, RANDWICK J. Kelso was a prominent horse trainer.
Kemp Avenue, MATRAVILLE Constructed around 1947.
Kennedy Street and Lane, KINGSFORD Formerly called Joffre Street.
Kenny Avenue, CHIFLEY Named for Victoria Cross winner, Private Thomas James Bede Kenny who won the Cross at Hermies, France on 9 April 1917.
Kensington Road, KENSINGTON Named for the suburb.
Kildare Lane, COOGEE Named for the county in Ireland.
King Street/Lane, RANDWICK Named for Named for Phillip Gidley King (1758-1808), third Governor of NSW from 1800 to 1806.
Kingsford Street, MAROUBRA Named for the suburb and dedicated in 1943.
Kitchener Street, MAROUBRA Originally called Rainbow Street and French Street. Changed in 1955. Renamed for Horatio Herbert Kitchener (1850-1916), British field marshall and statesman. Originally constructed in 1943.
Knowles Avenue, MATRAVILLE Formerly Togo Avenue. Name changed in 1943.
Knox Street, CLOVELLY Land in the area was owned by Sir Edward Knox (1819-1901), founder of the Australian Sugar Company. Sir Edward is buried in St Jude's cemetery.
Koorooera Avenue, PHILLIP BAY Aboriginal word meaning camp.
Kooringai Avenue, PHILLIP BAY Aboriginal word meaning home by the water.
Kurrawa Avenue, COOGEE Changed from O'Donnell Street in 1914. Kurrawa is an Aboriginal word meaning rough sea. Previous to O'Donnell, the street was called Paul Street. (See Council Minutes of 6 January 1914).
Kynaston Avenue, RANDWICK Edward Kynaston Wild was responsible for developing the Esmay Villa Estate in the area in 1922.
Kyogle Street, MAROUBRA Indigenous word meaning a brolga or camping ground. Most likely named for the town near the Queensland border. Constructed in 1943.
Landy Street, MATRAVILLE Named for John Landy, AC MBE, Australian athlete and Governor of Victoria from 2001 to 2006.
Lasseter Avenue, CHIFLEY Presumed to be named for Lance Harold Bell Lasseter (1880-1931?), Australian prospector who claimed a reef of gold existed in the vicinity of the Petermann and MacDonnell Ranges in the Northern Territory
Lawson Street, MATRAVILLE William Lawson (1774-1850), first to cross the Blue Mountains in 1813 with Blaxland and Wentworth. Dedicated in 1943.
Lee Street, RANDWICK Possibly named for Henry Lee who owned land in the area of what is now Lee Street in 1857.
Leonard Avenue, KINGSFORD Named by Herbert Dudley when he subdivided the area. Dudley named it after his daughter, Murielle, whose married name is Leonard.
Lexington Place, MAROUBRA US aircraft carrier in World War II which was sunk during the Coral Sea battle
Liguria Street, SOUTH COOGEE Name of a ship in the Orient line.
Lindsay Street, PHILLIP BAY Constructed in 1953.
Lion Street and Lane, RANDWICK From the Shakespearean play, A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Little Bay Road, LITTLE BAY Named for nearby Little Bay.
Little Nathan Street Became Nathan Street, COOGEE on 18 February 1927.
Loch Maree Street, MAROUBRA Name of Herbert Garrett's house which was situated nearby. The street was constructed around 1943.
Long Bay Road Became Malabar Road, SOUTH COOGEE on 17 November 1933.
Lorne Avenue, KENSINGTON Named for Lord Lorne, Duke of Argyle, son-in-law of Queen Victoria. Named in September 1913. (See Council Minutes of 30 September 1913).
Lowe Street, CLOVELLY Named for TJ Lowe, a Randwick Council alderman c.1884. Formerly called High Street
Lucas Avenue, MALABAR Named for WH Lucas, a Randwick Council alderman in the 1950s and Mayor of Randwick 1957-1958.
Lurline Street, MAROUBRA Probably named for the bay on which it ends.